• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

That drinkin' quiz got me thinking-

Habanero

Cyburbian
I don't typically drink white wine, I don't like the kinds I've had- they taste too much like apple juice. Does anyone have suggestions of white wine I should try since I'd like to branch out (read: drink more at Thanksgiving) from my regular reds?

plannerkat

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
I don't typically drink white wine, I don't like the kinds I've had- they taste too much like apple juice. Does anyone have suggestions of white wine I should try since I'd like to branch out (read: drink more at Thanksgiving) from my regular reds?
Sauvignon Blancs are always nice; they tend to be very crispy and more acidic than sweet. A "white burgundy" such as a Pouilly-Fuisse is also good for red drinkers as it is quite flavorful and a bit heavier than most whites, but without being sweet. Louis Jadot makes a respectable one that runs $15-20 a bottle, depending on where you are. My advice is to go to a respectable wine store or a liquor store with a good staff and ask questions. A hint: this type of shop should not have the world's best selection of Boone's Farm, but also should not suffer from "snooty wine store" syndrome. Tell them what you like and don't like and the staff should be able to steer you towards something good. Good luck!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Everyone in my family always drinks Luna di Luna, I think that's a Pinot Grigio though...

My white wine of choice has always been Thunderbird...you don't get much better quality.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't know much about wine... but I tend to like Gewurztraminer, Riesling, and Pinot Grigio. But then I like the light flavored, dry varieties. I typically don't like the Chardonnay type wines. I had a really great glass of wine at a restaurant a few months ago... I'll have to ask my friend who pays attention to that stuff to figure out what it was.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I do not usually drink white wine but I got some white table wine in the 2 for 6 bucks bin at my local liqour store and it was surprisingly good (way better than the price would suggest). It was not very sweet, which is why I probably liked it.

Next time I am in there (hmmm maybe this will give me an excuse to restock my beer supply) I will check out the name.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have always enjoyed reislings. The best come from Germany, of course, and I prefer those from the Mosel-Saar-Ruhr region.

You might also consider a Vouvray. It is still a chardonney grape, but somewhat different flavor due to the soils of the region.

dbarch

Cyburbian
For a book that tries to de-mystify wine tastes, names and categories, try "Oz Clarke's Introducing Wine". It describes wines in one of about 15 broad categories, and then tells which grape varieties from which regions fit into each category. It is also very helpful in matching food to those categories.

nerudite

Cyburbian
To demonstrate the crappy memory I have for wines... the wine I loved a few months ago was actually a red wine (maybe I had a little too much to remember what it was I was drinking ;) )...

Anyway... I thought it was a white because I asked the wine steward for something to go with turkey, and he went with a Montepulciano red. It was great... so maybe if you don't want to veer from your red wine preference, this may work too.