• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Terror Levels, Do you believe it?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Saw this today and I still do not know what to believe due to the numerous times they've raised and lowered the level of this alert system.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/21/threat.level/index.html

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said the move was the result of a "substantial increase" in the volume of intelligence pointing to "near-term attacks that could either rival or exceed what we experienced on September 11."
-All I can say is, if it happens, it happens, lets not hinder our everyday lives by being afraid of the future. I know lets be pro-active rather than reactive, but this system is starting to get out of hand. I don't know, your thoughts.....

The Irish One

I definately believe the government, and I'm content with this system being wrong everytime Tom Ridge hightens the alert. The color scheme is goofy and it would be fine if Ridge got on the horn and did todays work without the color stuff, we'll get the message regardless. I don't think it's out of hand and being proactive is all the government can really do to inform and protect us without blowing their intelligence. Of course you're right, we can't let the fear of terrorism control us.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I pay it zero heed anymore, not that I ever did. Living in the DC area I face more risk on the Beltway.

NEXT!

SGB

Cyburbian
Living, working and commuting in very rural areas has made me pay little attention to enhancing my awareness for anything unusual when the terror level is heightened.

Although I did joke with my wife this morning that I promised to look for anything unusual during my commute like front wheel drive vehicles or pickup trucks without gun racks! ;)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
likewise, I don't pay much attention unless I'm traveling......NH is not a hotspot potential target IMHO.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Did anyone see Katie Couric interviewing Tom Ridge this morning? There's a difference between asking tough, probing questions and just being bitchy.

People like to make fun of the alerts but the point is to alert law enforcement and security to step it up a notch, not just to scare little old ladies. If nothing happens that's a good thing. It doesn't necessarily mean that the Man is out to manipulate you.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I hear the Mounties are going to have one or two more guys on horseback at the border, so I feel pretty safe.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
do you ever just think that they raise the alert for political gain? for example, W #'s arestill basking in Saddam's capture and what better way to keep his number up than to raise the alert and for nothing to happen to say "hey, we were vigillant! we didn't let those terroist sumnabitches get us!" those alerts do not change how i pull up at an emergency even though the guv'ment says that the alerts are for people like emergency responders. it just means that i cannot move freely in some places in L.A., NY

however, i don't believe that we had saddam in a hole for some time just waiting for the right time to "capture" him...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
NHPlanner said:
likewise, I don't pay much attention unless I'm traveling......NH is not a hotspot potential target IMHO.
ditto. I don't think north Idaho is either.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
ditto. I don't think north Idaho is either.
You mean that isn't where all that footage of Osama hiking the hills with his trusty AK47 has been shot? ;-)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Gedunker said:
You mean that isn't where all that footage of Osama hiking the hills with his trusty AK47 has been shot? ;-)
Haven't you seen pictures of Ruby Ridge? Many more trees here than Paki/Afgan boarder region.

The Irish One

do you ever just think that they raise the alert for political gain?
No, if these alerts could have any effect I see it as a negative economy and we all know bad economics makes bad politics, generally speaking. There is no useful reason for any administration to fudge these terror reports, though many may disagree, I honestly believe the one job the US government will try its hardest at is protecting its people.

martini

Cyburbian
I don't put much thought into it either. For the most part, through most of this largely rural country, I think it's used for a political gain, fearm mongering basically.

Geez, am I coming off like a conspiracy theorist? Sorry.

otterpop

Cyburbian
It would have more meaning to me if the news reported on the potential for ice of my back steps.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
It would have more meaning to me if the news reported on the potential for ice of my back steps.
Ice Warning Level raised to High for possibility of ice forming on your back steps;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
Haven't you seen pictures of Ruby Ridge? Many more trees here than Paki/Afgan boarder region.
Of course you're right (I haven't had enough coffee this a.m.)
Osama's footage was shot in New Mexico.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
No, if these alerts could have any effect I see it as a negative economy and we all know bad economics makes bad politics, generally speaking. There is no useful reason for any administration to fudge these terror reports, though many may disagree, I honestly believe the one job the US government will try its hardest at is protecting its people.
I agree, I don't think the govt. would do anything to keep people from Christmas shopping. Good holiday sales stats would help Bush. It makes perfect sense that Al Qaida would target us during our biggest holidays.

9/11 really did happen. Its not just a xenophobic conspiracy about "the other" trying to kill us. Do Bush's critics really want to give his foreign policy that much credit to think that Al Qaida is no longer a threat? We really do need to increase security when we pick up information. What would people say if there was another large terrorist attack and the govt didn't warn anyone after hearing info about an unspecific attack?

The Irish One

What would people say if there was another large terrorist attack and the govt didn't warn anyone after hearing info about an unspecific attack?
Which reminds me why Tom Ridge has the suckiest job in the administration, he basically comes out to give a warning with graphics and hopes he's wrong and in general is perceived as useless. He's not useless, though I think the color chart could go and he could still do his job fine, if not better.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Seabishop: hear, hear! You are dead-on right in both of your posts. TIO, same to you. Thanks for speaking out.

BKM

Cyburbian
My answer-plus a dose of conspiracy theory!

I find the color system goofy (but what do you expect for a sub-literate population that watches 40 hours of television per week (oof. It's Monday. No more bad mood!!1))

Nonetheless, the Islamofascists ARE a threat. I liked the comparison that I read Al Qaeda=Khmer Rouge. The same kind of purist view of history, with a nasty twist of religion thrown in. This is one liberal who doesn't believe that if we just cuddled up to the Arab world everything would be peachy keen.

Do I let the terror alerts govern how I live? Not really. The reality is-further attackes will happen.

I just don't want to see such attacks justify things like Patriot Act II or the power to allow the President or Ashcroft to just decide you are an enemy combatant and have no citizenship rights.

I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies.

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: My answer-plus a dose of conspiracy theory!

BKM said:
I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies.
I also still feel this way.. but wish I didn't.

The Irish One

I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies
So, what stops you?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Queer eye for the straight "high"...

It's the colors... they just aren't hip.

If they used mauve, and puce, and even chartreuse, it would be much more pleasant.

I went and bought a bunch of plastic and duct tape... I know they must be targetting small towns in the Cascade Mountains by now.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Come to think of it... until now, when the Terror Alert is high again, I had never seen anything suspicious about my neighbors building secret labs in their back yards. I guess the U-235 they asked for must be arriving shortly.... I wonder if they're not in violation of any zoning laws :p

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
the warnings do not have an effect b/c as you watch the media, they just show people saying that it does not affect them anbd they are going about thier business as usual. so i disagree with the negative economic impact. besides, this administration has seen worse economic days, so a dip in the dow today won't hurt anyone a la enron.

i wish i had ridge's job: go to work everyday and when you are wrong, you're doing a good job.

the warnning system does need a touch of the fab five. don't be afraid of fur or stripes. basic colors are out for 2004.

The Irish One

so i disagree with the negative economic impact.
I agree with what your saying and hear me out I'm not saying that the warnings are having a negative economic impact, honestly, I just don't know. I'm not even sure if that can be measured?

as you asked earlier
do you ever just think that they raise the alert for political gain?
No, they raise the level for security purposes and in the aftermath of an attack, in a nice way the record can state, we told you so. There is a political dimension to the situation but it's not the motivation for raising the level.

the warnning system does need a touch of the fab five. don't be afraid of fur or stripes. basic colors are out for 2004.
Seriously, the color scheme needs to go.

ludes98

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Seriously, the color scheme needs to go.
Defense Condition (DEFCON) number style? Perhaps a lettering system?

I don't work for law enforcement or as a spook so I just don't consider it important enough unless I am traveling. Not too concerned with local theives knowing what time I leave. They can have the 13 year old TV!!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
Defense Condition (DEFCON) number style? Perhaps a lettering system?
-How about a system named after t.v. shows.

We can have a code "A-Team" or code "Gilligans Island"(lowest level).

BOT- I just think raising and lowering it all the time makes the paraniod more paraniod.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
-How about a system named after t.v. shows.

We can have a code "A-Team" or code "Gilligans Island"(lowest level).
Ok. How about "Friends" or "Bosom Buddies"? Higest levels of alert: "Dragnet" or "Dark Skies."

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
one would think that when the alert is raised and nothing happens, we should have nabbed someone or thwarted something in an active manner...not just deterred a terrorist from doing something.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
GeogPlanner said:
one would think that when the alert is raised and nothing happens, we should have nabbed someone or thwarted something in an active manner...not just deterred a terrorist from doing something.
How do you know that we haven't? I'm no expert, but it would seem that sometimes it might be better not to make it public.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i know...will and grace is prob not the best choice for yellow...but some people are threated by that show...espc christian conservatives...

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
Cyburbia Terror Threat has been set to DRAGNET.
LOL, oh man finally a system I can understand. I see you took me up on the A-team, Gilligans Island theme. Will & Grace is scary;)

boiker

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
Cyburbia Terror Threat has been set to DRAGNET.
by far the most usefull of all the threat gaging systems.

this will make sense to the average tv joe. Look at all the waste in the dept of homeland security. All they needed was a planner.