• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Tell Me About Your God

Tell me about your God

• God is loving

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • God is vengeful

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • "God" who? I'm an atheist

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Let me tell you more below...

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
What is your God like? Is God loving? Is God vengeful? Is God there to comfort you? Or is God a bizarre concept that has no meaning to the rational mind?

Why do I ask? Because I got one of those pesky glurgey e-mails today. I have cut and paste it for your examination. Please read and pay particular attention to the part I have bolded - that is what got me pissed off about God this morning. Perhaps more accurately, I am pissed off at certain types of people who like to take world events and re-interpret them to fit into a "positive" framework that casts God as the almighty comforter in an otherwise "confusing" world.

Here is the sick shit I refer to:

"Where God Wants Me To Be

Next time your morning seems to be going wrong and the children are slow getting dressed and you can't seem to find the car keys and you hit every traffic light, don't get mad or frustrated; praise God instead because God is at work watching over you.

After Sept. 11th, I happened to call a man on business
whom I didn't know and haven't nor will probably ever talk to again. But on this particular day, he felt like talking. He was the head of security for a company that had invited the remaining members of another company who had been decimated by the attack on the Twin Towers to share their office space. With his voice full of awe he told me stories of why these people were alive and their counterparts were dead. In the end, all the stories were just about the little things that happen to us.

You might know, the head of the company got in late that day because his son started kindergarten. Another fellow was alive because it was his turn to bring donuts. There were other stories that I hope and pray will someday be gathered and put in a book._ The one that struck me was the man who put on a new pair of shoes that morning, took the various means to get to work, but before he got there, he developed a blister on his foot. He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid. That is why he is alive.

Now when I am stuck in traffic, miss an elevator, turn back to answer a ringing telephone...all the little things that annoy me...I think to myself, this is exactly where God wants me to be at this very moment. May God continue to bless you with all those annoying things. Pass this on to someone else, if you'd like. There is no luck attached, in fact I don't believe in luck, what you think is luck is in fact God's intervention!!!!! If you delete this, it's okay: God's love is not dependent on e-mail."

Un-f*cking believable crap. I want to throw-up. Since when did God flush free will down the toilet? The implication of the bolded phrase suggests that God wanted all those people inside the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11, 2001, because this is exactly where God wants me to be. So God is a bloodthirsty murderer? That's what I get out of that, do you? Some people can be so damn stupid.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Great!!! I have another excuse for when I am late.

"I was late, boss, becasue God didn't want me to die like all those souls he sacrificed in NYC."^o)

This email is obviously from some silly, 2 week old born again, nondemoninational, evangelical. (sorry, born-agains)

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
AND WE THOUGHT THE GUN ISSUE WAS A HOT POTATO !!!!

I will only comment, if others want to hear my thoughts so as to avoid undesired debate. In short, I sit on the fence. If you want to know why, let me know and give me a little time?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Budgie, you ignorant slut... ;)

Budgie, please, after you....

I promise to be kind.

After this we can do Abortion! Whoo Hoo....

Alan - I agree 100% with you. When we were going through our whole infertility crap, I was talking about how discouraged I felt to one of our secretaries and she told me "Not to worry about it, honey. God has a plan for you, and I know he'll give you a little baby when he's ready to." ???? WTF?

The part of the email that has me scratching my head is the "luck is actually god's intervention". You're right - does that include bad luck?

As for beliefs, I checked atheist, but I'm really agnostic. I wouldn't ever want to assume that I have any clue about these larger theological issues.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: Budgie, you ignorant slut... ;)

el Guapo said:
Budgie, please, after you....

I promise to be kind.
I am of the opinion that you and I need to enter into a "orderly communication pact", in which rules of dialogue are clearly defined, so that misinterpretations, ill conceived references and topical parameters as set by mutual agreement. We need to get the State Department involved.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If there is a god(s), I am sure he/she/it/they are apathetic about us. (By "us" I of course do not mean Cyburbanite, who are god's chosen people, but everyone else, who are all sinful in his eye.)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
God is an absentee land lord with a twisted form of humor-he could care less what the frail human do.

Jeff

Cyburbian
....another vote for the Budgie theory.

BTW... I believe in God...who is God? I don't know, and I don't think we have the ability to "know" God.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have had some experiences that tell me there is a God, but how that squares with my science background, I havn't sorted out. it works in my life so that is the important thing....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
giff57 said:
I have had some experiences that tell me there is a God, but how that squares with my science background, I havn't sorted out. it works in my life so that is the important thing....
[Begin minor theological discussion}

you can begin to square a belief in a "god", if you can begin to consider "intelligent design". Before anyone jumps on me to quickly, let me simply say that we have no definitive, concrete proof of the occurance of the "Big Bang", only scientific/philosophical conjecture. Theology or belief in "god" is the same level of conjecture. If our evidence for the Big Bang and god are equally scientific/theological conjectures, then they could be considered an equally fantastic event/thing. So, god and the big bang can be reconciled as being the same thing/event. Big Bang is creation. God triggered the Big Bang and evolution followed. Man reached a certain level of conscienceness and needed to explain him/herself and created our concept/story of god. (according to my personal theorizing)

[End minor theological discussion]

As for god's running our lives, I believe in freewill.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'm an agnostic, but marked atheist anyways... One too many times I've heard people say that they don't believe in a God, because their lives were a disaster and what not. Also I've heard atheist banging against religious people as ignorants and idiots... There goes tolerance...

I have no problems with others believing what ever they want to believe, as long as they do not try to shove their beliefs on my thoat all the time and without a good discusion (I'm open about religious discusion, within certain respectfull parameters), so.. Jehova's Witnesses... TAKE NOTE!

If I had to put a name on the God many religions believe I'd say Universal rules and Energy.. That is God... An anthopomorfic god I can't asume that it exists but can't asume it doesn't either.

de-bug

> Next time your morning seems to be going wrong and the children are slow getting dressed and you can't seem to find the car keys and you hit every traffic light, don't get mad or frustrated; praise God instead because God is at work watching over you. <

I used to believe that. I was brought up in a religious, Christian family, attended a parahochial elementary school, and as a result, had a very happy-apple-pie view of the world.

Then I got divorced, and the pie blew up in my face.

I do still believe that God exists. However, I cannot believe that God WANTS or DIRECTS bad things to happen. If you believe that God is protecting you from harm, then the reverse must also be true. If something bad happens, it's because it was God's plan. HUH?? So if your child is killed by a drunk driver, or your husband died in the inferno of 9-11, it was all God's plan??? No way jose.

Everyone is entitled to their own view. Mine is that God exists, and he's there to lean on in times of trouble. But in NO way does he go about directing the minutia of our lives....I can't accept that.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mod Hat On: Poll edited, and skel and Downtown's votes changed to agnostic.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I guess I'm agnostic because I don't see how anyone could "know" God. All I believe is what I see, feel, smell, taste and hear.

jmf

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Alan - I agree 100% with you. When we were going through our whole infertility crap, I was talking about how discouraged I felt to one of our secretaries and she told me "Not to worry about it, honey. God has a plan for you, and I know he'll give you a little baby when he's ready to." ???? WTF?
Years ago I was hospitalized for a fairly serious illness - the symptoms and resulting surgery and recovery were awful experiences which I wouldn't wish on anyone. Yet some minister (he wasn't even Catholic) visiting my hospital room had the gall to tell me that there was a reason I went through this and essentially said that I was being punished for somethign I had done. I was almost in tears and my mother tossed him - I think if he had tried to say another words she would have dropped him on the spot!

I just don't understand people who say this stuff, does it make them feel better...it certainly doesn't make me, the recipient, feel better. Like Downtown I would classify myself as agnostic, I am definitely guilty of saying "things happen for a reason" (because that's the way things seem to happen sometimes ie end of contracts and job offers) but I never bring God into it.

SGB

Cyburbian
I've very little clue as to what my God is about these days, which puts me in a bit of an awkward postion considering that:
a) I was a very devout Episcopalian in my youth, and
b) My wife & I are raising our son and the much anticipated #2 as Catholics.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-I don't know what to believe anymore because I had religion shoved down my throat as a kid. I'm on a religious hiatis.

I was starting to wonder if I should start worshiping fasle idols, like beer. When I get mad and am about to kick my cat, who's there to stop me? Beer. When life's got you down and you feel like ending it all, who's there to give you hope? Beer. When your girlfriend says its either her or alcohol, who's there to comfort you after she leaves? Beer!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
de-bug said:
[BEveryone is entitled to their own view. Mine is that God exists, and he's there to lean on in times of trouble. But in NO way does he go about directing the minutia of our lives....I can't accept that. [/B]
Amen, brother.

22 religion posts and no name-calling! :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Rumpy Tuna said:
-I'll be collecting donations to open up our own place of worship.
Could you throw some sports memorabilia on the walls, a couple of big screen TVs, a pool table, and a few pinball machines? ;)

Budgie

Cyburbian
A chuck at a time!!!!

I don't know where to start. Perhaps I'll post my thoughts in chunks.

Let me start with describing specific events in my life that have formed my opinion. This may take awhile. Maybe I shouldn't even begin. Brothers Karamazov is over 700 pages long and I guarantee that my experiences and thoughts on the matter could fill and equal number of pages. I'm sure this is the case for most people.

I don't profess to be a philosopher or writer, but I am very willing to bear my soul to those who will respectfully listen. I expect contradictory responses, because in the end everyone's belief in the existence or non-existence of a supreme omnipitent (sp) being is the most personal of all choices.

So I ask you, should I begin?

moose

I'm an atheist, as is Mr. Moose. We often joke about the devout being dilusional, but truly, sometimes I envy the blind faith of the devout. I just can't do it.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Fine - Bare with me !!!!

I'll start by summarizing my pre-18 years and then I'll describe a number of significant events that formed my opinion of the existence or non-existence of GOD

Pre-18

As many of you now I grew up as a military brat, neither of my parents were active in religion and I have never been baptized. The fact that I have not been baptized has been a very significant carrot in my formulation of an opinion in my later years. More on that much later.

On military bases there is generally one church, which is used by different religions and many denominations. I had no concept of the variations of demoninations until much later. My first interest in anything religious was centered around architecture. I've been to over a dozen cathedrals (Notre Dame, St. Paul's (London), Canterbury, Leeds, Edinburgh, etc....) and I lived 2 blocks from Ely Cathedral for a year. My brother and I used to wander these breath taking structures, some of which are over 1,000 years old. These structures are some of the greatest creations of man and I admire them.

IMO when you grow up on the military, you become more tolerant of other types of people, because the population is diverse. I got along with everyone. Around this time, Jim Swaggert, the Bakers, Mr. Fallwell and half a dozen other "preachers" began to hit the news. The hypocrisy, hatred and folly of these people became my image of what religion was about. It's very devisive and certainly not tolerant. So I grew to dislike all things religous, due to very few genuine examples of strength in religion.

Off to college and significant events.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Re: A chuck at a time!!!!

Budgie said:
So I ask you, should I begin?
Anytime brother, anytime.

I'm an atheist. If God were real, I suspect It might look something like this:

I accepted Jesus in my heart 12 times in my life between 1983 and 1991. My brother, who is 9 years older than me, got his A. J. (Associates of Jesus) from Rhema Bible School in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1983. When he got back home in Michigan, he helped me try to find God. Many many times. I don't think it worked - I never got that fun tingly feeling that is supposed to be the Love From Up Above. Other events have played out in my life that made it clear that if in fact there is a God, It is a cruel sumbitch with a sick sense of humor. Further, if there was indeed a God, It would not recruit the crazy sumbitches that say or write the stupid shit that I posted at the beginning of this thread. And finally, what's up with all those wedding ceremonies that never stop mentioning God? I went to two weddings this summer and I couldn't believe how intensely God was invloved. I mean, c'mon God, chill out for a second, could you? Please? You are one of the most arrogant sumbitches out there, you know? Two people want to spend the rest of their lives together and you want the minister to go on and on about your love, your sanction, and your covenant? For crying out loud! Take a break and let the humans be the focus for once. Sit back and take pride in your handiwork. Shut up and let people be happy, okay?!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This just reminds me of Dewey from Malcom in the Middle and his ant farm . For those of you without a TV, its a show dammit.

Anyway, I've said it before, organized religion is for the weak of mind.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
-I'll be collecting donations to open up our own place of worship.
Odin stole the secret to meade and beer from the giants, he gave the secret to men in order that they could taste the wonder of the gods! :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Odin stole the secret to meade and beer from the giants, he gave the secret to men in order that they could taste the wonder of the gods! :)
-I'm a little lost here, I thought Odin was that guy on the horse you could summon in Final Fantasy. He'd fly down on his 2 headed horse and put a whoop ass on whoever you where fighting.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Significant Event #1

These significant events are not strictly in chronologic order, although they are close.

Event #1 - Discussion with Anna.

I was sitting on the banks of the Neosho River with a friend, Anna, and we were talking about who knows what. The topic eventually came around to the question of religion. She told me that in order to get under God's good graces you have to be baptized. My response was, suppose there was a person who lived a full life, never thought about religion, was kind to everyone and never committed a sin, would God not accept this person into heaven? I a person lived as pure a life as Jesus, yet was never baptized, would that person go to heaven. Here answer was "No, this person would not be allowed in heaven". So theoretically the person who can live the most "christian" of lives would be denied access over a "sacriment" technicality.

She got frustrated with this logic and bailed. Needly to say I didn't get laid that night.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
-I'm a little lost here, I thought Odin was that guy on the horse you could summon in Final Fantasy. He'd fly down on his 2 headed horse and put a whoop ass on whoever you where fighting.
Nope, Odin looks like Gandalf with an eye poked out! :)

The Valkaries were his servants that taxied dead warriors to valhalla.

you know, that cool heaven where you get to fight all day and F@#$ all night! :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Nope, Odin looks like Gandalf with an eye poked out! :)

The Valkaries were his servants that taxied dead warriors to valhalla.

you know, that cool heaven where you get to fight all day and F@#$ all night! :)
Sounds like fun, where do I sign up?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
WHOLLY CRAP! WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE?

would this mean those 444,444 mormans AND the catholics could make it in? The Wicans might have a shot and Jews must then still be in luck. Taoist and Brahmans living together in the clouds mixing christian chants and funky music with drunk lutheran monks. Even the Heathen Asatruer might get to beat up on the muslims all day in this heaven and still get to bang native american spiritualist maids all night long! Hey this is sounding better all the time :) No babtists though! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I think this is the bandwagon I'll jump on. :b: :b:
Is this a bandwagon you'll get on, or shouldn't it be fall off?

(Thank you, Seinfeld)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Significant Event #1

Budgie said:
These significant events are not strictly in chronologic order, although they are close.

Event #1 - Discussion with Anna.

I believe the sacraments are a bunch of crap that are made up to keep kids entertained in grade school. They told us in school that babies who die before being baptized go to "pergatory"

Give me a freakin break. I believe in leading a good life, and sharing kindness with all (most) of those we meet. If that doesn't get me to heaven, well....

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I'm the "vengeful" vote. Being raised catholic, I believe s/he's up there somewhere....but I can't believe in all the bs my religion spouts off to me.....plus I wouldn't be where I'm at right now if god wasn't vengeful.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Just went out for lunch and Jesus man preacher was out there again passing out leaflets. Occasionally he'll bust out with a hymn inbetween preaching.