• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Forum games 🎲 Teh Synonym Game

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ever play the game 'telephone' when you were a kid? You know the one where everyone in a classroom sits in a circle and one person starts out by whispering something to their neighbor and they in turn pass the message along to the next person and so on. Once the message has been passed through everyone in the circle and the gets back to the originator big laffs typically ensue when it's announced how significantly the message has changed during its' circuit. Let's try something similar to that on Cyburbia, except the point of the exercise is to demonstrate how much nuance our choice of words really possess.

I will throw out a single word and the next person will respond by supplying a synonym (you know, a word that supposedly means the same thing) for the word the previous poster provided and so on. Let's see how much the meaning of the original word changes once it has passed through several hands.

In the event two people end up posting responses at the same time, the next poster may choose between which one to wish to respond to.

I'll start:

"beautiful"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wow, it only took 6 responses to pretty much do a 180! I wonder if it's possible to intentionally torque things in a particular direction? Is it possible, and if so how many responses would it take, to do a complete 360 and get back to "beautiful" (without simply using a reverse route)?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Wow, it only took 6 responses to pretty much do a 180! I wonder if it's possible to intentionally torque things in a particular direction? Is it possible, and if so how many responses would it take, to do a complete 360 and get back to "beautiful" (without simply using a reverse route)?

If you really want to do that, here's my Texas two step to 360.

frightful -> awesome -> beautiful

fringe

Cyburbian
Rilke said Beauty is nothing but Terror which we are still just able to bear.