• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Televison Reality Shows - WTF!?!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Televison Reality Shows - What the f...!?!

Mtv sparked an explosion of reality-based television shows with its, "Real World." Reality shows now dominate the tube. There are so many that at least one of them make you holla, "What the f...!?!

In your opinion, what's the worst and best reality-based show(s)on the tube?

What's up?

For me, the worst ones are those in which a person selects their marriage partner and the best one is, "Cheaters." For those who don't know, "Cheaters" busts those who cheat on their so-called significant others...confrontations are very funny.

I love "Cheaters" and I got addicted to MTV's "Making the Band 1 & 2."

Does the old Tom Green show count as reality?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I can't comment. I won't watch any of them. Over the past couple of months my TV is usually only on Thursday and Saturday nights for a couple hours.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
TV? What's that? Over the past month, I've probably watched no more than a couple of hours of TV. I'm out of the apartment around 6:30am, and back around 10-10:30pm. The joys of renovating an older house, eh?

Even if I was sitting in front of the TV every night, I still wouldn't watch so-called "reality" TV

biscuit

Cyburbian
IMO there is no best reality show and ,as a general rule, I don't watch them. Although, I will be honost and admit that I have been watching Newlyweds on MTV.

H

Cyburbian
I don’t watch them. But people at the office talk about TV sooo much I bet I could tell you all about most any show on the air.

dull, dull, dull... :(

Edit: I do watch some tv, just not reality shows. I watch mostly documentaries and such on the history channel (which I guess is a type of reality show). Also, BBC America has a lot of great comedy shows.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Fear Factor is just plain revolting.
I saw Fear Factor at the bar of a Chinese restaurant while waiting for my take-out. That was especially revolting. 8-!

The reality hip-hop dancing show on MTV is hilarious. They take themselves so seriously and the host thinks he's the hottest guy in the world.

H

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I saw Fear Factor at the bar of a Chinese restaurant while waiting for my take-out. That was especially revolting. 8-!
Last spring, in a bar, I saw a Japanese game show where people ran obstacle courses and really got hurt. It was wild. Everyone in the bar became into it. I have no idea what it was or what channel it was on.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I don't watch any "reality TV" shows. My husband and my closest friend are fans of "Survivor," however, so I have to listen to them talk about it all the time. :(

My TV-watching has declined considerably in the last few years. Between books, the Internet, and my organizational commitments, I don't have the time to watch much TV.

(I can't wait for "24" to start back up again, though!)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Last spring, in a bar, I saw a Japanese game show where people ran obstacle courses and really got hurt. It was wild. Everyone in the bar became into it. I have no idea what it was or what channel it was on.
They have turned these into a great show on SpikeTV called Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. It's one of the few shows we watch semi-regularly.

I don't watch too much else 'reality tv'... except home improvement stuff like Trading Spaces.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Fear Factor is just plain revolting.
Heard what Universal Studios is doing for its Halloween Horror Nights this year? For an extra $5, they will lock your head in a box while your choice of snakes, worms, or roaches crawls all over your head. Lovely idea, huh?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jmf said:
[ot]and a couple of others who proudly announce they don't have cable.
[/ot]
Oooo! Oooo! My turn!

I don't have cable or stallite.

(Did I do that right?)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
They all suck. Anyone who watches them is a moron.

Even if your watching to make fun of it, your still watching and contributing to those Neilson ratings and enabling the advertisers to get more exposure.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'm too occupied with other things to watch television....I just make time for movies and the occasional news...

BUT, it seems like everytime I go to the gym in the evening, FEAR FACTOR is on. That show makes me literally want to throw up- why are people turned on by someone else's illness, sickness, and fear? I can't watch it.

Planderella said:
I also got addicted to A Wedding Story while I was at home this summer.
When I was planning mine, I shared your addiction. Now its a Baby Story. Maternity Ward is way too scary, though.

I do admit I was one of the jackasses that got sucked into Survivor last night. But making them wear the clothes on their backs for 39 days? Temendous.

moose

When we DID have cable, Husband and I watched Trading Spaces religously, but now it's just movies and news.

I miss the History Channel.....

Jen

Cyburbian
I LOVE the new ER Drama on TLC, the other night they brought in a guy involved in a motorcycle accident, he lost THREE limbs, they were washing his stumps it was fascinating. The range of emotions experienced watching that is incredible. It's on late at night, I switch 'tween stern and trauma -

Damn, though that poor biker, and just when I'm about take possession of another 650 to start riding again! :-C

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
that's not MY reality!!!

Ok. I know it's been a while since we've seen this thread, so I thought I'd bring it back to life...
Here's my latest 'reality television' gripe:

I generally like to watch the design-on-a-dime type shows that give me ideas of how to renovate, remodel, or just plain improve my living space without doubling my debt. This weekend, I sat down to watch one of these shows focusing on a kitchen remodel. While I totally understand that the kitchen is probably the most expensive room in the house, the people were struggling with their $30,000 budget (did I mention this was for ONE room), and the show kept point out ways to 'trim the fat' and keep their remodel costs down.
How wonderful for these people to have that kind of money, but please don't market the show and try to reach the fixer-uppers out there. This was not a fixer-upper episode and it really makes me mad that it was marketed as such!!!
I watch these shows for tips, not to be depressed because after buying the sink, I'd already be over my budget!!:-@

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'll have to throw in with the rest of the anti reality show people. Everyone on them appears to have a severe case of look at me syndrome.