• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Thank You El Nino!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, BKM, KMateja, PlannerGirl, you're weather might suck so far this year, but SE Wisconsin has to give a big 'ol THANKS to El Nino this year.

Its Dec. 30th and we're enjoying weather in the mid- 50's.

AND MY GRASS IS STILL GREEN!

Weee!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's 5 degrees (celcius) and raining here. The grass is somewhat green, underneath the melting snow.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol im glad someone is warm

i move to DC and they have a near record breaking winter already, snow, ice and temps way below normal but hey its got us out of our draught

PG

Jeff

Cyburbian
Its nice today...maybe 45 degrees.

I hate the cold, snow, ice and everything associated with winter. I guess I've just been too spoiled the past few years.

-3 C (26F) ugh. it seems so much COLDER in Celcius! anyway, we still have all the snow from the christmas blizzard and now we're getting 2" of freezing rain tonight. sigh.

*missing Anderson, SC*

Habanero

Cyburbian
That's in Wisconsin?! Geez, that's what we've got here in AZ- it's 52F and clear. Isn't it great?

Although, I think snow might look interesting, I think it may be like that moon landing- it doesn't really exist. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I love el nino too...

We just got some snow for the first time in almost two months. It is relatively warm and ice free. I remember living in Los Angeles and dreading el nino... now I know it's a good thing if you live in the prairies. yay!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
UPDATE:

It's now January 21, and still NO SNOW
And none in the long range forcast.

It is c-c-c-ccold though. I'll take it. You don't have to shovel cold.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Those of us who are cross country skiiers would take a nice snowfall in Wisconsin.

BKM

Cyburbian
January has actually not been that wet-we are recovering after the rain dumped on us in December. It rained last night and is supposed to be a more substantial storm tomorrow.

The really wierd thing about our weather is geographic variability. I live about 50 miles east of SF (halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco), and the Sacramento Valley is cursed by a horrible high pressure phenomenon called "Tule Fog." We have not seen the sun in probably two weeks! High temperatures in the 40s some days.

You drive toward the coast, though, and it was literally like breaking through a wall 11 miles north of Berkeley. Instead of 45 degreees and sullen, it was sunny, shirtsleeves weather in Berkeley and SF-with temperatures exceeding 70 degrees near the coast.

I much prefer rain and low pressure. Bring on El Nino! It keeps that damn tule fog away!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: UPDATE:

bturk said:
It's now January 21, and still NO SNOW
And none in the long range forcast.

It is c-c-c-ccold though. I'll take it. You don't have to shovel cold.
I had to shovel out of my parking space today, as someone dumped a load of snow from the parking lot in back of my space. Nothin like digging out of someone's lack of foresight at 7:00 a.m. I envy you bturk!

donk

Cyburbian
I'm going to sound like goldilocks,

cold alone is rotten
too much snow is rotten
there is a sweet spot.

enough snow to ski on, but warm enough to be outside = just right.

The other benefit of snow is that it insulates foundations. We don't have much snow and my pipes burst, as noted in the holiday weekend thread.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I hate the cold...

I just had to shell out $900.00 for a treadmill because its too cold to run outside :(

It's really cool though, you can hook it up to the net and download different workouts.

donk

Cyburbian
mike,

you should have gotten a computrainer, unless you already have one. The workouts and spin scan are fun, plus the 3d racing and racing in the peleton are fun too. Only problem is that it is expensive.

Jeff

Cyburbian
One of my buddies has one of them, and is bored with it already. Plus, the only indoor cycling I do (very little) is with my coach for the most part anyway.

I needed the treadmill for a 1/2 marathon I'm trying to win on March 16th.

donk

Cyburbian
I've only borrowed the one from the development centre for a week or so at a time, so i don't find it dull, it helps to pass the time slightly better than TV, but not as good as riding outside.

The Irish One

I wish el nino would kick in down here in San DIego -the other night the temp was down to 43 f. ouch. I can't take this much longer.

Jeff

Cyburbian
ecofem said:
It is 70 here in NE Florida... a little too warm for January.
We'e still not on speaking terms with you Floridians after the whole Tampa Bay Bucaneers incident...

My brother called yesterday to tell me he'd been swimming (in LA) the night before. rat bastard. it was -3F when I went to work this morning.

and i wish we had a treadmill. but i guess that's why i pay for the gym, so i was good and went every day over the holiday because it is just too G-D cold outside to even walk the dogs. god bless our fenced in backyard. even they don't want to be out for long.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I guess we're not really Floridians in "these here parts"... we're more like South Georgians.

Plus... no allegiances here to the Bucs. Only the 'Noles...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
We got snow last week, so this week I'm out "reminding" people to shovel. Peoples taxes would be lower if they would shovel their walks and mow their damn yards without being told. I swear there is no one over 12 in this town.....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
January has actually not been that wet-we are recovering after the rain dumped on us in December. It rained last night and is supposed to be a more substantial storm tomorrow.

The really wierd thing about our weather is geographic variability. I live about 50 miles east of SF (halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco), and the Sacramento Valley is cursed by a horrible high pressure phenomenon called "Tule Fog." We have not seen the sun in probably two weeks! High temperatures in the 40s some days.

You drive toward the coast, though, and it was literally like breaking through a wall 11 miles north of Berkeley. Instead of 45 degreees and sullen, it was sunny, shirtsleeves weather in Berkeley and SF-with temperatures exceeding 70 degrees near the coast.

I much prefer rain and low pressure. Bring on El Nino! It keeps that damn tule fog away!
Well, dude, I hope its going to be nice in the Napa Valley, 'cause I'll be coming in Thursday morning.

Jeff

Cyburbian
ecofem said:

Plus... no allegiances here to the Bucs. Only the 'Noles...
Here I go again, getting ready for the jokes, but....

Seminole County has cool firetrucks!!!

They're fluorescent Orange.

donk

Cyburbian
you'd probably really like teh fire trucks at the volunteer fire department near my parents.

They have a 45 duece and a half (2 1/2 tonne), army truck that has a home made water reservoir on it and will drive through or over just about anything. It is hand / brush painted red.

And they have a 56 pumper, all the new guys have to polish the chrome and keep it clean.

They also have a ford econoline van from the 70's that does not always make it to the fire because it does not run well.

The longest time in history is from making the 911 call that you are having a fire and the length of time it takes for the truck to get to your house.