• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂
  • If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

Tesla in Space

So, apparently there is a Tesla out cruising the solar system. Musk decided to get creative with the test vehicle for his rocket launch and used a Tesla roadster.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Do you think that it is a waste of money or do you think that it has helped market his ideas and gain global interest in space travel?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Of course it's pure marketing. Then again Musk is trying to build a space company, so I guess it's all good.

at some time in the distant future someone is going to find that floating through the solar system and they are going to be completely confused on what it is and why did someone do it. For that reason alone I think it was worth it.

at some time in the distant future someone is going to find that floating through the solar system and they are going to be completely confused on what it is and why did someone do it. For that reason alone I think it was worth it.
Apparently scientists say that the radiation will cause the plastics to break up and the car will fall apart. Although it would be awesome if it didn't.

Planit

Cyburbian
Marketing + Product testing = Coolness

He had to test the Falcon Heavy anyway. This way he tested the rocket could fly, a payload could be delivered in space and 2 of the 3 boosters made it home safely (& it's really cool to see those 2 touchdown in perfect unison next to each other). I like the fact that he has Bowie's "Landing on Mars" playing on a loop in the radio. At least he didn't use an underpaid intern as 'Starman' - James Cordon

Whether it falls apart or stays intact really is of no consequence. But I would like to be the fly on the wall on the bridge of the alien spacecraft finds this thing and says WTF! Stupid humans tried an open air space craft and the guy turned stiff.

Given the way things are going, we made need to have the private sector step up. All the power to him, he had the vision and resources to pull it off.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Going out 4 wheeling in the desert we would occasionally find burnt out cars in the desert. You always wonder how they made it. Especially after you just went over some giant rocks that almost high center a lifted Jeep.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Science often uses weird/fun examples to prove important concepts. People laughed about Texas A&M turning a carrot maroon, for good reason (school color, for the uninitiated). Except that Texas A&M accomplishing that was key in genetic modification of fruits & vegetables and that it resulted in 40% more beta-carotene. This is the same center that created onions that make you cry less and have single centers (for easier use in restaurants and as onion rings).

Musk wanted to show what the rocket could do, and he wanted to do it in a way that maintained headlines for multiple days & would probably pop up in future months & years with updates. In this case, it was how far could this rocket launch and, perhaps more importantly, demonstrating the final stage rocket boost delay for six hours. Using a car captured people's imaginations.

I generally believe Musk is a prick, but it doesn't make him any less of a genius.

I thought I read/heard that they were trying to offload the tesla into a path that would end up orbiting mars, and that that did not happen so now its doing its own thing. Trying to put it in orbit this way seems like a legitimate experiment. More importantly, the lower cost and reusable space launching that was just proven to be feasible is entirely worth it from a scientific perspective. This seems like a very remarkable scientific achievement.