• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ten Things Thursday

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Another grant/project closed out. I am relieved and pleased at the outcome. The head honcho has not yet commented, likely will not, and if he does it will be critical. I don't care.
2. One more week marks my 4 year anniversary here.
3. I am looking for something different and I've received a number of leads.
4. Greatly looking forward to going to Puerto Rico in 6 weeks. This has been one of those years where no amount of vacation has been enough.
5. My husband has conceded that I am the Grill Master of the house. Last night's skirt steak was fantastic.
6. The painters should be done at my house today. I love them, but I will be glad when they aren't there at 8am.
7. Sunday is our org's annual festival. It is going to be hot and I have to work 9 hours.
8. Because I am working Sunday, I get Monday off. Next week also happens to be one of my Summer Fridays so I will be working 3 days :)
9. I've started making tuition payments for rt's preschool program she's starting in the fall. It's hard to believe she's 3.5 now. Time flies.
10. Despite the amount of complaining I do, I really am blessed.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. I am not certain if I like having busy after work weeks.
2. Soccer coaching is starting up again.
3. Night meetings haven't stopped.
4. Add it up and I am gone for four of the five weekday nights.
5. That makes me a grumpy gus.
6. I am getting excited about future housing plans for my family.
7. We are hosting a wedding on our property next weekend. That is going to be interesting.
8. I seem to have been volunteered for a lot of things.
9. I don't like doing this I don't ask to do. I haven't liked being told to do things since I was 4.
10. I bought video games again. I think I have a problem.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Not looking forward to the big sleepover tomorrow
2. Just think meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans and jello would be considered "exotic" foods in some cultures^o)
3. Need to get a passport sometime so's I can go to Canada
4. You never used to need a passport to go to Canada
5. My back hurts
6. Can there really be such a thing as "authentic" urban bluegrass music?
7. I may have treated Junior unfairly yesterday and now I feel guilty about it. It's kinda gray, though
8. On the one hand I wish everyone would agree about everything but on the other hand that could be really really bad
9. Need to come up with some games to keep 9-10 year old boys occupied inside in case it rains during the sleepover
10. I'm picking up on some early signs that another bout of depression may be rolling in

DVD

Cyburbian
1. I refuse to do any meaningful work today.
2. Maybe I'll clean up the desk to figure out what work I'm refusing to do.
3. I think it's been slow because of the Lead Sled car show.
4. I wish I could find an excuse to go check it out.
5. The wife and kids don't like car shows.
6. Squirrel! Must report squirrel news to the kids.
7. I'll have to start a "Ways to entertain kids" thread for Maister and other parents that want a minute of peace
8. Still refusing to work
9. Damn a phone call
10. Wrong number!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Getting used to a new pair of glasses today
2. The frames are very similar to the old ones
3. Just not corroded and falling apart
4. Given my eyesight, seeing is more important than making a fashion statement:r:
5. Have better lens
6 Wow-better depth perception
7. Trying to read two books at the same time
8. Fortunately , they are different styles of books
9. The book of Ecclesiastes really speaking to me as of late
10. Ant man looks like a fun movie.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am thinking about going old school with a Franklin Planner. Not a fan of the electronic systems so far.
2) There is a pile of empty cardboard boxes in my apartment that won't leave on their own.
3) 30 years ago this week Mel Fisher and his company found the most valuable shipwreck of all time, the Nuestra Señora de Atocha. It only took him 16 years and every day he would say "today's the day!"
4) I was told today that my Yukon XL Denali is the biggest vehicle in the parking lot, and it is the opposite of what they expect a Planner to drive.
5) We are having pork chops for dinner tonight.
6) I would love to spend a year or two sailing around the world.
7) I am just drained by 3pm. Last night I was in bed by 8. I would not be surprised it that happens again tonight.
8) I wonder if there is ice-cream in the freezer.
9) my life is no where as organized as I am use to right now.
10) I wonder where in the region we will buy a house.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. I wish I was working in a field that I was passionate about. Like cooking.
2. I would like to be able to play the piano at a high level someday.
3. Dieting for me is not possible. I cheat. To the point that eating normal meals would be probably be less calories.
4. I love water. Just straight up cold water. No flavors necessary.
5. I can be so efficient that I get done in 2 hours what many people get done in 4 hours. This leaves me 2 hours to fill though, of which I should be more efficient with. But I am not.
6. I am hosting a wedding reception on my property this weekend. It should be fun I guess.
7. I like entertaining people. I hope that my next house is setup to do this. Our current one is not meant for company.
8. I love my kids. They are not only just like me, but they are prettier and smarter thanks to my wife.
9. I feel really retrospective lately. Not sure what that is all about.
10. I would love to get 10 hours of sleep one night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. My nephew's graduation party wasn't as dull as I feared. Some interesting grown ups were in attendance
2. Trust is a funny thing
3. The person who devised the concept of currency was a genius
4. Steam locomotives are pretty nifty too
5. I admit I like the bands Bread and America. I shouldn't have to apologize for this fact yet I find myself doing so
6. Ever notice how general purpose cookbooks have entire sections devoted to appetizers and beverages - when was the last time you pulled a recipe from either section?
7. popsicles represent the essence of my childhood summers
8. I would like roast beef for dinner but that's not going to happen on a Thurs. night
9. We often speak of certain things as if we understand what they're all about simply because we can give them a name. That's a form of lying
10. I am the operator of my pocket calculator

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Wife and I finished our August personal budget last night... things sure are more expensive down here. Our single largest expenditure... our Nanny. She gets 28% of our take home!
2) While digging around for a note book in the office supplies, I found a note book that Beach Bum was using. She has very nice penmanship!
3) Weather people said that this summer has record humidity. This makes me happy because I have been comfortable with it. Additionally, my wife commented last night how her mom was complaining about the heat and humidity in Michigan. I could not contain my excitement and when asked why I was so happy about my MIL complaining, I pointed out "That means the crazy lady will NEVER move here!" My wife hit me and walked away laughing.
4) Maister, you need to Trust in God... all others must provide data.
5) I gave up on the NCDMV getting a check I mailed out. I went on line and paid the vehicle personal property tax this morning. If they get the check they can credit my account for next year or return it. I don't care at this point.
6) This fall should be fun. Oldest and Middle son will be going to different schools. Both start around the same time and they are not all that close to each other. Oh, and my wife and I are both at work at this time. The oldest has been asking if he can ride the bus, so we might look into that.
7) Today is lunch day with my wife and the younger two. I have no idea where we are going to eat at.
8) Learned a coworker has a degree is political science, is an extremist liberal (but thinks global warming is a wrong :r:), but he said he will not vote for Hillary if she is on the final ticket.
9) I have received more AICP CM credits from free webinars this summer than I knew was possible. I have come to the conclusion that a person can get all their AICP CM credits without spending any money in less than a year.
10) This month there is a blue moon!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
  1. Iamgoing to a previewscreening of Mission Impossible tonightwith my son
  2. My son got cake in my keyboard at work and so thespace bardoesn't work right
  3. I did my project list and hyperventilated
  4. showed it to my town manager andhe did not
  5. I do like it here though
  6. My music score is Lord of the Rings- Fellowship of the Ring
  7. My son worriesabout me all the time - notsure whatthat'sall about
  8. I am devastated my kidsdon'twant to beherethis fall with me
  9. Iwill have to work harder at redefining normal
  10. I love it when my apartment is clean

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
luckless pedestrian said:
My music score is Lord of the Rings- Fellowship of the Ring
I do like that chorale piece when Gandalf dies in Moria. The lag on chord transitions is amazing. Somehow the composer perfectly captured the emotions behind 'a noble death'. Quite moving.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Not even a 40 hour week for me, yet it feels longer so far than some 50 hour weeks
2. I don't think my life would be all that different if I lived in Canada
3. I haven't really started the 'looking forward to fall' phase yet, but since the thought entered my mind for the first time this week it can't be far off
4. I like having seasonal things to look forward to
5. Junior should find out who is 4th grade teacher is any day now. Mom and dad already know, but want him to be surprised (pleasantly)
6. I never collected baseball cards as a child and only possess three cards. I was given the cards by a friend in exchange for some trinket he wanted. Interestingly, one of the three cards happens to be Steve Garvey's rookie year!
7. Pygmalion is one of my favorite premises for a play, but I don't think My Fair Lady is that great of a flick (must be Rex doing all those 'talky' songs)
8. I'm really really glad I'm not famous. Being a celebrity would truly suck
9. Some people are celebrities just because
10. Regular salted peanuts are preferable to beer nuts when drinking beer IMHO

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Best friend from GR is flying in today. I am going to only do a half day tomorrow. We plan on all going to the ocean on Saturday, hopefully not to feed the sharks.
2) It was only 67 when I left this morning. It felt like I should have a jacket on.
3) I don't know what is going on with my washing machine. Everything comes out with piles of lint stuck to the fabric.
4) I think I might look for a vacant lot out in the country in the county over from us somewhere to buy now and build a house on in a few years. The way land is getting consumed in this region, I fear there might not be too many available lots left in the future.
5) I think I broke my hand the other day. My pinkie clicks when I move it and there is a bunch of pain at that edge of my back of my hand.
6) My oldest is wearing an NMU hockey T-shirt today. I am sure a teacher is going to ask, where is NMU?
7) I have a lot of stuff to do over the next few days, but I don't find it to be overwhelming by any means.
8) According to my fitbit, I average 6 hours of sleep per night.
9) I have come to the realization that it is possible to get twice the number of required CM credits every year, for free, if you plug into Tuesdays at APA, Webinars, and regional free events.
10) Bullet Journals are awesome.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Code enforcement complaint follow up.
2. Running reports for the "lead" housing counselor because she doesn't know how and RT used to do it but her last day was yesterday.
3. My desk is a mess, it will get worse before it gets better.
4. My boss is on vacation which means more stuff is getting done.
5. I am going to Philly next week for a two day conference that I always enjoy, bonus that it's in Philly this year.
6. I need to wash the Subaru.
7. rt is too smart for her own good, she makes logical arguments when told no.
8. I am ready for fall.
9. I am looking forward to going to Puerto Rico in two weeks.
10. I have a new job that starts on 9/8

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. I like swing music.
2. I don't like coaching two soccer teams.
3. I think I will always need relaxing time. Just to completely veg out. Video games work for this.
4. I really hope that my kids get good grades.
5. I am busy. I seem to always be busy. Always.
6. Toots McGee would be a great golfer name.
7. Ice water is not as good as ice wine.
8. Green is clearly the best color, but I think blue is starting to take a commanding second place.
9. Bumfuzzle is a word.
10. Engineers. You know what I mean? Right? Right?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. yep, it's my birthday. Sure doesn't feel like it.
2. Did a side by side taste test comparison between Willi's and Kern's landjager.... and still can't pick a favorite
3. I like to whistle
4. Train whistles on the other hand usually annoy me
5. Couple more weeks before Junior starts school
6. Junior found out he got the teacher he hoped for but also ended up with a kid in his class he despises
7. c'est la vie
8. I am probably going to bachelor it for a week soon. That's the longest since getting married 22 years ago
9. I cordially dislike trying to figure out what constitutes 'usable floor area' on plans
10. what to have for lunch?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Mini-skis gets signed up for Cub Scouts tonight. He is freaking out excited.
2) Wife is on call all weekend. No beach for us.
3) My sister is coming to visit next weekend. She is also coming back the week between Christmas and New Years too.
4) Make pulled pork in a crockpot yesterday. I think I am getting the hang of this southern cooking thing.
5) Had one developer start badmouthing another developer without knowing that he was standing right outside the door. We gave developer 1 a heads up.
6) Watched Furious 7 last night on Apple TV. I love that series and will be interested to see how Brian O'Connor dies in #8. I also like how #7 ties in Tokyo Drift.
7) Trying to figure out where in the region we want to live is getting difficult. There are tons of options, but my wife's on-call distance limitation is putting a major hindrance on affordable and safe neighborhoods.
8) Sometimes I like to change things up and go with the green Tabasco sauce instead of the red Tabasco.
9) Tomorrow is our Nanny's last day. Her identical twin sister starts next Monday.
10) Our apartment is ok, but we have noticed how poor of a job they did with some of the finishes and similar features.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
3) My sister is coming to visit next weekend. She is also coming back the week between Christmas and New Years too.
Another something to get used to when you move to the South. You become real popular when the weather up north gets $hitty. My standard repossess is that then you should come here in July/August when it is an outdoor sauna outside. In fairness, that's when I go up north to get out of the heat/humidity for a week or so.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm presently binge-watching SVU.
2. I'm not good with business machines. When I hear the copier stop, I grab the papers on the landing tray, sometimes to find out that an empty feed tray left me with incomplete copies.
3. I missed quite a bit of work after my son's knee surgery, so I worked all week with a rotten cold.
4. I'm tired.
5. And I want chocolate pudding.
6. Oldest child began a new teaching job, and youngest began his first semester of college.
7. I'm not ready for summer to end.
8. Tomorrow could be an eventful day. Hopefully not.
9. The Steeler Nation is in an uproar because of Michael Vick's signing.
10. You just never know.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Been kind of a long week for me and there's still the rest of today and half of tomorrow
2. I enjoyed solo time last night but not as much as I thought I would. The prospect of work today kept me from having as much fun as I could have.
3. Dental cleaning this afternoon
4. It was nice getting spicy coated fried chicken last night without any discussion or debate
5. My neighbors seem to be acting more civil towards me as of late
6. the Wright Flyer may be a primitive aircraft but everything that went into its creation is truly remarkable
7. A stop at Bell's is in order this weekend
8. I've started work on a game. If it playtests well I intend to market it
9. For some people life is all about picking a direction and going that way, but not for everyone
10. It's helpful to periodically evaluate one's wants and needs and determine which are which so as not to lose perspective

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Today is my Friday. 4 day weekend is going to be awesome.
2) Tomorrow I need to get boy scout uniforms for me and Miniskis
3) Looking forward to the beach on Saturday. We plan on getting into town by 8am so we can find a parking space walking distance from the beach.
4) Eating lunch with the wife and kids today. Chick-Fil-A
5) Spent a few ours out with the Codes Administrators looking at a historic building in downtown.
6) I have a Windows Surface Pro 3 as my only computer for work that I bring home at night. The docking system is very neat.
7) It is not crazy warm, but the humidity level is extremely high today. I am still ok with it though.
8) Did you know that the width of a rail road track is proportional to the width of a horses but? The tracks were the same distance as horse cart and chariot lines and those were designed so that two horses could walk next to each other and the track would naturally fall between their legs not resulting in a trip hazard.
9) I need to find a way to waterproof my fit bit for Tough Mudder next weekend. Packaging tape might be the best option.
10) I am looking forward to the Christmas season now that my heat bill will not be so freaking expansive.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. I hate learning of people's death. Life is really too short.
2. When asked if I enjoy my work, I say yes, because I do. But honestly I would really like to be a chef, or a rock star, or somehow change the world for the better.
3. Allergies. They suck.
4. Piano music. It doesn't suck.
5. I think a good quality stapler is underrated.
6. I dislike paperclips. I use them all the time though.
7. Permits, applications, files, books, maps, plats.
8. I finally looked at my retirement balance. Ouch. Seriously ouch.
9. It is hot out. I am ready for Fall nights.
10. I miss cross country season in the fall. The smells are unforgettable.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I wish I didn't lose my Southern accent.
2. We rode the incline up to Mt. Washington, which overlooks Pittsburgh, and had lunch there.
3. A practical joke went really bad yesterday.
4. I'm kind of sad that summer's ending.
5. I prefer peaches and strawberries to pumpkin spice.
6. I plan on working my way home tomorrow in order to avoid traffic.
7. There's always that person who won't eat Chinese when you're with a group of people.
8. I've never looked forward to government holidays.
9. One of our secretaries is having rough time caring for ill family members. I wish I could help her.
10. My landlord wants to sell this house.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. It was a nice week long vacation but it's also nice to have the family back
2. It was nice to be able to eat and drink what I want when I want, but it's also nice to have the family back
3. I would never wear patent leather shoes anymore
4. One of my cousins is a boorish loudmouth plain and simple
5. He of course looks upon his own behavior as "not being afraid to tell it like it is" as if that were some kind of virtue:r:
6. The less some people know the more certain they are of their opinions
7. Fall is near. I can feel the seasonal change a-coming
8. Steam locomotives are cool
9. Holiday foods are great in principle but I've always had trouble wrapping my head around mince meat pies
10. He who laughs last laughs best.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Had my first pumpkin flavored treat of the season.
2. I think there is still some fresh watermelon in our fridge.
3. It is difficult to get excited about a plan when the implementors don't get it.
4. Rainy day, rainy day music, rainy day mood.
5. Need to change the pandora station.
6. Korean food for dinner tonight!
7. Followed by Amurrican cupcakes.
8. Too many ideas and not enough energy.
9. Not enough time to spend curled up on the couch with the pets either.
10. Hubby won't let me get a hamster.

The One

Cyburbian
Cough Cough

1. Worst string of air quality all year....three straight days of warnings to not breathe unless absolutely necessary
2. Start teaching GIS to economics majors next week
3. Ran out of hand sanitizer.....again
4. Brainstorming ideas for a winter vacation over Christmas
5. Thinking about having a hamster named randy delivered to Dandy
6. Boss is leaving me alone and I like it
7. Will watch a movie still in theaters at home tonight....PM me if you want to know how
8. I use WAY too many sticky notes on my desk
9. Should I buy bourbon, whiskey or vodka tonight? Only enough $ for one
10. Would buy a girls of Cyburbia calendar for the office8-!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I saw a Mackinac Island Fudge Milkshake sign today on our local main street. If it wasn't for the 90+ degree hand humid weather, the glowing ball of fire in the sky that the locals call sun, the awesome smell of BBQ, and the sound of Country Music being played, I would forget that I was in NC.
2) I need to pack tonight because I need to leave right from work at lunch tomorrow to get to the airport to hop on a plane to Green Bay WI. I have been working on a list of stuff that I need to bring and stuff not to bring. Additionally, I am doing carry on, so I am limited there too. I wish I had a large backpack that could hold everything I need.
3) I am a bit disappointed by the Apple Product Announcements yesterday. The iPad Pro looks neat, but it is running a regular iOS and not a version of the full Mac OS that is on Mac desktops and macbooks. The new Apple TV is also ok, but I don't think it is worth getting rid of my generation 3 apple TV to spend $150+ on a new one with a remote control that I can talk to. Finally, the iPhone 6 is awesome and until the iPhones start offering programmable NFID, I don't foresee an update being any cooler.
4) I am pondering if I want to meet up with other Boy Scout dads for a beer tonight, or spend the evening with my family that I won't see until Sunday evening... never mind... wife and kids win.
5) I called Maister on the phone to ask a sign question today. It was fun to catch him a bit off guard as I doubt he was expecting me to call.
6) I found a few floor plans that I really like and are within my price range (although I need to finish saving up the down payment). Biggest catch is my wife's job. If she stays were she is at, it limits the locations and options substantially. If she moves to a different hospital, BOOM, tons of options.
7) My sister nicknamed my youngest bulldog. He is tougher and more aggressive than his older brothers.
8) I have been trying to figure out an appropriate morning routine for me. I realize that it will require discipline to stick with it and make it a habit, but I can't seem to find a consistency. Additionally, the realization that I am not able to leave the apartment because my wife leaves at 5am and the nanny does not arrive until 7:30 greatly limits opportunities to work out, go for coffee in a public place, or even go into the office early.
9) I think that moving to a new part of the world every month would be fun. Rent a furnished condo for a month and then move on to the next place. I also think I would enjoy sailing around the world for a year.
10) We still need to downsize more junk that we don't need. I still have boxes and boxes of stuff that we may never use.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I am experiencing quite a bit of anxiety this morning. That's not good.
2. I was out sick yesterday and work continued to pile up. No one offered to help of course.
3. Would you rather work for a shark or a snake? The majority would probably say shark but I would probably choose snake
4. Hardly ever get to just sit and listen to music anymore
5. Last night was not a good night of sleep. What else is new?
6. Am considering dropping the family's membership to the Y
7. Most folks are fairly decent at heart in a one-on-one situation
8. I wish I could have an awesome Amish quilt for the house and not have to pay much for it
9. I bet no one else on Cyburbia has thought at all about St. Patrick's Day today. Well, I have.
10. The adage I cite more than any other is "discretion is the better part of valor"

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am not having a good day today. Not too sure what is going on but I can not snap out of this funk that I am in. I hope I am not getting sick because that would suck.
2) Someone cooked something with Coconut in it in our office. I am not sure how I feel about that, but one thing is for sure... the odor is extremely strong and my office is the closest one to the break area.
3) Tonight is the Pack meeting for cub scouts. I am a little worried because I have completed the den leader training to be the assistant den leader. The den leader hasn't started. I really hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.
4) Wife is on call this weekend and there are a ton of fun events that we could go do this weekend. Not sure what we will end up doing though.
5) Our (My wife and I) are going to celebrate our 8th anniversary next weekend. IF we were in GR, we had a tradition of going out in downtown for Art Prize. We are not in GR anymore so we have no idea what we should do. One thing is for sure... I am going to see if the Nanny can watch the kids for a few hours.
6) I got Asian chill pepper sauce on my white dress shirt. Based on the ability of the Tide Pen, I think I am going to need to get a new shirt.
7) I am pondering taking the rest of the day off.
8) The photos of Tough Mudder are actually very cool. One of my buddies did not realize how large his bald spot was until he saw the photo of him climbing out of the mud.
9) I have one Fitbit Friend who is psycho if she is not on the top of everyone's friend list. She has over 125,000 steps in the past 7 days.
10) I get to issue a denial letter today. Someone did not read any of the regulations. I don't know if any aspect of this garage meets the regulations in the ZO.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I'm glad I'm not sick.
2. Sick is of course a relative term
3. Office furniture tends to be constructed with more durable materials than household furniture. Why is that?
4. I'm in the mood for some very unhealthy stuff but have my annual physical scheduled in a couple of weeks.
5. Carmel apples.....they're fruit, right? That's healthy stuff!
6. Better can and freeze veggies this weekend for sure.
7. Better dry herbs too
8. Gold ink: now that's an interesting concept
9. I have the feeling that something momentous (as in the world history sort) is going to happen in the next couple months
10. It occurs to me Nostradamus had a great gig. The key to making predictions is to be vague and ambiguous

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) It was in the 80's yesterday... today it is in the 60's. Tomorrow it will be in the 50's. Not really thrilled about this cold crap.
2) I doubt the hurricane will hit us. However, I do plan on parking my truck and wife's car at the highest point in the parking lot near our place.
3) I am shocked at how expensive boy scout popcorn is.
4) My youngest is 2 today! We might go out to eat someplace fun.
5) I found the house design that I want for when I build a house. There are a few material changes that I am going to want to make, but the basic floor plan and structure is exactly what I want.
6) Wife and I are still planning to go out for dinner on Saturday night for our anniversary. But the weather might change those plans.
7) I want a banana tree for my office.
8) Life would be so much simpler if developers followed the rules.
9) Why don't more people drink water instead of soda (or pop for those of you in the midwest)
10) A friend of mine and his wife paid off their house and everything a few months ago. He sent me the video of them destroying all the bills that they received in the mail in some very creative ways. It is so cool because they are in their early 30's and expecting their first child in February.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Junior stayed home sick today
2. I am 40% sure he's actually sick and not just milking it for an additional day off from school
3. Six weeks from now I gotta have my annual physical eval. for the Health Maintenance Program at work. Not looking forward to that
4. The new guy at work has a decent personality and seems like he'll fit in
5. I'm thinking about painting over the basement floor where the salt got into it.
6. Having a birthday on Christmas would pretty much suck, but having one on Halloween would actually be pretty cool.
7. Time to start bringing all the sprinklers, hoses, lawn furniture, and other outdoor items inside
8. Having multiple household bank accounts is both useful and an administrative pain
9. It's time to give up on the local newspaper. No longer worth the price of the subscription.
10. Considering the tv show is now 50 years old, 'Batman' has aged pretty well IMHO

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Happy that Mister's employer finally filled my old job... it has only been a decade or so since I left. Please tell me he isn't liberal though. You need balance in that office.
2) A planning event back in MI won an award. I am happy for them because they used my area specific plan for that corridor as their blueprint.
3) I found out that my supervisor will also be at the Red Wings game this weekend. However, she will be in a luxury box whereas I will be in the upper deck. I am good with that though.
4) It has been cool at night and warm during the day the past couple days. It is awesome to feel 80+ degree warmth in October.
5) Not sure what I want for lunch today. I had pizza yesterday. Maybe something Asian today. I am getting hungry already.
6) I just had a developer ask me to leave the room because he does not know me and needed to have a confidential conversation with the director. I am the one doing the review but I think he knows something that the public should not know yet, and wants to make sure it does not get leaked.
7) I am having problems finding a rim for my truck. One of them had a crack that was causing a small leak. The new ones are expensive as shipping is expensive too.
8) I am going to eat a pre-lunch I think.
9) Sometimes I wonder if movies like I-Robot or Minority Report really work to predict the future in terms of development or if they just dream big.
10) Does anyone else use the untapped app to keep track of beers? Or is it just me?

kms

Cyburbian
1. I've been at training all week.
2. Today is warm and sunny.
3. I'm sitting by the hotel pool where there are no people.
4. This is the first time I skipped a session, but the room is full of people and I'm tired of people.
5. I like to watch a particular extrovert work the crowd.
6. Last night's dinner sucked.
7. The term "sucked" slowly worked its way into my vocabulary.
8. A couple of my male coworkers prefer "curvy" women.
9. I like to match the color of my socks to my shirts.
10. One of today's speakers reminded me of a boy trying to act and sound like a man.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. It's a rather fall-ish day today. Appropriately so.
2. I don't care if 10 things is a lot of randoms to come up with. Just remember, anything worth doing is worth doing thoroughly
3. Cider mill weekend coming up
4. Speaking of which, I don't suppose there's any way I'm going to drop 30 lbs in the next 30 days before the employee health eval
5. I don't like to get grapefruit for home consumption that often, just so it stays special
6. I watched an episode of CHiPs with Junior yesterday. Let's just say that show hasn't aged particularly well.
7. I tell people I don't like Shakespeare, but in truth I actually have great regard for the Immortal Bard
8. If I had 2 grand to blow on the house, I'd spend it on new carpet.
9. I've liked some really lame songs in my day.
10. My favorite type of pop is ginger ale and my favorite ginger ale is Vernor's

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am looking forward to the NC APA conference next week. It is going to be nice to meet other planners from the state.
2) Boy scout popcorn orders are due tonight. I am not sure how I feel about it because the popcorn is insane expensive.
3) Ummm no Mr. Developer Man. Your preliminary site plan still shows trees in several driveways and that is just the top of the list. You are not ready to go to Planning Commission
4) I need to drive my truck for more than 30 consecutive minutes to get the check engine light to reset. All thanks to a lose gas cap. (that is what the oil change place thinks anyways)
5) I am guessing that my 1:30 appointment is not going to make it. Thanks for the heads up.
6) Michigan State v. Michigan this weekend. I think that I might have to make some type of bet with my stepmom on this one. First time in years that Michigan might have a good chance of being a contender.
7) Sometimes I wonder if we post stuff on this threat but no one reads it. BTW, I hear that Maister has a Trump sign in his front yard and is trying to replicate the Donald comb over.
8) Talked with a guy who has an 800 HP, twin turbo version of my truck. He showed me a picture where he smoked a mustang cobra at the local drag strip.
9) My wife bought a pair of high heals that she said fit well and actually feel comfortable. Massive win for me because she is freaking hot in heals.
10) I found myself looking at the floor plan of the house I want to buy thinking about where I would need to run the cat 5 lines for the security system, where my gun safes would go, and trying to decide which lot I wanted to buy. Thinking something internal perimeter, not a cul-de-sac lot. Also not next door to the amenity center.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
7) Sometimes I wonder if we post stuff on this threat but no one reads it. BTW, I hear that Maister has a Trump sign in his front yard and is trying to replicate the Donald comb over.
I never bother to read anyone's comments.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. Run, run, run.
2. I need more music on my phone. I should have gotten a 32 gb.
3. My list of to do's is confusing. I need a better system.
4. My right eye keeps twitching.
5. I like Casey Neistat. He is interesting. YouTube him.
6. I know the process to build a house. The process to buy a house is another story.
7. Yep. No, seriously. Uh, huh.
8. I need a new video game (computer or PS3).
9. Two cases. Simple.
10. Fudge. But I have cookies? Fudge and cookies. Nice.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. They're not going to do the employee health evals in two weeks after all. Yay! It's Miller time!
2. There have been more potential variance requests in the last week than the previous 4 months combined.
3. It's 35 degrees outside and white stuff is falling from the skies.....SLEET!
4. You can tell it's getting close to Halloween
5. Junior likes Halloween and Thanksgiving better than Christmas. What kinda kid thinks that way?
6. The paper reduction program is falling way short of goals
7. Whoever thought up carpet had a good idea
8. No more resident complaints today would be nice.
9. Attending a hoarding task force meeting this afternoon
10. Mmmmm chocolate

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. I eat better when I am exercising. That seems somewhat backwards.
2. I am excited for 2016.
3. Halloween and daylight savings time change in one weekend. Yea!
4. Voting on Tuesday. Not sure there is much that matters to me.
5. I look forward to when we all have digital name tags on us and we can interact with people who have similar characteristics as us. I want an auto friend maker.
6. I think being a futurist would be a great job. Just make up cool shit that you want to happen in the future.
7. I have 6 stamps on my desk. I feel like that is maybe 4 too many stamps.
8. Binder clips. Good invention.
9. Who can eat two breakfast sandwiches? Buy one get one free? Why do I need that? Just give me a discount.
10. Our re-branding effort was a great thing. We now at least seem classy. Quality and classy. That's me!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Last night I was marking up the floor plan of the house my wife and I are thinking about building. Most of the stuff is regular options and one major change is a layout of the kitchen of the model home with that floor plan. Other stuff is adding a window here, installing the optional door there, taking out a shower here...
2) I am so proud of myself for packing my lunch most of the week. Tonight will also be the first night this week that we are not cooking at home and that is only because the wife is going for a massage and we need to eat a bit early.
3) I am seriously looking forward to Christmas this year. It is going to be awesome.
4) My CFFL team is sucks. I think I am going to see outside help because while I have a better record than the Detroit Lions, it is still sad.
5) My oldest and I got into a conversation about the temperament of Zombies last night at dinner. He also wanted to know if vampires needed sunscreen to go out during the day.
6) I went through some very old e-mails today... as in back when I first started working with Maister old!
7) I was in Tide's Town this past weekend. I was very impressed with the installation of national chain restaurants into their urban grid, even though these restaurants are normally large out lot suburban places.
8) Miniskis went on a field trip to a science museum today. I am sure he had fun since we have been there several times already.
9) I am exhausted today, despite getting 7 hours of sleep last night.
10) On Sunday, we are thinking about taking several hours and going to explore our possible future town. (No I am not leaving my job, but the wife got a new job and we will move closer to her job. My commute will be a bit longer but I am ok with that).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I almost forgot to update my FF team.
2) Wife has her last on call weekend at the current hospital. I will be very happy when she is done there.
3) We are still pondering housing possibilities.
4) I hope my friends in the midwest are staying safe with this storm.
5) I have been thinking about getting a nice watch again. But I am up in the air about it.
6) It's chicken taco night at my house tonight.
7) I am going to stop at the store on my way home to pick up some stuff.
8) My oldest has no school for 3 weeks. Today was day two and he is ready to go back to class. He gets board so quickly.
9) Sometimes I find post its with a reminder on it that makes no sense to me at all.
10) This is the first year in quite some time that we will not have a date with a progressive chain. (ie, 12/13/14 from last year)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Interest in ten things seems to be waning. Maybe that's as it should be
2. Junior is looking forward to his fencing class tonight
3. I started season 6 of M*A*S*H* last night
4. Charles Emerson Winchester III is a funnier and richer character than Frank Burns any day
5. Had a delicious beef/tomato/pepper stir fry last night
6. It was nice of imaplanner and ofos to stop by recently
7. Included on my list of things to do in life is learning a new magic trick I can pull off anywhere/anytime
8. I like The Cars
9. I suspect happiness would continue to elude me even if I were to arrange all the circumstances in my life to my own specifications
10. Some good quality bread would hit the spot

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I have my 6-month probationary review tomorrow. I don't think I am going to get fired anytime soon thank goodness.
2) We almost had to turn on the AC last night... however a cold front came in so we just left the windows open. Oh, and it's DECEMBER!
3) Miniskis has boy scouts tonight and I am leading the activity... Games that Tigers Play.
4) My wife is hot. :-$ I married way the hell up.
5) The anti-gun left is starting to get stupid. I am surprised they don't blame terrorist attacks in foreign countries on the NRA too. (I don't agree with everything the NRA says either... but still)
6) I think I need to replace the brake pads on my truck. This is something that I can do myself and I have the tools, but the question is do I want to.
7) My office needs some antiques. I am going to start looking for old picture frames, old maps, and other cool stuff.
8) I wonder how much old antique stuff I can put in our new house. Too often new-build houses don't have the character and charm of old houses.
9) Miniskis asked about getting a pet this morning. I think we will wait until we get a new place before we commit to getting him a pet.
10) My office is very clean right now.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. Out of the office tomorrow for a conference.
2. Not angry about getting out of the office. I don't get out much anymore.
3. I like Twix. I don't eat them much anymore, but they are quality. I mean they aren't Whatchamacallits, but they are good.
4. Subway isn't like it used to be. This month's deal is 50c more for double the meat. Really?
5. I worked at Subway when we cut the bread from the top.
6. I am moving into the part of my life where quality trumps quantity. I like fewer things that are much better.
7. I am also now willing to spend money on life enriching things for me and my kids instead of stupid things.
8. I still buy stupid things. I bought a pressure smoker a couple years ago. I used it once. It was a stupid purchase.
9. I need a better system for my todo lists.
10. My wife is going to Indianapolis for the weekend with her girlfriends. Guys weekend!

kms

Cyburbian
1. Last day before vacation.
2. I can't wait to get home and stop eating holiday food, well, any food.
3. I'm fading fast.
4. I rode to work with two dishes of hot chilaquiles, and was so hungry by the time I arrived.
5. Chilaquiles that are made ahead of time don't hold up well, but they still taste good.
6. I'm afraid that one of my coworkers is struggling financially and isn't getting enough of the right food to eat.
7. The chiropractor is working wonders on my gimpy leg.
8. Christmas forecast is 65. I hope that's a dry 65 so I can take a bike ride.
9. One of my new co-workers is from my home state, well, home commonwealth.
10. My mom is beginning to feel the effects of chemo. That makes me sad.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am still so tired from the other night it is hard to focus. I almost answered the phone and said the name of the City that Maister works for.
2) I have bad news for a local architect. The guy is a bit of a jerk, so I might enjoy this a little too much.
3) Last night after Boy Scouts Miniskis received a full 1lb bag of skittles as a birthday gift at a local burrito place. We go there about twice a week.
4) Might do B-dubs for dinner tonight since we did not get to go last night and Miniskis loves it.
5) I have been thinking a bunch about my goals for the next year. *I start new goals every year on my birthday, which happens to be between Christmas and New Years.
6) I think I am going to build a classic wood drafting table for my next woodworking project. Something simple but awesome.
7) Today feels like a Friday to me. But I have to work tomorrow.
8) It sounds like it will be 75 and sunny on Christmas day. I think the wife and I will take the kids hiking or something outdoors.
9) The mail system here is horrible.
10) We just put the agenda together for next month's meeting. I might bring a pillow, blanket... it is going to be a long meeting.

10. My mom is beginning to feel the effects of chemo. That makes me sad.
Sorry you and your mom have to go through this. I have been in your shoes before and it is not a fun place to be.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Today I am a brunette.
2. Yesterday I was a blonde.
3. I once dyed my hair red.
4. Red hair is not flattering on me.
5. Whenever I see a squirrel in the wild, I say, "Squirrel."
6. Need to run tomorrow.
7. Doing 3 races in April.
8. Remember how I found you there, alone in your electric chair.
9. Feeling nostalgic.
10. Joined a book club.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1. Wow we really fell off the 10 things Thursday wagon. Maister I blame you.
2. I am cleaning and moving offices again. I have been in three offices in two years.
3. Probably going to Tennessee in March. Big cabin with friends. Should be fun.
4. I do not like my bank. It might just be the bank lady I deal with, but they are really not helpful.
5. I am trying to be more organized. I am not doing so well.
6. I need systems and procedures in my life. If I am just winging it, I do okay, but not great.
7. I run out of paperclips insanely quickly. Not sure where they all go.
8. I made a rubber band ball a couple years ago. It is falling apart now.
9. Key lime pie is very good. I bought a store made one, and it was still good.
10. Soccer tomorrow night. I am pretty excited about it.