• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Temp. Labor Business

Vlaude

Cyburbian
The City I work for does not specifically address or define a Temporary Labor Business. (A business that hires employees and sends them out as labor to its clients. The temps. arrive at the business location in the morning and then go on to where they are needed. Then come back for their pay the same afternoon.) I think proper zoning is obviously a commercial use, and possibly in some light industrial... My concern is parking, what form of measurement should be used for the amount of parking needed. I say # of temp employees, my boss argues sq footage, yet agrees thats probably not the best measure. And likewise its hard for a City to enforce something based on # of employees.

Any ideas, sorry kind of a long and jumbled post... But I'd appreciate any input!!!

THANKS AGAIN!

They're called Labor Pools in New Orleans and are only allowed in certain parts of the CBD and light industrial districts. I think the new zoning ordinance will prohibit them from the CBD altogether. Parking reqs are generally based on the square footage of the office or a minimum of 3 spaces.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Planderella

What is the reasoning behind the elimination of the CBD for this use? I'm assuming the volumes of people which can not typically be housed in the small office locations... Thanks again... I am leaning C-G to I-L under our zoning ord. but I don't like the idea of letting the door open to all such future uses under C-G, further more I don't like adding it as a conditional use or special use permit... Ugh... Maybe its just time to scrap our antiquated ordinances for something BETTER!!!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I agree that you should stay away from parking per # employees. There is no way to keep track. There will be morning and afternoon congestion, but only if the temps want to work.

To put it in plain and simple terms - the neighborhood and business associations as well preservationists don't want "those people" loitering around the CBD streets, especially since the area has a growing residential base.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Vlaude

I think I have a better understanding of the use and will recommend allowing it in a heavier Commercial use (not CBD) and in a light industrial. I am now trying to formulate a definition. If anyone has a good definition of a temporary labor service or labor pool, my ears are open! Thanks again...