• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Parking Temporary Labor Parking Req.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Any suggestions on Temporary Labor Parking requirments or does anyone feel they have a good example ordinance? Any input would be great... The use has recently been established as a conditional use upon P&Z approval of parking...

Thanks again!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Probably parking at a day labor agency?

Jeff

Cyburbian
The first thing that came to my mind was a temp agency...but isn't that the same as an office use?

Or around here we have a company "Labor Ready" where if you want to work one day, you show up to the main office, and get picked up by a landscaper, contracter, whatever.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Mike thats it!

Yes a business such as Labor Ready would fit the definition of a Temp Labor or Day Labor business... The temp employees typically show up before 8 A.M. get there assignments and leave... Then come back later in the afternoon to record their hours and recieve their paycheck...

I think it is typical for a large percentage of the temp laborers to rely upon public transit to get to the location, thus minimizing the parking impacts for a large Temp Labor business...

I have seen a few different ordinances, mainly using GFA to calculate the number of spaces... I am interested in GFA calculations as well as other alternatives...

Hope that helps, thanks...

Jeff

Cyburbian
But does the GFA of a Labor Ready have any relationship to the number of workers they may employ on any given day?

The workers don't actually "work" in the building, and I'm sure the daily employment level varies widely.

That's a tough one. I've never seen it spelled out in parking regs though, I'm sorry.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Yes, that is my concern... The GFA to some point is irrelevant in this matter... That is the reasoning behind making such a use conditional upon parking requirements being approved by P&Z. I have seen GFA calculations, but it does not make a lot of sense... I think this specific site has more than adequate parking. My concern is I need some justification and formula or structure to set in place for the same use in future cases... I have run into brick walls trying to find something that seems to be a good measuring stick...

Thanks again...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Are there any businesses/churches/etc nearby that operate during different hours? If so, maybe you could have them work with that business for a joint use parking agreement (if you allow it in your Z.O.), so they technically meet all the requirements of the GFA, without actually having to put in the parking that would otherwise be wasted.

Otherwise are there any provisions in your Z.O. for changes to the parking standards based upon parking studies?