• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Tax incentives to stem residential sprawl?

tdfellrath

Originally posted by tdfellrath

I'm trying to locate information on an initiative (in Illinois, I think) that provides siginificant property tax incentives to those who locate their residence within a specific distance of their place of work.

Does anyone know of this - perhaps with a web link that I might research further? Please reply via email to tdfellrath@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have heard of some discussion of a "sprawl tax," but have not seen a definition or firm discussion there. I have also heard of the concept of "transportation efficient mortgages" which I thought some state like maybe Maryland was trying to pursue--that would provide lower taxes or mortgage rates for loans in a smart growth area, I assume. Don't have any leads for this type unless you want to try the Marland Office of State Planning.

John Morgan

Is anyone aware of communities that give tax credits for new businesses that reuse existing VACANT properties for establishing the new businesses? I am deeply concerned about the build up of new commercial properties while existing properties are vacant and available for use. I'd like to draft a county ordinance that gives tax breaks to businesses that move into vacant commercial properties. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jde

NY State has just completed the draft regulation to implement the nation's first State credit program for the design and construction of environmentally "green" buildings. You can find more infomation on this at www.dec.state.ny.us and click on the "education and information" link. While this may not specifically be what you are looking for, it could possibly point to some areas that you could further explore. There are some provisions written in it that give tax incentives for reclamation projects, but it may only be possible to get those breaks if the new project is executed in an environmentally sound manner.