• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Temporary Sign Dilemma del Día

nerudite

Cyburbian
These little bad boys are starting to proliferate throughout our commercial areas. I'm just about finishing up the sign bylaw re-write, and I would like to address these in *some* way. How does your City regulate them, or do you even bother?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Pole-mounted banners will usually meet the definition of freestanding signs in the zoning code/bylaw. If a code limits a site to one freestanding sign, and there are banners mounted on poles, I've considered those signs to be freestanding as well. They probably cause the site to have a greater number of freestanding signs than normally permitted, and you might be able to get them for sign setback and permitting violations as well.

If that doesn't help, you might want to call in the Canadian Human Rights Commission, and cite them because the signs aren't bilingual. :D

Tom R

Cyburbian
signs

Looks like a pole sign to me. I don't know of any community that addresses them directly, though.

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: signs

light pole banner

we only allow shopping centers to utilize them, and they cannot reference any specific sale or tenant.. only holiday or center wide events.

permits needed as well..

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
These types of signs violate the freestanding sign requirements but that has not stopped them from proliferating here. We just do not have the enforcement capability to go after them when there are bigger fish to fry (auto salvage in residential area, e.g.).

Maybe someday the Council will take enforcement seriously and give us the money we need to hire an enforcement officer. Probably happen about two weeks before I retire...

BKM

Cyburbian
We basically consider these illegal, substandard free -standing signs, as we generally only permit monuments.

Enforcement, of course, is spotty. We did hammer a local apartment complex who had nine of these and a A-frame which they helpfully stuck in the public median island.