• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Temporary Structures

gromada

In my village, we are seeing an epidemic of temporary canvas/plastic garage structures going up without permits. Now applicants are being dragged before us on the planning board, but our code is deficient in dealing with such temporary structures - does not outwardly prohibit them.

I am looking for evidence that such structures negatively affect the welfare of the village by decreasing property values, etc. etc. so that I can convince our local village board to amend the code to restrict such structures. Anyone have anything to offer? Or any code language that addresses such structures??

Any other lucid reasons I can point to in a findings of fact to deny an application?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

John Gromada

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have seen those things, but not in the City where I work. I would recommend an ordinance that limits temporary structures (with the obvious exception of construction trailers) to a maximum of 15 days, two non-continious times per calendar year. This helps limit businesses from putting up "tent sales" that last all summer too.

If they are being used as garages, you may be able to find a technicality, such as failure to obtain a building permit, # of accessory buildings, setbacks, etc. A creative City Attorney should be able to find something in the code to help you.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
How about "they are godawful ugly"?

We don't have them out here with an average wind of 22mph. I would add something to the code about them, emphasizing the word TEMPORARY. If they are there for more than 30 days in any 12 month period, they are considered permanent accessory structures. Also, ask your building inspector about the need for wind resistance.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Our code allows temprorary structures for up to 9 months at a crack. As long as they aretaken down one day a year, they are exempt structures. These canvas workshops tend to be in low profile areas, since we are hoity-toity, and haven't been a problem for us.