• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tax Exempt Status of Universities

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What do you think about the trend of cities rolling back the tax exempt status of universities? Is it an immoral shakedown, or a way to get universities to contribute their "fair share" toward a city's needs?

Local example

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I didn't feel like registering so I didn't read the article, but I think that Universities should remain tax exempt, but they should be required to have a Payment In Lieu of Taxes to cover their fair share of infrastructure upgrades and maintenence.

biscuit

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
Universities should remain tax exempt, but they should be required to have a Payment In Lieu of Taxes to cover their fair share of infrastructure upgrades and maintenence.
I agree totally. One reason we are having budget problems here in my city is due to the massive amount of (very valuable) property owned by the critical mass of universities and non-profits. Most all infrastructue is supplied by the city with no (fiscal) return.