• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Tech Deathmatch #1

What do you prefer? (no both answers)

• Land Line

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Cell Phone

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Internet Phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As inspired by the what things will take over other things (noontime post), there was talk of Cell Vs. Land Line phones. So I am going to do a Poll…

I personally have not had a Land Line in about 3 years now. I have not missed any part of it. I have wireless internet at my apt, and my cell has worked just about everywhere I have been. Free Long Distance, no Roaming Charges, Caller ID, Voice Mail, Internet, Text Messaging, Cheese Grader, Ok no Cheese Grader but they do so much, why bother with several phone lines, or pieces of equipment. Mine is an older Motorola V60i. It has a datebook, calculator, and even has internet access.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have to keep my land line. With a child at home, I can't just leave the house and take the only phone with me. And he won't be getting his own cell phone for a few years yet.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
land line

Cells are good, but having a land line is more confining and does prevent one from constantly checking your stupid cell all the time.

Just because a technology is newer, does not mean it is better.

Though, if never had to answer another phone call ever again, I would be happy.

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
...Cheese Grader, Ok no Cheese Grader...
Slightly OT: Now there is a piece of tech equipment I could use: something that grades cheese, say, on a bell curve or something. :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
land line

Cells are good, but having a land line is more confining and does prevent one from constantly checking your stupid cell all the time.

Just because a technology is newer, does not mean it is better.

Though, if never had to answer another phone call ever again, I would happy.

Hey Mendelman, I take.... wait a minute.. cell is ringing.. ok.. i'm back.. I take offense to that! My cell phone never keeps me... dammit.. ringing again.. i'll finish this later. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
boiker said:
Hey Mendelman, I take.... wait a minute.. cell is ringing.. ok.. i'm back.. I take offense to that! My cell phone never keeps me... dammit.. ringing again.. i'll finish this later. ;-)

Ahhhh, very good boikerson! :-D

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Like ZG, the main reason I'm sticking with a landline is that there are two of us in one household. I don't actually own a cellphone - I don't need one right now.

We have a landline and 3 cellphones, only we haven't bought new minutes for our son's cell phone in ages and may not actually still have a number for it. Basically we are Phone Addicts and my extended family would have tried to get me into a Twelve Step Program for this years ago...except keeping in touch with them via phone is a major contributing factor to my Problem with Phone Addiction.

..... er... I bet no one wanted that much detail (excess detail deleted -- short version: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where "everyone" has a cell phone or three).

nerudite

Cyburbian
The cellphone plans up here in Canada are a total ripoff...nothing at all like what we see on t.v. ads from the States. It's sad too, because I'll see something on t.v. and go "sweet, we HAVE to get that", and then we'll remember that we are watching the Spokane station. D'oh! So until we get those amazing cell rates a la michaelskis, it will stay land lines for us.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I had a cell phone from 1997 to 2000 (one of those old "bag phones")....and went without until a month ago.....now, I see it as a cost cutting measure, don't want to pay for both the cell and landline.....Planner Groupie may have a say in this, and may want a land line at our new place....but I have no plans for a landline at the new house.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
and may want a land line at our new place....

What the??? How long have you known her? I am going to know a person for at least a year before I go that direction. Until then, I will just keep in touch with them on the Cell phone.

NHPlanner

Staff member
michaelskis said:
What the??? How long have you known her? I am going to know a person for at least a year before I go that direction. Until then, I will just keep in touch with them on the Cell phone.

LOL. :)

More details to come later before I answer those questions.....

JNL

Cyburbian
I wouldn't want to be without my cell phone, which I often use for text messaging. Almost everyone my age has one here. Calls from our landline are still much cheaper though. I have a prepay connection so I only pay for what I use (no contract). It's pretty cool to be able to send international text messages for only NZ $0.20.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I prefer a land line. Primarily because the land line is in one place and doesn't go around with me on my hip. I hate the telephone. Almost every time it rings, it is someone I don't want to talk to and possibly it is bad news (at work, someone who isn't happy or wants to ask me to do something that is going to throw a wrench into my day, or at home, someone who wants to ask me for my money). Not being accessible part of the time is a plus for me.

The allure of having a damned phone on my belt or in my car eludes me. I have a good friend who is a phone junkie. He was a land line, a cell phone and a pager. We went on a camping trip to Glacier National Park once. After three days, he was going nuts. He had to pop into a pay phone and call someone! It was an absolutely unnecessary phone call - something about plans for a friend's birthday party he wasn't going to attend. He just had to yak.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
The allure of having a damned phone on my belt or in my car eludes me.

I don't get it, either. I have a cell phone, but I only turn it on when I need to make a call (maybe 3 or 4 times a month) or if I'm away from the office for a few hours (in case my son's school calls). I generally figure it's for MY convenience. Nevertheless, it really ticks people off (even friends) who assume/demand I should have it on all the time so they can reach me. Most of the time, it sits in my car, turned off.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I don't get it, either. I have a cell phone, but I only turn it on when I need to make a call (maybe 3 or 4 times a month) or if I'm away from the office for a few hours (in case my son's school calls). I generally figure it's for MY convenience. Nevertheless, it really ticks people off (even friends) who assume/demand I should have it on all the time so they can reach me. Most of the time, it sits in my car, turned off.

Exactly the way I use mine. They don't need to reach me when I am on my own time, and if I am in a meeting, the person I am meeting with gets my full attention. I'll eave it on when expecting an important call, of when making a call, but that is it.

I use my land line for phone and DSL, and maybe I will give Vonage a try. Anyone out there used it yet? Dan?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Zoning Goddess said:
Pretty much how I use mine, too. Can't see myself without a land line.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I voted Cell Phone.

I did a way with my land line about 2 years ago. the only thing I miss about it is intenet. Once upon a time I had cable internet but I found myself sitting infront of the computer to all hours of the night. So I ditched that.

When Ms. PBD moves in with me I think I'm gonna have to get a land line, probabley her number.

jmf

Cyburbian
Land Line - after working for a cell company for a year and being attached to a phone it will be a while before I want another cell phone. My husband has one for his work - that is enough.

I like ignoring the phone.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I thoughyt I might have been the last person on the planet to get a cell phone. Last December, thanks to pressure from loved ones, I went ahead and dumped my land line switch my number over to a cell phone and put the SO under my plan. I can say that although it has been more convenient, it hasn't been any cheaper. Yeah, I can call all over the lower 48 for free, and thats a major help with most all of my friends and family living in different states, bu the fiancee seems to keep having problems with staying under her allotted number of prime minutes. $$$$$$$$ :-c

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

I use my phone like I would use a regular land line. I don't answer calls when I am at work, and they can leave a message. I do keep it with me most the time so I can check my voice mail, and see who is calling on the ID. That way if it is an emergency, I can react to it in approperate time, but if it is not, then I don't have to worry about it.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
in my old apartment, i started to run short on cash and re-evaluated some of my spending. i realized that i was paying $45 for a cell phone and $50 for a land line. The cell got tons of use and the land line was just a very pricey answering machine. I called the bell and asked about a cheaper plan and there wasn't one that allowed me to keep caller ID (the world's greatest invention). so i ditched the land line and got more minutes on the cell and still saved about $25 a month in the end.

viva le cell!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
BUMP THE THREAD

It as been a decade since I started this thread, and I wanted to know if people still had the same feelings about land lines and cell phones?

10 years ago, I preferred a cell phone over land line. I don't think I have had a land-line in more than a decade now.

wahday

Cyburbian
Did away with the land line about 3 years ago when we realized that it had mainly just become something that we ignored in the evenings when solicitators would call. We still have a connection because our internet is DSL and that uses the phone lines. But we saved some money by canceling the phone service.

Having said all of that, one thing I DON’T like about my cell phone is the delay. Talking to people can be awkward as the delay causes you to constantly talk over each other. Fine if it’s a friend but not when it is professional.

NHPlanner

Staff member
No landline at home for over a decade...though we do "pay" for one in our cable bill (to take advantage of other bundled services) that has never been connected.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
When I went away to college in 2005, we had landlines when I lived in the dorms the first two years (2005-2007), although I recall barely using them. Then, when I moved into an apartment in 2007, I never had a landline again. My parents had one until about 2013.

At work, I do still prefer the landline, although I could do without all the junk calls. The main numbers for two of our divisions are directed to my line, so we do get a lot of junk calls from time to time.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Went land land free 7 years ago. Lousy AT&T customer service and only getting wrong numbers/telephone solicitations pretty much killed the desire to have one.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
No landline at home for over a decade...though we do "pay" for one in our cable bill (to take advantage of other bundled services) that has never been connected.

Same. It was $15 cheaper a month for the bundle. The installer asked if we wanted to test the phone line. He laughed when I explained to him that I haven't had a land line since 2002 and I didn't have a phone to plug into the line.