• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Places The '50 Best' U.S. places to travel in 2021

12/18/2020

TRAVEL & LEISURE — U.S. choices:
'The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2021'
"When the time comes to travel again, these destinations — all right in your own backyard
— are the ones to visit next."

• Does Travel & Leisure know that Maine, New Hampshire, most of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Long Island are still part of the U.S.?
  • Do they think that if they list D.C. as #48, they can ignore Maryland, Northern Virgina, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania?
  • Do they think that 4 out of 5 boroughs have seceded from New York City and the remaining borough, Manhattan, is only worth visiting if you stay at the most expensive hotels?
  • Why is Galena the absolute best place to visit in Illinois?
  • Why do they think that Sea Islands are the only parts of Georgia & South Carolina worth visiting?
  • Finally... Isn't there any place worth visiting in Michigan, Wisconsin, or Iowa?

But enough of my personal commentary...
What do other people think of Travel & Leisure's Top 50?

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Buffalo, Birmingham, Burlington, Indianapolis, Kansas City and my current home of Fort Worth.... interesting. We spent a day in Birmingham on a road trip, I would be interested in seeing more. It did not exist as a city prior to the Civil War so doesn't have a heritage of institutional slavery, but did (and does) still have institutional racism. Perhaps because of their recency as a city though, they seem willing to take it on.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm just going say glad they left Arizona mostly out of the list. Everyone go to Tucson. Yep, ignore the greatness of northern Arizona with the hiking, fishing and what not. Ignore the good eats in Flagstaff or the fun of Jerome. Go to Tucson. Sit in a desert resort and relax because there really isn't a lot more to do down there.

DVD

Cyburbian
When I grew up here in the '80s Sedona was a beautiful place, still is, where we would go for a nice brunch and enjoy some interesting local artists. Today it's become very commercialized, there are too many tourists. It's not the quiet little artist town it used to be. I would still go see the red rocks if you haven't seen it before. All the cool artists have moved to Bisbee though.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Stay out of Utah...we have 10 feet of snow year-round or 125 degrees in desert. Really awful place to live. Nothing good here...move on.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There is not a single thing worth seeing in Michigan. Just ask dandy.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm just going say glad they left Arizona mostly out of the list. Everyone go to Tucson. Yep, ignore the greatness of northern Arizona with the hiking, fishing and what not. Ignore the good eats in Flagstaff or the fun of Jerome. Go to Tucson. Sit in a desert resort and relax because there really isn't a lot more to do down there.
Haven't you heard the country song "There is no Arizona"?

There is no Arizona
No painted desert, no Sedona
If there was a Grand Canyon
She could fill it up with the lies he's told her
But they don't exist, those dreams he sold her
She'll wake up and find
There is no Arizona

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
When I grew up here in the '80s Sedona was a beautiful place, still is, where we would go for a nice brunch and enjoy some interesting local artists. Today it's become very commercialized, there are too many tourists. It's not the quiet little artist town it used to be. I would still go see the red rocks if you haven't seen it before. All the cool artists have moved to Bisbee though.
Sounds like a visit-worthy city still...