• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Territorial Imperative and Urban Sprawl

I am known for saying what I like ( a distant cousin of honesty) and I'd like to say that the fight against urban sprawl (in the long term) is probably more important than any other fight we are currently engaged in. Why? Simply because urban sprawl is a benign form of territorial imperative, and we bear witness to this each day in the media all around the world.

Don't want to get too heavy, now. Just a thought.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Interesting thought. From my perspective, the most pressing issue is the decay of our existing urban infrastructure. That may mean a small agricultural town in the Dakotas that is losing its people, the struggling downtown of an otherwise thriving small city like mine, the chronically wasting cities in the northeast, blighted industrial districts in most of our large cities, and urban ghetto neighborhoods. To what extent may these be the cause (or product of) sprawl?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from SW Indiana - that's in the Central Time Zone.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to the jungle. Thats what I would say toa visitor to my huge( and still growing city).
thats for the sprawl debate

Otherwise a big Hi to you from a asian sprawl monger.

H

Cyburbian
Hello, and please elaborate. From what I read, it seems to be a pretty familiar statement. Maybe there is more to it?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome aboard - always glad to have more Canadian content. Good luck with your charettes!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia Claus Andrup!
Hope you have a great time here and stick around! :)

Cardinal said:
Welcome. Interesting thought. From my perspective, the most pressing issue is the decay of our existing urban infrastructure. That may mean a small agricultural town in the Dakotas that is losing its people, the struggling downtown of an otherwise thriving small city like mine, the chronically wasting cities in the northeast, blighted industrial districts in most of our large cities, and urban ghetto neighborhoods. To what extent may these be the cause (or product of) sprawl?
What puzzles me here in British Columbia is that in certain areas (like downtown Vancouver) you can build almost anything and it will be sold out in days sometimes. Where were the buyers before the structures were built - particularly the high-rise condos. It seems that "build it" and indeed "they will come".
If this true, what about the opposite - don't build it and they will leave you alone? By "you" I mean the green and protected areas.

What we need is a lot more infill to protect the green areas. The question seems to be - if we protect the green by building in the innner cities, will people buy in the city-built infill areas before they go for the sprawl developements? I guess it boils down to demo and physco graphics and that ugly word "market".

Claus

[/B][/QUOTE]
Music marks the path of time

Jeff

Cyburbian
Claus Andrup said:
What puzzles me here in British Columbia is that in certain areas (like downtown Vancouver) you can build almost anything and it will be sold out in days sometimes. Where were the buyers before the structures were built - particularly the high-rise condos. It seems that "build it" and indeed "they will come".

Music marks the path of time [/B][/QUOTE]

Only planners dislike huge sprawling developments. The majority of humans really do enjoy them and don't give a rats a$$ about sprawl, the envirnoment, or your comprehensive vision for the community in 2025.

Welcome.