• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Tell me your hometown and I'll try and post some historic pictures

BKM

Cyburbian
Thanks, SAC!

I'll try to download or scan some other pictures form Vacaville. I keep meaning to take my camera out. For a valley suburb, there are a surprising number of relatively old homes and commercial buildings. We have a great opera house, for instance.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Here's one from my gallery that you might want to add SAC....

3PO400-ConcordNH.jpg

martini

Cyburbian
Mankato MN
or
Paonia CO(not really from there, but I'd like to see old postcards form the town. I'd LIKE to be from there....

Bangorian

Hillsdale, MI

doubtful you have any Hillsdale postcards. How about my current location, Bath, ME??

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Thanks Amputee, you have a great name!

Your welcome!

To all: Check out the latest adds.

I just discovered that I have 100000K of space available in the Cyburbia gallery, so from now on I'll be uploading my photos there. It's so much easier than my annoying Geocities site which constantly takes me to this page for pitching their pay sites and screws up my uploads. Annoying as hell.

Plus I don't have to worry about running outof space for a long time.

You can preview some of my forthcoming uploads there before I put them on my own site. Dan's Kansas City post cards are in the Queque and photos for Martini (Mankato) and Maine Man (Hillsdale) will be added there soon.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I work in Helena Montana and consider it my hometown though I was not born here. I am sure you shouldn't have too much trouble finding historic photos of Helena and our main street Last Chance Gulch.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wow... these look absolutely great! I should take some pics of Jasper Ave in Edmonton to compare with the historic pics you posted in Elmo's section. It looks very different!

Bangorian

Thanks Much! Love the Bird's Eye. I've run across that before. My house is on that one!!!

The "Broad & Howell" picture shows that downtown now looks much as it did back then - I guess that's a nice side-effect of being 45 minutes from a freeway!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Glad you liked them. I will add more pictures of Hillsdale as I find them and also will be adding a few from Bath soon.

steveanne

Rochester, NY

Like many upstate NY'ers, I tend to talk way too much about my home town - Rochester, NY. If you have any images, I would love to see them!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Latest Adds:

Dan - Kansas City
El Guapo - St. Joseph
Jessie J. - Austin
Maineman - Hillsdale
Mike Gunee - Dodge City
Seabishop - Providence
Super Amputee - Toledo
Tranplaner - Toronto
Wulf9 - Cloverdale
Xing500 - O'Fallon

In the queue:

Otterpop - Helena
Martini - Mankato
Steveann- Rochester
Maineman - Bath

Tom R

Cyburbian
home

New Kensington, Pennsylvania. Once the "Aluminum City."http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7229

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's a few Whitewater post card scans from my files:

An early view of Main Street, perhaps 1890-1900?

11ww01.jpg

Main Street, around 1930?

11ww02.jpg

Main Street from the 1950's

11ww03.jpg

The Morris-Pratt Institute was dedicated to the study of the occult, and is one of the resons why Whitewater is ranked second (behind Salem) in witchcraft lore. Sadly, the building is gone.

11ww04.jpg

It is Wisconsin, so you have to have a brewery. The brewmaster's house still stands, and the adjoining park is "Brewery Hill Park."

11ww05.jpg

The Old Stone Mill was built in 1832. The 1966 Comprehensive Plan discusses how important this building is to the city's history and to the revitalization of the downtown. It was torn down in 1971.

11ww06.jpg

The new depot was built in 1890. Surprisingly, this landmark is still standing.

11ww07.jpg

In the late 1800's a group of local investors tried to build a second railroad into the city. The project failed, but much of the right-of-way and graded bed still exist. Parts of this will become a trail. This postcard photo shows the construction in progress.

11ww08.jpg

This appears to be Whitewater Lake, which was created in the 1920's, drained during the Depression, and re-dammed in the 1940's.

11ww09.jpg

The old City Hall was finished in 1890. Its significance was also discussed in the 1966 Comprehensive Plan. It was torn down shortly after the plan was adopted.

11ww10.jpg

The photos are in the gallery. SAC, feel free to use any of them you want.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is it with your hometowns (Cardinal and NHPlanner) that likes to destroy it's beautiful architecture?

Valdivia on the other hand gets destroyed... and each time they've changed the street layout, leaving today a maze of a city.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I can't explain it because I don't understand. I still have to fight the comments of one city official who can look at an old block of buildings and think nothing would be better than to "tear it down and start all over again." This same block (dating to the 1870's) is structurally sound and historically significant. The second floor of one building was the original armory, and there are pictures of the troops in front of it marching off to the Spanish-American War. Fortunately, we have an incresingly vocal group of people who believe in preservation.

NHPlanner

Staff member
SkeLeton said:
What is it with your hometowns (Cardinal and NHPlanner) that likes to destroy it's beautiful architecture?

Valdivia on the other hand gets destroyed... and each time they've changed the street layout, leaving today a maze of a city.

Fortunately, the rail station is the only major piece of architecture that was destroyed. The majority of old historic buildings are still there. I'll have to go out with the digital cemera and get some shots for all of you sometime.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Me, Me, Me, Me...

...trying to sound like one of those pesky grade 2 students

Please do one for any of these towns in Ontario: Brighton, Belleville, Kingston, Brockville, Barry's Bay, Combermere - all of them are relatively small or really small towns in Eastern Ontario.

biscuit said:
Great project SAC. Good work for an amputee cat. :)

My hometown is Tamassee, Oconee County, SC but I doubt you'll find anything...It's really just 10 cow pastures and a zip code.

I'm calling Pittsburgh home these days.

Interesting, I lived from 1991-2002 in Pickens, SC. I am now in Rock Hill, SC for my undergrad work and off to Minnesota State in Mankato, MN for my grad work in January. Small world! Ironically, I was also born near Pittsburgh, a town named Indiana.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Appleton, WI here.

Especially try to get one with the early electric streetcars, as due to the proximity of the Fox River to the downtown area and a sizable elevation change allowing for hydroelectric powerplants (and lots of industry), we were one of the first cities to get them. BTW, those dams and powerplants are still in operation.

:)

Mike

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Great Project SAC. I have dozens of postcards from Mattoon and Charleston, IL. If you ever revive the project, I'll be happy to send you copies.

zman

Cyburbian
Denver, Colorado

I'd also be interested in Memphis, TN (considered to be my "second" city...)

Yorke790

Cyburbian
Guelph?

Super Amputee Cat said:
I am currently designing a web page that will feature historic postcard photographs of fellow Cyburbian's hometowns. I only have a few names right now, and am in the process of adding more. I am mostly getting them from the "Where do we live" thread (although it is unclear if some of the responses are current locations or hometowns that a particular poster may no longer live in)

If you live in the U. S. or Canada and would like to be on the page, please tell me your home town and/or current location. And if you want to add your birthplace, tell me that too.

I have a directory of scans of over 12,000 historic postcards, so chances are, I have at least one picture of your home town. If not, I will try and find one.

Anyway, here is the page.

http://www.geocities.com/rtpostcards/Cyburbia/cyburbia1.html

Interesting - my hometown is Guelph, Ontario...

Also, I can't help but mention that my grandfather has the largest collection of Guelph historic postcards and photos. I can't remember the number of items, but it is certainly in the thousands. I've always told myself that I'll get my hands on them and scan each and every one...I'm sure they are of great historical value...do you have any in your collection?

NHPlanner

Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:
Seems that a bunch of my postcards were deleted off the Cyburbia gallery. I just noticed this now. For example, all my Peoria Postcards are gone plus many others.:-(
Moderator note:

Not deleted....but the Gallery mods moved several hundred photos to the appropriate galleries in "Cities & Places." Urls will likely need to be updated.

Home town: Port Coquitlam, BC
Neighbouring towns: Coquitlam, BC & New Westminster, BC

Current location: Waterloo, ON