• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Thank you, Australia

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
All too often, we Americans tend to forget about Australia. After all, it's over on the other side of the planet, they don't cause too much commotion, and they're really a lot like us. Well, except that they have good universal health insurance, and they drive on the wrong side of the road, but still ... maybe it can be said that Americans are a lot like Australians.

Anyhow, Australians have historically been steadfast allies of the United States. In almost every recent major military campaign -- Korea, Vietnam, and Gulf War I -- Australians were there side by side with Americans.

Even though we do them the disservice of forgetting about their presence, Australians are true friends. Thank you for being there, mates ... in good times and bad.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll jump on that bandwagon. If met dozens from Oz over the years, and not a single one was mean spirited or dour about aything. Seems to take a lot to get them riled - unless you;re talking sports!

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'll agree 100%. Often we Americans don't consider that, even though we are now capable, we haven't won a major conflict in the 20th century without the aid of the Australians.

I had the chance to meet a lot of Aussies while doing the trek through Europe several years ago and honostly, they were the some of the nicest people I meet on the continent (excluding the UK countryside). They didn't want to argue about politics or tell you what's wrong with your nation. they just wanted to chill-out and drink, heavily. Maybe that's why we got along so well.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm Curious

What is the number of troops Austraila sent? What roles are they performing in the conflict?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: I'm Curious

El Guapo said:
What is the number of troops Austraila sent? What roles are they performing in the conflict?
According to BBC and CNN they have about 2,000 troops along with special forces, navy and air forces (F-18's) involved in the conflict and have been fighting alongside our troops. It's nowhere near the contribution of the UK,who sent in 1/4 of their entire armed forces, buts it's alot more than our Allies on Paper, those who support us but made no real contribution.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The Australians captured a tug filled with mines today. Thank you Australia!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I met some of the Australian troops in GW1. Cheery blokes! Thanks to those down under.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
I met some of the Australian troops in GW1.
And I was just thinking today if we'd call '91 GW1 and this GW2, or if we'd come up with something more descript. After all, wasn't the Iran-Iraq war GW1???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bturk said:

And I was just thinking today if we'd call '91 GW1 and this GW2, or if we'd come up with something more descript. After all, wasn't the Iran-Iraq war GW1???
Wars don't get initials unless the US and UK are involved.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well Chile has also helped the US (not now though, sadly); We declared a War to Japan ... only few days before Japan surrendered :p. Talk about great foreign policy .... Brilliant strategy! Declare a war to a country that surrenders a few days after....
Well as you can see we have brilliant people here in charge of foreign policy....
I actually feel bad because our government didn't support you guys and help you get rid of the tyrant...

Runner

Cyburbian
Yes, I can see it now old Crocodile Dundee talking with some punk Baath party general who's threatening the free world with his army. Next old Dundee says, "You call that a military..., this is a military force" (as he points over to the Marines I MEF). Baath party's eyes get big and he runs away.

USMC; when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

:)

Do you think Dundee could wiggle his fingers and put Chemical Ali asleep?

In all seriousness, the Australians have always been steadfast allies.
Thanks, Australia !!

Last edited: