• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The 101 Dumbest Moments in Planning - 2003

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think it's a bit early - their are still almost 11 months of the year to really screw up.

Worst Planning Mistake of 2004 Prediction:

The APA, following on from it's successful collaboration with China, attempts a similar program with North Korea. DPRK leadership seize visiting American planning delegation, brainwash them, and return them to the USA where they immediately start a campaign to allow "re-education" camps as an as-of-right use across the nation.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
DPRK leadership seize visiting American planning delegation, brainwash them, and return them to the USA where they immediately start a campaign to allow "re-education" camps as an as-of-right use across the nation.
You do why Bush is so eager to get back to the moon, don't you?

As for the dumbest planning moments in 2003, I'll go for the convoluted subdivision in Fairfax County, Virginia.

From the Washington Post:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Dan said:
As for the dumbest planning moments in 2003, I'll go for the convoluted subdivision in Fairfax County, Virginia.

From the Washington Post:

Ditto to that! That has to be one of the dumbest moments in planning history!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Not only in 2003, but at any time...any Wal-Mart conceptual development plan. Need I say more? ;-)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
:-#

My vote goes for the Michigan "Cool Cities" Initiative.

Thank you Governor Granholm.

Ugh.

www.michigancoolcities.com
Personally I think this whole cool cities thing is a good idea to keep or draw young professionals into the urban core. Just think if the idea picks up we can rename Kalamazoo to Coolamazoo.

How 's that for catchy. ;-) :-#

Last edited:

tsc

Cyburbian
cool cities is pretty corny..... kinda like Nancy Reagans, "Just say no"

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Michigan should have called it Dope Cities.

What about the Cleveland suburb on 60 Minutes that designated any house without central air and with less than 3 bedrooms "blighted" in order to raze the neighborhood and build lakefront condos?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The elimination of Prudence's planning position as a "buget cut" when elimination of less senior and less important / less senior planner positons would have saved more net tax dollars. Of course, this was done without any consultation from the management team, and thus without all of the facts of the matter to realize this.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
PlannerByDay said:
...we can rename Kalamazoo to Coolamazoo.
I like that. Yes, quite catchy.

I vote for the I-Pass only lane construction in the middle of the eastbound tollbooths at the O'Hare toll on I-90. I know this is very specific to my wicked, horrible commute, but it is just asking for some retarded drivers to speed through the toll and wack into other drivers. Very few people know how to merge correctly. |-) I had a bad commute with a bunch of crazy drivers today!

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
:-\

DecaturHawk said:
These are the hip, cool, young people that they this goofy initiative is trying to attract?
Ironic { moronic } isn't it?

I have some former planning clasmmates who attended the Creating Cool Conference and they thought the whole affair was ridiculous. Granholm & Co. handed out those horrid neon "Risky Business" style shades to all the conference attendees.

Seabishop should be Michigan's Dope Cities Czar. That sounds SO much better than cool cities.

Imagine handing these out to my fellow Michiganders:

Now that's FLICKING cool!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
:-\
Ironic { moronic } isn't it?
..the whole affair was ridiculous. Granholm & Co. handed out those horrid neon "Risky Business" style shades to all the conference attendees.
Argh. I'm kinda glad I left Michigan. That is lame, but not suprising.

At least here in Illinois(Chicago in particular), we just have backroom political dealings with the guise of liberalism. :p