• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Thank you, Jon Stewart

Where do Cyburbanites get their news?

• Network News Broadcasts

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Cable News

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internet

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Newspaper

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Daily Show/SNL

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
I don't know if you guys saw this , but I was a little shamefaced to realize The Daily Show is my second source of news, after the morning paper. But Damn, I love Rob Cordery!

Floridays

Cyburbian
Total news junkie here! I watch it on TV while getting ready for work, log onto cnn.com (and other sites) during the day, and read my newspaper (Sun Sentinal) at night when I get home. :-}

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I get my news from NPR during the morning and evening commutes.

Bangorian

You left out NPR/ BBC, which I'd suspect many of the "Other" votes go for. That's my primary source of balanced, fair coverage.

Though I do watch FOX News when I can, just for a good laugh :-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
Another news junkie, I watch local news and then the Today Show while getting ready and another local news station before bed.

The only thing I do not like about local news is they report on the most idiotic things, like stupid parents "only losing track of their one year old for 10 minutes to find them drowning" (we have a very high number of drownings every year but parents still don't make sure their kids are safe around water) or a woman who decided it would be cheaper to rent a smaller car than pay for gas in her SUV- ever heard of trading your SUV in for a smaller car? Yeah, that was a brilliant idea. :-c

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I love watching the news and listening to it on the radio (NPR) as well. I usually like to get my dose of the Today Show as I am getting ready and then I must watch Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw in the evening (they are on back to back here). I also like to go to the Washington Post website. The weather is the only local news I really look for on the local news.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I like the daily show, but I can't understand how it could be so funny to someone who didn't know the actual news story.

The Irish One

The Papers
San Diego Union
LA Times Sunday Edition

Internet
New york Times
Washington Post
Washington times

Television
CSPAN
CSPAN2
No network loyalty but I watch occasionally, the nightly network news or cable debate show.

Radio
NPR sometimes but rarely.

Magazines
Newsweek occasionally

BKM

Cyburbian
Mostly newspapers and commie blogs :).

Newspapers:

San Francisco Chronicle (bleh-but good comics and regional coverage)
Vacaville Reporter (ok, for local news)
Fairfield Daily Republic (awful, but again for local news)
New York Times (expensive, but still interesting newspaper)
Wall Street Journal (a great newspaper if you ignore the Opinion page)

I don't read every one of these papers every day

Blogs:

Daily KOS
This Modern World
Ted Rall (absolutely over the top-the American Spectator of the left, but entertaining)
Tom Paine.com

otterpop

Cyburbian
I love the Daily Show. I watch the NBC Evening News most days and check the news on the internet. The Daily Show is my favorite news source. Occasionaly the interview in the middle of the show is much better than anything you hear from the networks. Stewart and his cohorts make the show great. So much better than when lame-ass Craig Kilborn was on the show.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm a big fan of the Daily Show and try to watch it every night before going to bed. John Stewart is doing a show here in Pittsburgh in April that, as I was informed yesterday, I will not be able to attened because of a wedding shower. When I asked why would I need to be there the reply was, "To carry things home of course" Doh... :p

Most of my news info comes from the internet these days. During the day I'll check BBC news, Cnn.com, as well as the hometown and and the regional papers from back home in SC... all online.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I will not be able to attened because of a wedding shower. When I asked why would I need to be there the reply was, "To carry things home of course" Doh... :p
I feel your pain, I'm being dragged to a baby shower. When I said, guys don't go to a baby shower, she told me the guys would be hanging out together. What BS. I think I might just disapear one of these days.

OT: internet, paper and local tv, and the Simpsons;)

Last edited:

plankton

Cyburbian
My preferred news sources:

Democracy Now! on Free Speech TV (station 9415 on the Dish Network satellite). If you haven't ever tuned into FSTV, do yourself a favor & check it out - nothing else like it on the tube (except maybe Word Link TV (Ch. 9410)).

The Daily Show is undoubtedly one the most informative (and freakin' hilarious) news programs on the air.

my local daily newspaper

NPR & Oregon Pub Broadcasting

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I feel your pain, I'm being dragged to a baby shower. When I said, guys don't go to a baby shower, she told me the guys would be hanging out together. What BS. I think I might just disapear one of these days.
[OT]Wow, that's pretty harsh. At very least I'm getting things out of this shower (If you count china and housewares as getting things you want . ;-) ), and I suppose I should be there to thank people. Perhaps I'm being an unenlightened male pig here but why would a guy go to a baby shower unless it was for his kid... this isn't for Lil' Rumpy now is it? I mean, would the girls even want him there?[/OT]

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
[OT]Perhaps I'm being an unenlightened male pig here but why would a guy go to a baby shower unless it was for his kid... this isn't for Lil' Rumpy now is it? I mean, would the girls even want him there?[/OT]
Nooooooo way, no lil' rumpster:-c . The guys aren't going to the shower, we'll probally get stuck in some hotel lobby or dungeon. There goes the weekend.....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Maybe the guys could get together and hire a stripper. Isn't that what goes on at showers? Think of it. Not only do you get to enjoy the shower, but you will never be invited to another one.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WOW... I read the first post, and then I skiped to the last one... what do strippers have to do with the news, or John Stwart, oh wait.. never mind.

I have free (aka limmited) cable that is included in with my cable for rent... I get the following channels. (I would also like to mention that I love what I do get)
CBS
ABC
NBC
FOX
USA
TBS
ESPN
CNN
PBS
HBO
CNN
WGN (out of Chicago)

I call it my hotel cable plan.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Combination of the following
Newspaper - local paper & Louisville Courier-Journal, Sunday NY Times
Radio - NPR in car & at home
TV - local and network
Internet - use http://newslink.org/
access to almost every newspaper & tv station ever.

martini

Cyburbian
Mostly NPR, some newspaper and some TV. Lots of lefty magazines though too(but they are awefully biased, imagine that!)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I get my news from NPR, the local news channels, and various newspapers that I enjoy browsing online.

I am a HUGE fan of the Daily Show. My husband and I like to watch it during dinner (the previous night's show is on Comedy Central at 7 pm). Jon Stewart has some interesting guests, not just the usual celebrities hawking their latest movie. Did you see when he interviewed Howard Dean? That was hilarious!!! And I love Stephen Colbert.

Jon Stewart is also a great antidote to the NBC Nightly News - known in my household as the Nightly Terror Report.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
NPR, nytimes.com, and the local paper for weather and local issues, and guardian.co.uk to help balance everything else out ;-)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Used to be the internet, but now only national TV news, since internet access has become quite limited for me... :(

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm also a big Jon Stewart fan. I think it's my favorite cable show. In his own words, he's the top fake newsman.

I'm also in the NYTimes, Washington Post and NPR crowd. I do watch CNN a lot and even Fox News (to hear how the enemy thinks). :)

Jon Stewart

and now for your moment of zen . . .
Jon does not put on fake aires of importance and he is damn funny!
Kudos to Jon and his staff.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
The Daily Show on the comedy channel at 7:00 pm is the only news you need!!!!!

Trail Nazi said:
I love watching the news and listening to it on the radio (NPR) as well. I usually like to get my dose of the Today Show as I am getting ready and then I must watch Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw in the evening (they are on back to back here). I also like to go to the Washington Post website. The weather is the only local news I really look for on the local news.