• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Tell me your hometown and I'll try and post some historic pictures

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I am currently designing a web page that will feature historic postcard photographs of fellow Cyburbian's hometowns. I only have a few names right now, and am in the process of adding more. I am mostly getting them from the "Where do we live" thread (although it is unclear if some of the responses are current locations or hometowns that a particular poster may no longer live in)

If you live in the U. S. or Canada and would like to be on the page, please tell me your home town and/or current location. And if you want to add your birthplace, tell me that too.

I have a directory of scans of over 12,000 historic postcards, so chances are, I have at least one picture of your home town. If not, I will try and find one.

Anyway, here is the page.

http://www.geocities.com/rtpostcards/Cyburbia/cyburbia1.html

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Cat looks great....one comment....my hometown is listed as Buffalo, though your pics are correctly depicting Concord. :)

donk

Cyburbian
I just posted 2 of my current town.

They are called "birds eyes". they were done in the 1880's and are really detailed, especially when viewed at a large scale.

Rumour has it that in the provincial archives are the sketches and notes for each building in the pictures.

173Newcastlesmall.jpg

173Chathamsmall.jpg

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
OH great.

I just got this message:

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://www.geocities.com/rtpostcards/Cyburbia/cyburbia2.html "

Guess it will be restored within the hour, but we will see. I don't understand this. I should have over 10 meg of space left.

Anyway, I managed to get Richmond Jake and SGB on the page before it shut down.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:
OH great.

I just got this message:

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://www.geocities.com/rtpostcards/Cyburbia/cyburbia2.html "

Guess it will be restored within the hour, but we will see. I don't understand this. I should have over 10 meg of space left.

Anyway, I managed to get Richmond Jake and SGB on the page before it shut down.
I have a geocities site too Cat....it's not what you have left for server space that's the problem, it's the data transfer limits (ie, too many people are looking at the website and geocities has transfer limits for free websites). I had the same problem when I posted wedding pictures on the website and put a link on Cyburbia. :)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hometown

I grew up in Alpena, Michigan

I now live in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My birthplace is Cincinnati, OH, but my hometown is The Big Easy (N'Awlins). I know that a wealth of photos exist depicting historic landmarks and areas within The Big Easy.

Jen

Cyburbian
ANy historical photos of Hollywood Fla in Broward County? Ft Lauderdale or Miami Beach?

moose

Sunnyvale, CA is my hometown, but it's pretty dinky, so San Jose, CA would be the next closest "big" city. I just moved here, but I'd love to see some Portland, OR photos....

BKM

Cyburbian
Fort Wayne, Indiana?

I doubt you can find too many of my current residence: Vacaville, CA

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Fairmount, IN is my hometown, but I doubt that you'll find very many historic postcards. I've looked and haven't found any.

I worked in Plymouth, NH for a few years and I know that there are some really neat old postcards of the Common and older buildings in town.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I've added SW Michigan Planner and Mendleman.

I have Cinci, Edmonton, Hollywood, Ft. Wayne, N. O. Miami Beach, Portland. I will try and add them tonight.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Cool...check this out

Wow! Great shot :)

This is the kind of thing I was hoping would spin off from this topic: Before and After pictures.

My question is: What the Hell did they do to the third building from the left :(

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Whitewater, Wisconsin or DeKalb, Illinois or Glenview, Illinois or Twin Lakes, Wisconsin or Madison, Wisconsin. There have been others, but these are the ones I really call(ed) home.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Indianapolis. I know there are some great old photos, just not sure where you'd find them... sorry....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmmm... Too bad that the chances of SAC finding a historical picture of Valdivia are less that for me... :p

I'll see if I can find a pic of a very olde map where Valdivia was spelled with a B (as in Baldibia, no joke!). Although there must be plenty of pics of Valdivia after the 'quake of 1960.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:

This is the kind of thing I was hoping would spin off from this topic: Before and After pictures.

My question is: What the Hell did they do to the third building from the left :(
It's possible that the old building is just covered up with that crappy siding. Our City attorney owns the big building and has his office there.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:

I'll actually be at a conference in Concord (walking distance from my house. :) )the next couple of days. I'll try to get a few digital pics of Main Street while I'm out.

I think the local paper has a decent webcam shot of part of Main Street.....might give a little perspective on what's changed (which isn't too much BTW).

nerudite

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
Cool site SAC. Do you have any of Edmonton, Alberta, or Truro, Nova Scotia?
Hey, we have some Truro historic pics that I can scan in and send, if you don't have any already SAC.

And my hometown is Los Angeles.

kms

Cyburbian
Cool site. My home is Irwin, PA. We have a bird's eye print of town in our living room.

Rem

Cyburbian
Very Nice work SAC.

If you want some international flavour, try here and use the suburb menu to go to Warners Bay, my current home town. This is an online catalogue of historic photos presented by our library.

For images of my birthplace, Muswellbrook, use this link and search on Muswellbrook. There are quite a few. This is the Australian National Library picture collection.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Grew up in Winter Park FL, now living in Sanford FL.

The State of FL Division of Historical Resources has a really good site with historic photos, and postcards, of Florida, from the 1800's on. Florida planners, you need to check this out.

Some of us "zoners" used the postcards as desktops until our employers banned anything but the County logo as a background.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Great idea for a website!

I grew up in Orange Park, Florida. We have an old card from our last true home in Eustis, Florida (the ZG's birthplace).

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Cat is very tired. Cat has been uploading pictures and writing HTML all evening. Cat's eyes are about to pop out of his head.

Cat will try and add more pics tomorrow. Cat very tired. Cat go to sleep.

tsc

Cyburbian
nice site Amp Cat

Ithaca, New York is where I spent my younger years....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Westfield, NJ
on TV - the opening scenes of NBC show ED.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I have recently added the following:

BKM - Vacaville. Ft. Wayne
JNA - Westfield
KMS - Irwin
Plannerbabs - Indianapolis
Zoning Goddess - Sanford
TSC - Ithaca

In the quque:

Cardinal - Whitewater
Nerudite - LA

Still looking:

Slavetothegrind - Plymouth
Moose - Sunnyvale
Trail Nazi - Orange Park
Bullwinkle - Fairmont

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mine is Delafield, WI home of St Johns military academy.

But you'l prolly find even better pics of my first job town - Kaukauna, WI. It was a railroad hub for the Chicago Northwestern RR. The downtown was divided by a river, and there was a roundhouse and a locomotive factory on the banks of the river.

The roundhouse was raised in the 1970's before adaptive reuse became big. Such a tragic loss.

Rem

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Cat is very tired. Cat has been uploading pictures and writing HTML all evening. Cat's eyes are about to pop out of his head.

Cat will try and add more pics tomorrow. Cat very tired. Cat go to sleep.
If we had a bowl of milk smilie I would leave it out for you - next to the scratch post. In the absence of milk, try this - you might like it. :b::b::b::b::b::b::b: ......:-b

biscuit

Cyburbian
Great project SAC. Good work for an amputee cat. :)

My hometown is Tamassee, Oconee County, SC but I doubt you'll find anything...It's really just 10 cow pastures and a zip code.

I'm calling Pittsburgh home these days.

Last edited:

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Thanks, Cat. Brought back some fond memories of Court Ave. and the annual CARP Festival - Court Avenue River Party.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Wow, really cool website, thanks! And a couple of those old buildings are even still standing! Although, sadly, we no longer have streetcars to riot over.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Cool looking site. I really enjoyed getting to see Sanford, FL since that is where ZG and I worked together.

SAC, if you cannot find Orange Park, Fl, you might find something under Green Cove Springs, FL.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Cool looking site. I really enjoyed getting to see Sanford, FL since that is where ZG and I worked together.

SAC, if you cannot find Orange Park, Fl, you might find something under Green Cove Springs, FL.
I have added a picture or two more of Sanford, but still no luck Orange Park. I'm sure something will come up soon.

Several other Cyburbians have been added or expanded, including Cardinal, Jen and Downtown. El Guapo and Mike Gurnee are next up. (Dodge City and St. Joseph)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Nearly every bar - er, I mean building, in this photo is still standing. Most have lost their cornices or have had their facades altered to some degree. There is a movement to get the district listed as our second historic district (the first including many of the city's mansions from about 1850 to 1910). Several of our churches should also be listed.

Wulf9

My current location is Cloverdale, CA. I would like to see some photos if they exist. I haven't found many historic pix of the city.

thanks