• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

tattoo you?

Floridays

Cyburbian
Anyone out there have a tattoo? Ever thought about it? Or, if you have one, ever thought about getting rid of it? (a poll, maybe?)
no tattoo?
Just curious. I have thought about it in the past. I even know what the design would be. But it's just so...permanent. And probably painful. And we all know how planners like their options!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We did this a few years ago, but its sooo far back in the past, a new thread is appropriate.

Me: A gecko climbing my right shoulder blade, and a tribal armband. I want another, but gotta find just the right one first.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Sorry if it's a redundent topic...but hey, I'm a fairly newbie Cyburbian! Thanks for input. Also, WHERE on the body does it hurt the LEAST to get it done?

BKM

Cyburbian
Needles and me do not see "eye to eye" (me so funny-eye of the needle-my eye :) )

Plus, I am too old (40) and see no need to be "painfully hip." :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I wanted to but never did... I'm still more obsessed with getting a nose ring more than getting a tattoo. But since I can't have the former (due to job), I'll probably not get the latter.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Not this citizen. God did such a bang-up job making me (Mom and Dad helped too) that it would be like "gilding the rose."

I recall a fellow I used to see when I lived in Ketchikan Alaska. He ran the local tattoo parlor and he had a black, tribal-type tattoo over his whole face and tattoos everywhere else you could see. He looked to be in his twenties. Whenever I saw him, I thought "you know, this guy has severely limited his employability. He can be a tattoo artist or work in a side show. That is it." A guy with a tattoo on his face is not going to work in mainstream America. No professional job. No retail. No sales. Just putting ink in other people's skin.

H

Cyburbian
No way. Find them repulsive. However, ironically 99+/-% of my friends have one. The 1+/-% that doesn’t is my wife and I. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
NO
having to stick myself (diabetic) at least 4x day is more than enough
thank you.

JNL

Cyburbian
A friend of mine had this image of a cat that she wanted to get as a tattoo... until she saw that the exact same image is being used by a new strip club as their logo! She was not happy.

I've thought about getting one, but the permanence of it puts me off. I might not like it in 20 years time.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nope, no way, no how.

When I was younger and feuding with my dad I toyed with the idea of getting the profile of his WWII aircraft carrier in the cross hairs of a Japanese submarine's periscope tattooed on my biceps. Thankfully I came to my senses.

The Irish One

When I was younger and feuding with my dad I toyed with the idea of getting the profile of his WWII aircraft carrier in the cross hairs of a Japanese submarine's periscope tattooed on my biceps. Thankfully I came to my senses.
WOW, You were a pissed teenager! Creative too.

martini

Cyburbian
No tatoos here. Think about it fairly regularly, but funds are either lacking or better spent on bike parts when the mood strikes. Besides, I've got the natural version:

Scars!

Lots of them...from riding mostly too. My favorite are the ones I got on my arms from barbed wire that crossed a trail. Sucked at the time, but now they look kinda neat. They tell a story better than any tat ever could.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I think body mod stuff is cool as hell but no ink or extra holes on this body both for religious reasons and I cant think of anything I want with me the rest of my life.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think its funny that tattoos are so mainstream now. We took the kids to get their pictures taken and the photographer offered our 3 year old a (temporary) tattoo for being a good girl. They've gone from being something that marked you as a tough outcast to a normal accessory.

I think about it sometimes, but I'm not sure what I'd get, and if I'd still want it years from now.

Floridays

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I would be open to the idea. Don't know what, or where. What is your design, Floridays?
A crescent moon with a couple of stars. Not very original, eh? When I was in New Orleans for my 35th birthday, I opted for a belly ring instead. A tattoo is kinda...permanent. At least I can remove the ring...plus I'm a big baby when it comes to needles. Not sure I could handle the time that it takes to tattoo!

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I only have one very small one. I keep it filed under "Stupid Things You Do For A Girl". Fortunately it's just one small initial, on the back of my earlobe.

Interestingly, when getting it, the needle hurt less than the guy tearing and pulling at my earlobe to get it done.

I have considered getting another, more meaningful one, but considering what age does to them, I'll probably refrain.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re-opening an old thread.

Believe it or not, this Bear has tatoos!

Yeap! Tiny little dots....a bunch of them......that they had to put on my chest back in 1996. (They look like little blackhead-type pimples.)

When you go through radiation (which I did in 96) they have to use lasers to line-up the machine. They use the numerous dots to do that.

Anybody else out there who had radiation probably recalls this.

They also place a lead block on your adam's apple during the process.

Tribal Chest Dots Bear

donk

Cyburbian
One of the forums I read regularily was discussing this topic and how it impacted a pro cyclist.

Story includes before and after pics of a full face tattoo

Groovy Iguana

I have one of a woman's symbol with a tree growing around it (designed it myself- not one of those "I want #27s". Got it in Venice Beach when I got out of college (I went on a cross-country trip and came back with it). My mom was not pleased. It's on my deltoid, though, so I can even wear a short sleeve shirt and look professional. You can see it through the lace on the wedding dress though. I kinda like it.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
None here, but I do sort of want one.It would have to be something oiginal, not into the hearts, roses, dolphins or tribal design off the wall of the tat shop. And altough I do not practice, my family is Jewish and its is not acceptable to alter my body...year from now it may be something I regret.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
The wife got her first on valentine's day. I have none.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Anybody else out there who had radiation probably recalls this.

They also place a lead block on your adam's apple during the process.
Ditto on the dots here. I have three, and the lead covered the remaining jewel. ;) No desire for anymore dots or other tatoos. :)