• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Temporary retail uses

Tom R

Cyburbian
Can anyone point me to a good zoning ordinance to control temporary retail establishments, yard sales etc?

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
I usually ask for that to be put int the general code of ordinances, and not in zoning. The reason being, defining the differences between a retail outlot and a neverending yard sale is easier than enforcing it. Let the cops hand out tickets.

Write an ordinance that allows no more than two weekends per year, per property for yardsales. Then let the badges handle it.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Bump

Anybody have a link to a good temporary uses ordinance? Nothing too onerous.
Thanks in advance.

Tobinn

Cyburbian
Temporary Uses

Have a look at the Clearwater, FL Code at municode.
Part I. Community Development Code
Article III. Development Standards
Division 21. Temporary Uses

Tobinn

Cyburbian
Temporary Uses

Have a look at the Clearwater, FL Code at municode.
Part I. Community Development Code
Article III. Development Standards
Division 21. Temporary Uses

RPfresh

Cyburbian
I usually ask for that to be put int the general code of ordinances, and not in zoning. The reason being, defining the differences between a retail outlot and a neverending yard sale is easier than enforcing it. Let the cops hand out tickets.

Write an ordinance that allows no more than two weekends per year, per property for yardsales. Then let the badges handle it.
Isn't this the kind of ordinance that started the whole Houston zoning revolt?

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I don't have a link (or know how to post them) but you can look at Sandy City, in Utah. They have a pretty good temporary use section in their ordinance. Very thorough, and really not onerous - just thorough. I need to re-write ours here and have been looking at Sandy.

Last edited: