• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Landscape Ten films you should see if you are a landscape architect

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Surprised they didn't include 'Logan's Run' in that list

DVD

Cyburbian
Meh.

We should create a list of must see movies for planners, but what would the standards be? Vague messages about society, beautiful cities? If for nothing but a conversation starter I'll throw out a couple:
Idiocracy - what might happen to our society without some continued educational standards and proper gov't regulation. Also good for landscape architects, you can't grow plants on electrolites.
Office Space - just so everyone knows what office work is like.
Logan's Run - so planners can learn how to deal with aging

I'm sure there are more good ones, I just can't think of any now.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB dvdneal
What would be the criteria for such a list - story line and/or imagery/setting.

There can/should be some cross over in the lists for architects, landscape architects, and planners.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planner Movies

Its a Wonderful Life
Chinatown
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Robocop
The Blues Brothers (why? Because we're on a mission from God, and what planner has not wanted to destroy a shopping mall?).

http://landarchs.com/ten-films-landscape-architect/

Interesting list.

What do you think about their choice for #1 ?
We have posted about that movie before.
-bump-
The link (above) is broken, but the piece was reprinted somewhere else; here is a link that works:

In case the link is broken in the future: a copy/paste of the "Top 10" - as of January, 2013:
10. North by Northwest (1959)
9. Silent Running (1972)
8. The Secret Garden (1993)
7. Chinatown (1974)
6. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001 – 2003)
5. The Mountain (2011)
4. Day of the Triffids (1962)
3. Brazil (1985)
2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
1. Soylent Green (1973)

What do people think of their Top 10 choices?
Can you think of a film (before 2013) that should be in the Top 10?

What films since January, 2013 do you think have especially notable Landscape Architecture?

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm not a landscape architect.
It’s planning adjacent, and we sometimes write and administer landscaping regulations, so it’s all good in my book. Besides, I’ve been working on a guide for stormwater management practices for TND (favoring light imprint new urbanism over low impact development/LID, for what it’s worth), and finding that the work crosses over deep into LA turf.

For what it’s worth, the last season of Westworld might interest both the UP and LA crowds.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I took a class in undergrad called Planning in Film. I wish I remembered more of the movies we watched but I know Metropolis and Blade Runner were on the list. Basically we watched a movie every Wednesday night and then discussed it for 30 minutes. Great class!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I took a class in undergrad called Planning in Film. I wish I remembered more of the movies we watched but I know Metropolis and Blade Runner were on the list. Basically we watched a movie every Wednesday night and then discussed it for 30 minutes. Great class!
Wow, that does sound like a fun class. One of the most fun classes I ever took was a film interpretation/appreciation class.