• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Question: If you were at a dear friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner with all of her/his family and other friends there and you found a dead bug on your plate, what would you say and/or do?

What's up?

donk

Cyburbian
Depends on how big and the type bug and if it was mixed into the food.

More than likely nothing, just eat around it or avoid the food that it was cooked into.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'd be disgusted... I'd try to avoid making the ambient to umpleasant, but I'd surely make a remark about the situation....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hehe well depending on how friendly i was with them and their humor level-ask if they killed their pet

in other nations they are good eats so just avoid it and keep going.

god knows there is dog hair in most of my stuff now matter how much i clean...beagles!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Is this a fun hypothetical question or are you speaking from experience? Does Planderella need to do a little more cleaning in the kitchen? ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Might discreetly hide it under the mashed potatoes. If it was intact, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if it had been cooked. If it was a partial bug, or still scurrying around the place, I might offer to order a pizza....This is why I always bring our dogs to family gatherings. One of them is nicknamed Hoover for a good reason.

Why do you ask??

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
set it aside, casually, wrap it in a napkin or something, and after everyone has eaten, gently mention it to your dear friend. Whether you continue to eat or not is up to you. Just be careful not to make a scene about it becasue I'm sure your friend will be very embarassed.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am very picky about the bugs I will eat. If it were simply a fly or a mosquito that flew in and landed on the food, no big deal. If I found a cockroach in the gravy, I guess I'd have to say something. Would you let eveyone else keep eating, knowing the problem?

H

Cyburbian
What if it was a large cockroach?
Otra vez. Usted dices nada de la cucaracha, mi amigo. :)

*Sorry. I am in a fun with Spanish mood. Pardon me.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Is this the main course or dessert? If it were dipped in chocolate, it might be intentional. Mmmm, chocolate ants.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have a phobia about roaches (great trait for living in Florida, huh?). I don't think I would have to actually SAY anything, the screaming and backpedaling from the table would probably alert everyone there...

At the very least, I would put down my fork and pronounce myself too full to eat another bite.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I would probably just eat around the bug, or hide it under some type of food and push it off into the corner.

Now if you said there was an unidentified hair in the food, that would be worse. I hate finding hair in my food... grosses me out.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It depends how well I know the host and their family/friends. It'd be pretty hard for me not to say something if it was a big bug, but otherwise I'd probably just move it aside and keep eating.

biscuit said:
Is this a fun hypothetical question or are you speaking from experience? Does Planderella need to do a little more cleaning in the kitchen? ;)
I'm a great cook but absolutely HATE to clean.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Just a hypothetical question to test your bug-handling skills.

Planderella is a GREAT COOK and she doesn't have to do anything that she doesn't want to! Thus, to borrow from Run DMC: "It's like that and that's the way it is!"