• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ten Things Thursday

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. What do you call a snail on a ship?
2. A snailor.
3. Itty Bitty is very excited about Halloween (candy).
4. Tomorrow is going to be rough day.
5. It snowed here this morning.
6. I thought it was pretty.
7. Come March I will have a different thing to say about the snow.
8. Ding Dong. My name is Elder Price.
9. I need to rake leaves before the real snow arrives.
10. I am delaying my first cold weather season Starbucks Hot Chocolate because once I start, I can't stop.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
1. I have been drinking salted caramel mochas fairly consistently since they came out this season. I'll be secretly relieved when they go away until next year.
2. I am exhausted but the coffee is helping.
3. ... until 3pm when I'm bound to crash and burn from my caffeine high.
4. Tons of stuff to do this weekend.
5. I have been putting off making curtains for almost a month now.
6. Throw a funeral in the weekend mix and I imagine I won't get as much done as I'd planned this weekend.
7. It's 80° today and I'm freezing; that's ridiculous.
8. My desk is starting to look a bit disheveled. I guess my true colors are starting to show.
9. I think 10 points is way too many.
10. Pass

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is next week
2. Going to host T-Day at inlaws house (don't ask)
3. Plat review and approval was evidently not a particularly involved process 75 years ago
4. Simplicity is not always a good thing
5. The more you know the more complicated you realize things are
6. Lakefront property is still generally a good investment
7. Darned pen Is leaking
8. I may need new wardrobe for Xmas.
9. No reason to think last weeks software is any better than a proven program that's 10 years old
10. Meow

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My wife wants us to get a family membership to the local kids museum. We might hit it up after the parade on Saturday.
2) I "friend" made a derogatory comment on their FB page about anyone who didn't vote for Hillary and wanted to know who we are so she would unfriend us all. I was the first to respond.
3) Looking forward to a quiet thanksgiving at home with the wife and kids. No extended family, no travel, nothing but me, football, immediate family, and good food.
4) My wife will not park her vehicle in the garage. Mine does not fit if we store anything in there. Does this mean that I can just use it as a woodshop. I believe so.
5) Lunchtime naps occur more on weeks with late night meetings.
6) There was a millennial who flagged me down because he had a flat tire this morning in our subdivision and did not know how to use a jack, and had no cell reception. My 7 year old explained how to use the jack to him. (But I would not let my kid do it for safety reasons)
7) I have too much junk in my office.
8) I also have to much junk at my house.
9) I don't care if people want to voice their opposition to Trump getting elected, but when the protests block public streets and progress into violence or property damage, that is crossing the line.
10) I might bring some old plan sheets home to my kids. They like to color big pictures on the backs.

Planit

Cyburbian
10) I might bring some old plan sheets home to my kids. They like to color big pictures on the backs.
I've done that for years. The Girl loved drawing big pictures & it was going to be recycled anyway. A few times she even colored in the drawing on the front, especially with site plans.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've done that for years. The Girl loved drawing big pictures & it was going to be recycled anyway. A few times she even colored in the drawing on the front, especially with site plans.
Me too. Big paper is necessary for big drawings of monsters.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Snow day. Again
2. I'm hungry. I had better get used to it
3. One doesn't get sick of listening to Christmas music when one doesn't turn on the radio. Words to live by
4. I think we are going to quit our church
5. polar vortex polar schmortex
6. I don't know how we have managed to stay solvent this month
7. Technically this is still fall. I know, hard to believe, huh?
8. We need to come up with some fun family holiday activities for next Friday
9. I'm looking forward to playing Pandemic
10. Need to bump the 'what's for dinner' thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. How has this thread had no new posts since last December?
2. We close on the new (to us) house tomorrow.
3. I don't expect any surprises at the closing (yeah, yeah, famous last words and all that).
4. I'm working from home today.
5. And, of course, we had a showing of our current house scheduled on us for this afternoon, so I'll have to bug out of here right around the time I have a conference call scheduled.
6. I was contacted (somewhat) out of the blue by another firm yesterday.
7. I'm not looking to leave my current firm, and I was going to ignore the introductory e-mail until I saw it was from their Director of Talent Acquisition for the Americas.
8. That's a great job title, imo - I probably would have not responded if it had been a headhunter or a minion.
9. No harm in a quick chat with him, I suppose.
10. Time for breakfast, which is looking like it'll probably be leftover pasta salad.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Welcome back 10 Things Thursday
2. I'm going to start exercising with someone at the Y on a semi-regular basis
3. Anxiety is riding high today
4. I got Farm Simulator 17 for my b-day (an early gift) and it is awesome fun
5. But I don't know how to pick up wheat that's been cut by the harvester and left on the ground
6. The magic 8 ball says "definitely"
7. five weeks till Mrs Maister has surgery
8. gotta scrap the Buick tonight
9. chalk and chalkboards are vanishing
10. I cordially dislike most current "R&B"

kms

Cyburbian
1. Lunch was a grilled Gruyere cheese sandwich and homemade onion soup.
2. I cut the sandwich into croutons.
3. Finding 10 things to list became too much of a challenge.
4. My phone died a couple of days ago. It was traumatic for me, but not for Apple.
5. I'm noticing the shorter days and cooler nights, and dreading the end of summer.
6. I wish that my son missed me as much as I miss him. :(
7. Today is the 27th anniversary of the day I became a parent.
8. I observed two friends who dated and decided to be friends instead. I think they're missing out on a good relationship.
9. I'm being recognized and getting a gift for working here for 10 years. I get to choose the gift, and of course I'm at a loss.
10. I think I lost my desire to wander around and find roads I haven't used before.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Afternoon coffee is a wonderful thing.
2) I have some friends from up north driving down to visit for the weekend.
3) We have a big cool down coming through. It might not get past the mid 80's for the next few days.
4) I have a controversial rezoning case that I have been working on that a coworker will inherit. I just spoke with a neighbor who was less than pleased to learn that staff research nullified their argument opposing the rezoning and that the report will come out a week before the meeting. NIMBY Shut Down!
5) Tomorrow is the last day at this job. My office is almost empty of my stuff. I have a coworker who is angry that I am leaving.
6) I am starting to regret giving more than 2 weeks notice.
7) Looking at getting dual monitors for a home computer.
8) The wife has not been sleeping well. I even stayed on the couch last night and she still did not sleep well. I slept like a freaking rock though.
9) One of these days I need to clean the garage/woodshop. The floor is covered in superfine sawdust and the wife is not happy when I track it into the house.
10) Today I saw something horrifying... Pumpkin Spice Cheerios. :victory:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Yes, 10 things is a lot of things to come up with but nothing worthwhile is ever easy, right?
2. Why is that damned train blowing its whistle AFTER it passed through the intersection?
3. Junior's favorite middle school class so far appears to be band
4. He's enjoying a headstart over his classmates because his old man is giving him trumpet lessons
5. I was a trumpet player back in the day. As a freshman I started out as a music major
6. Leisure time is super important because it's really the only time we get to choose what to do
7. The more I get to know my crazy neighbor the less I like him
8. I do NOT feel like doing this staff report today. I may not.
9. This is a long post but the train going by is even longer
10. Phwew, it took quite a bit of effort coming up with 10 things. I hope you all appreciate the fruits of that labor

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The drama quota for the week of November 12-18 has already been met. Please refrain from any further exhibitions until the week of November 19-26. Thank you in advance
2. I heard Mattel is on the financial brink. Will this mean no more Barbie dolls?
3. We're going to make a couple batches of special Xmas cookies in December
4. I used to listen to Pandora primarily at the office, now I listen primarily at home
5. Junior got in trouble yesterday for discarding a cookie and a bunch of candy wrappers behind the sofa
6. I wish it was Friday, but then again I don't think this weekend is actually going to bring much relief
7. Dear Sister, sorry your brother died last week. Now what are you going to do to clean up his property?
8. There is a subgenre of murder mystery known as "cozy mysteries" I gather this includes things like the cat murder mystery books
9. Wonder when we'll get our first actual snow? I saw some ice crystals last week, but usually, we get some flurries this time of year
10. Of all the various permits I review I think sign permits are my least favorite

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. I luv my VOLVO
2. I cant wait to pick up my Volvo from the shop tomorrow
3. I cant wait to change the distributor cap on my Volvo
4. My Volvo has a good strong clutch
5. You can no longer buy a new Volvo wagon with a manual transmission
6. I wouldn't buy a new Volvo, pre 1998 only
7. The window glass on my Volvo says "Sweden '90"
8. I am going to swap a 1987 cassette deck into my Volvo
9. I want an entire fleet of Old Volvo's
10. I think I have a Volvo problem

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. I have a toothache from stress.
2. Warm weather today, sun is mostly shining, snow is melting.
3. Supposed to rain tomorrow.
4. Flood watch for tomorrow.
5. I've gone running twice this week.'
6. My scale must be broken because I have not lost 20lbs from those 2 runs.
7. Nursing school is a bubble.
8. Completely missed the fact that my parents' 50th anniversary is in a few weeks. :-o
9. We were thinking of hosting a Mardi Gras party but may do a 4th of July BBQ instead.
10. It is almost 3p and I am already eyeing the food I brought for dinner.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I want a nice cottage style landscape for my house. But it is harder to put a design together than I thought it would.
2) Sometimes the pain from my sinuses are so bad that I can focus on little else. Only two more weeks until I get into the ENT to see what can be done.
3) Wife decided that getting up earlier than normal to work out is not working for her. I don't blame her. I now do my workouts during my lunch.
4) I decided that I am going to keep fixing current truck and replace it once autonomous vehicles become reality. However, I am going to build a classic truck low rider. Just not sure which one yet. I am thinking many an early 60's Chevy.
5) At some point this particular engineer will understand that what he wants to do with a particular parcel cannot meet our development regulations. However I thought that point would have occurred already.
6) Cleaning my office needs to be a priority at some point. It is not too bad, but it is not where I want it to be.
7) If I did not have meeting this afternoon, I would go home. I am just not feeling it today. Mostly because of my sinuses, but I am also exhausted.
8) I am still acting as a mentor to some people that I supervised at previous jobs. It is humbling to know that they still think highly enough of me to seek my opinion and I just hope that I direct them in a proper direction.
9) What is it that makes the DOT, the Rail Roads, and Major Utilities act like they are untouchable?
10) I had an awesome thread idea the other day... but then I forgot what it was.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. I just got new fuel injectors for my Volvo
2. I am going to replace the rear trailing arms on my Volvo
3. My Volvo runs much better with an oil stablizer added to its 4 quarts of 10w-30 oil. Surprisingly burns very little oil.
4. Clutch is still fine, despite having 135k miles since it's last replacement - still running the original (albeit resurfaced) flywheel.
5. I am excited to start my NEW JOB
6. I am excited to take possession of my new (1981) Mercedes-Benz W123 sedan next week
7. I am going to daily the W123 until my Volvo is back up to Stage 0 condition, or something goes wrong with the Benz.
8. I am going to have to do allot of preventative maintenance to keep the Mercedes running strong, but the OM617 motor is so solid so Im not too worried.
9. The W123 is an automatic, 3 speed slushbox. this is a BIG deal. A W123 is one of the few cars I dont mind owning automatic
10. My parents think I'm INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE for buying an old Benz

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. The days of the week have lost all meaning.
2. I am hungry for lunch.
3. Co-worker was singing tunes from Moana.
4. I inherited her earworm.
5. Stress stinks.
6. Getting old stinks.
7. Being tired stinks.
8. The weather has been nice this summer.
9. I hope it doesn't rain during our camping trip.
10. I hope Itty Bitty can actually enjoy some time at the beach.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) For me, the days of the week have devolved into Workout/No Workout. I am going into the office 7 days a week, they are just not full days.
2) I took a little bit of a gamble yesterday and I am thrilled that I did.
3) Miniskis got braces yesterday. I feel bad for the young man because they are intense, but it will be so worth it later in life. On a related note, I have bought fully operable vehicles for far less money than his 'appliance' cost. Heck, the most expensive 'appliance' we have in the house is in his mouth.
4) Two weeks from right now I anticipate being among roller coasters, a water park, and 3 happy boys.
5) I have a developer trying to convince me that an expired approval does WAY more than I think it really does and will be 'contacting his attorney'
6) There is no fair or Christmas parade this year. Not surprised though.
7) Today is world human trafficking awareness day 2020. The realization that this problem is getting worse and not better is beyond horrific and I really hope that people take a moment to learn more about it, and at a minimum keep and eye out for each other, especially those who are the most vulnerable.
8) I burned the back of my hand over the weekend on the broiler door of the oven and it is still messed up. But then again I was scratched on my right arm by a mean little dog 19 years ago and I can still see the scar.
9) I have to confess that I listen to audio books at 1.25X speed so I can listen to more audio books in a shorter period of time. I tried 1.5 but did not retain as much.
10) I don't know if I want to go out to dinner tomorrow or Saturday.