• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Teh Vague Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've got two questions and I'm hoping y'all might have some answers.

1. You know, why did they set up so many DIFFERENT things the same way? I mean, if things are that different it seems they should have a really different sort of way to set it up, shouldn't they?

2. Ever since the Powers That Be went through that period of time where they made all those bad decisions, nothing has gone right. Why do you suppose they did that in the first place?

Also, I (and probably a number of other folks) am happy to provide answers to any vague questions you might have.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just what are you asking about anyway ? :-D ;) :p :-$

Just so you know the answer is always 42.

wahday

Cyburbian
Maister, you need to understand that the sameness of the differences essentially required a de facto common response. Otherwise, the sameness would have become so different as to be unmanageable.

As for those bad decisions, I think it was mostly a PR stunt. Since a lot of it happened in the '70s, they may have confused colloquial meanings of "bad" that actually mean "good" and therefore ushered in a whole slew of bad decisions that WERE bad, but not "bad." That's what happens when government tries to be hip...

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
What is this "vague" that you refer to?

In reply to question number one, I've been assured that while there may be appear to be many different things set up the same way that they are, in fact, set up differently although that may not be apparent to the untrained eye.

As for number two, those people spent a lot of time, much of it at their own expense, to ensure that all the solutions were equitable for everyone and, if you really appreciated that fact, you would not refer to them as "bad decisions".

I'm sure that others can provide affirmation and documentation as well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Maister, you need to understand that the sameness of the differences essentially required a de facto common response. Otherwise, the sameness would have become so different as to be unmanageable.
I'm in general agreement with this BUT for the fact that in many instances the mode (not necessarily the mean and definitely not the average) of that quotient of difference hardly warrants the commonality found in the responses. This can be measured in a number of different ways. I'm sure you merely overlooked this consideration.

ofos said:
As for number two, those people spent a lot of time, much of it at their own expense, to ensure that all the solutions were equitable for everyone and, if you really appreciated that fact, you would not refer to them as "bad decisions".
Why does this response coming from you not surprise me one bit? I don't know how you could characterize some of their solutions as 'equitable' when you consider that the grossest injustices to those least able to deal with the situation resulting from those decisions far outweighs the rather meagre benefits offered to the numerically larger group of people who 'benefitted' (and I use that term loosely) from them.:-@ And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.:r:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I can't remember the name of that piece of entertainment with the guy from that show with the people who walked around and talked to each and wore clothing.

Do you know?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can't remember the name of that piece of entertainment with the guy from that show with the people who walked around and talked to each and wore clothing.

Do you know?
Oh wait a minute I know this, it's on the tip of my tongue....wasn't that the same one where the other guys in that piece of entertainment were also involved in a very similar form of entertainment (and I'm pretty sure it involved some women who were clothed and talked too) what was that called.....oh this is killing me, it's right there. Maybe someone else can recall? I know exactly what you're talking about, though.

Otis

Cyburbian
Why does this response coming from you not surprise me one bit? I don't know how you could characterize some of their solutions as 'equitable' when you consider that the grossest injustices to those least able to deal with the situation resulting from those decisions far outweighs the rather meagre benefits offered to the numerically larger group of people who 'benefitted' (and I use that term loosely) from them.:-@ And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.:r:

This is exactly, more or less, the kind of thing you never, usually, see reported in the mainstream media.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.:r:
Oh, that's easy for you to say! Especially knowing that you actively campaigned to promulgate insinuation of machiavellian malfeasance and misconduct to further deflect criticism from your own paltry efforts to promote a plethora of platitudinous and pusillanimous positions. For shame!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Oh wait a minute I know this, it's on the tip of my tongue....wasn't that the same one where the other guys in that piece of entertainment were also involved in a very similar form of entertainment (and I'm pretty sure it involved some women who were clothed and talked too) what was that called.....oh this is killing me, it's right there. Maybe someone else can recall? I know exactly what you're talking about, though.
It's coming to me, too...I think, but, this may be apocryphal, I think it involved more...you know...those people that delighted in those things with hinged edges and acid washed finishes.

Ya know, right?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh, that's easy for you to say! Especially knowing that you actively campaigned to promulgate insinuation of machiavellian malfeasance and misconduct to further deflect criticism from your own paltry efforts to promote a plethora of platitudinous and pusillanimous positions. For shame!
Would it be too much to ask you to stay on topic? You make it sound like this is all about ME. All the Byzantine machinations of your silopsisticly slanted stratagems only prove how desperately devoid of dunnage your dulcet and demeaning detractions truly are.

wahday

Cyburbian

Do you know?
The one starring Rory Calhoun standing and walking? No, I can't recall either...

And Maister, where did you learn your math, at an all-ages Canadian dance party!? The problem clearly requires that you invert the quotient as an integer of the mode's root. Its calculus, not rocket science! "Quotient of difference" indeed - feh!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Maister, you really need to ask that guy, you know, the guy with the hair and the big what'cha-ma-callit. He lives just down the street from that lady that does that thing. Anyway, it is kind of a big house with a bush in front. There is a car parked out front. I think it is red. Maybe.

Anyway, you should ask him. He has been a big help to me whenever I have had a question like yours. If he doesn't know, don't sweat it. Because I know that he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who can help you. He went to a fancy college back East somewhere, with ivy growing all over the buildings and lots of pretty coeds wearing emo glasses. You know the one I am talking about? If you don't know, ask that guy. He will remember or he will know a guy who knows.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Moi Off Topic?

Would it be too much to ask you to stay on topic? You make it sound like this is all about ME. All the Byzantine machinations of your silopsisticly slanted stratagems only prove how desperately devoid of dunnage your dulcet and demeaning detractions truly are.
Of all the accusations of topical vaguity, this is the most amorphous, blurred, dim, doubtful, fuzzy, generalized, hazy, ill-defined, imprecise, indefinite, indeterminate, indistinct, lax, loose, nebulous, obscure, shadowy, uncertain, unclear, unknown, unspecified, and woolly misrepresentation.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you don't know, ask that guy. He will remember or he will know a guy who knows.
I owe you a debt of gratitude that I may or may not be able to ever repay depending on the degree of helpfulness your advice generally provided.

wahday said:
The problem clearly requires that you invert the quotient as an integer of the mode's root
Well duh. I, however, was referring only to those sets of real integers that are non-prime subsets of their own squared cotangents.

Otis

Cyburbian
Well duh. I, however, was referring only to those sets of real integers that are non-prime subsets of their own squared cotangents.
You make otterpop's point for him with this statement. Did you think we wouldn't notice? Sheesh. The whole context of the thing demands this in a way.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
The only thing that I can think of when I read this thread is that you all may sort of be making fun of my comments, or some of my comments, or my writing style, or how I sometime break off topics into a tangent, you know what I mean? Think others do this too, but I'm not sure you know?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
The only thing that I can think of when I read this thread is that you all may sort of be making fun of my comments, or some of my comments, or my writing style, or how I sometime brak off topics into a tangent. Think others do this too, but I'm not sure you know?
While I can't speak for everyone or even some of those who may or may not have participated in this or other threads related by synergy of activity, I can conclusively demonstrate that none were or are or might have participated in any way to reach beyond the disambiguation so urgently sought when dispersing knowledgeable fragments relating to a proclivity for nominative acclimation of transient thoughts.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wait a minute, it has to be that guy whose song is on the radio and he sings at the same time as he plays his instrument. You know the song has a good beat and when you hear it you know exactly who it is.

wahday

Cyburbian
Oh, you mean all the pretty ones...

I'm not sure if it is or isn't, but one thing I do know for sure is that it will make it through the winter, even if left outside. And don't worry, the color will come back if you add some vinegar.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This thread reminds me of that silly Monty Python skit. :-D ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What do they call those things that, you know, do all that stuff like you see on those tv commercials? And just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm talking about the really good ones, not those lame-arsed ones.

The One

Cyburbian
A vague response....

You need to remember that IT IS WHAT IT IS and once you realize this, you can move on to the important task of setting goals and meeting deadlines. They are who they are and in most cases that's a good thing. If you think outside the box and redifine the paradigm, you might be able to adjust the reality of your situation. Look beyond the short term solution and gauge your response based on long term aspirations and needs. If you end up dealing with a person who has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel, just wait a little longer and things will most likely work out just fine.

This post is dedicated to RJ:r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
And Furthermore

This thread borders on the lame. Almost as lame as that one thread that somebody told you about once long ago on a planet far away near the thing that wouldn't go home because of the queesy.

As that one actor said in that one great movie, "But that's another story."

And it was, or actually it wasn't but I was sure it was, at least until the quo.

Bear (or somebody like him, maybe, on account of)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The first thing to know is that there's no first thing to know. It's like the old "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" -- even though one of those ancient philosophers argued that it had to be the chicken because 'without the chicken the egg only had the possibility of becoming a chicken' thing I guess. Which reminds me, Paul Simon wrote "Mother and Child Reunion" after seeing chicken and eggs on a breakfast menu in some diner somewhere. Everybody raves about the movie 'Diner' but I guess I just didn't get it, which isn't really surprising since I'm sort of out of touch with modern culture. Like I was saying I think string theory really kind of holds the basis of where we came from and where we were when things kind of became knowable except that there weren't any creatures out there then that had the ability to know. Anyway, he or she that has the most knows at the end get to call the dance and pay the fiddler or something like that. There's this Starving Artist art sale this weekend with gi-Hugic oil paintings for sale and I'm thinking 'bout checking it out --absolutely nothing more than $59. This could be the first thing I do to start my domination of my neighborhood. You can't win the Battle of Gettysburg without winning the First Day, you know? My dad always said that and he was RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Planit

Cyburbian
"There are known things; ther are things we know we know. We also know there and known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

AnvilPartners

Cyburbian
But it goes to eleven

It must be louder, it goes to eleven...I mean really...it's so simple...

Personally though, you have to have some goals, because that's what will help you form objectives, and working towards objectives is how you succeed, isn't it? So go out and get yourself a few goals and then use them to set those objectives...which will lead you to achieve your goal and then you will have succeeded, and that means you'll be happy -- HooRaaaayyy!

Otherwise, you might as well file for unemployment and have a few beers, but I bet while you're relaxing and enjoying your down time you'll begin to fantasize about happyness, and then, well, there you're off again, setting goals and working towards objectives...

You might even try to be a contrarian, but even so, to try that means you have to plan and set a goal or two...so there you have it again -- trapped by the human desire to seek happyness and our genetic predisposition to the herd mentality of the rat race.

I say chuck it all, turn it up to eleven, and rock the goals right out of your brain...it's kind of like washing clothes but funner, and enjoy the entropy until you sober up and decide to pursue happyness again.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Somebody mentioned that that one thread was dull. They mentioned it just after the clock clicked to some number.

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Don't you hate when animals mess things up or create situations?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What do you do when um you know um that thingy um does um you know what ? :-c 8-!

Rygor

Cyburbian
I heard there was something going today, but I forgot what it was. Does anybody know? I'm pretty sure it was something interesting, or profound.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I heard there was something going today, but I forgot what it was. Does anybody know? I'm pretty sure it was something interesting, or profound.
Yeah, I heard that too. I believe it's going on downtown.

boiker

Cyburbian
Yeah, I heard that too. I believe it's going on downtown.
It is! I read about it. I went last year and it was great. ----But for the life of me, I can't remember which downtown. I remember the sidewalks, trees, and--oh! There were some rather large buildings-- ya know-- the ones that are distinctly different in size and scale than in the suburban areas and have that "it" that you just can't miss. I'm sure someone will know where I'm talking about. One thing is for sure, most people never forget it when they've been there and are surely to remember when they picture it.

It is! I read about it. I went last year and it was great. ----But for the life of me, I can't remember which downtown. I remember the sidewalks, trees, and--oh! There were some rather large buildings-- ya know-- the ones that are distinctly different in size and scale than in the suburban areas and have that "it" that you just can't miss. I'm sure someone will know where I'm talking about. One thing is for sure, most people never forget it when they've been there and are surely to remember when they picture it.
I can see it from my house!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How do you get there ?
Easy. Just go down the main drag for a ways and then turn at the second major intersection. There's a bunch of different buildings around there. Can't miss it.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Easy. Just go down the main drag for a ways and then turn at the second major intersection. There's a bunch of different buildings around there. Can't miss it.
No, there's construction over there on the main drag. Instead, you need to go over on the street past the big church, then turn left and go a few blocks, this street will turn into that street, and dump you out where you want to go with no stoplights, if you don't get lost.

Queen B

Cyburbian
All I have to say on the topic is that the state of nullibicity is quite the place to be. Have you been there. Some have been there while others wish they could. Once my mother was there. She took some others with her. Do you remember them? They were the ones from across the street. South I think. Or maybe it was some other direction. They had a dog was it mean or nice? I can't remember, can you?