• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Amish Sim City Challenge

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Over the last century or so we have had a number notable planners (and architects) theorize on the urban form. Howard gave us the Garden City at the turn of the Century. Wright followed a generation later with Broadacre City. He was followed by Le Corbusier with the Radiant City. They all had the advantage of getting to lay out a city on a blank sheet of paper. It is quite a different thing on real ground. I began to wonder how the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia ™ might lay out a city.

Here’s the challenge. I will post a map of four square miles of terrain, including topography, land cover, hydrology and wetlands, important habitat, and some existing transportation corridors. Within that four acres, plan a city for 5000 people, including residences, industry, commerce, public buildings, schools, and anything else you want to include as important to your idea of what a city should be. Whether it is a stand-alone city or a new neighborhood connected to a city off-map is your choice. Post the results and lets comment.

This may not be all that appealing to some of us who do this kind of planning on a regular basis, but others might find it very interesting. If nothing else, it would be an interesting thread to just discuss the different model cities.

Broadacre City

Radiant City

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sounds like a great idea! :) You can count on me! (at least I'll try to do something ;))

I've drawn maps of cities before.. but mainly the roads, so a legend for us noobs in mapping would also be nice :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian

Here's the map. It is four square miles on the shores of Lake Habanero. The grid is the standard PLSS - 1320 fee on a side. Green is forested, otherwise assume open land. The black line is I-666. The red line is the El Guapo Central Railroad. There are a couple wetlands and a couple prime wildlife areas. Assume the contour elevations are 20 foot intervals.

Last edited:

jordanb

Cyburbian
I find it amusing that all of those ideas from great architects (at least Wright was) are now understood to be horrible ways to build cities.

Also, that planned cities like Washington and Canberra continue to have problems due to their design.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
One slight detail that could help a bit: the scale of the map. :p
Apparently each square of the map is one fourth of a mile, right?

Rem

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Also, that planned cities like Washington and Canberra continue to have problems due to their design.
All Cities have problems but in fact Canberra offers some wonderful lifestyles - especially for the bus, bicycle, walking, art, garden, sport, learning, fiends we find on Cyburbia. Its biggest problem is its relative climate (most Australians prefer the coast), the seasonal nature of its vibrancy (linked to parliament sitting), and it's full of public servants (sorry public servants).

JNL

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I began to wonder how the Throbbing Brian of Cyburbia ™ might lay out a city.
Who is this "Throbbing Brian" you speak of? :)

Rem

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The Amish Sim City Challenge

JNL said:
There is a new euphamism born every day on Cyburbia. Over to Chet to decide what a throbbing Brian is.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: The Amish Sim City Challenge

Rem said:
There is a new euphamism born every day on Cyburbia. Over to Chet to decide what a throbbing Brian is.
UMMMM is this a set up Rem? If so, thanks! :)

I am the throbbing Brian of Cyburbia.

The throbbing brain of cyburbia is the collective intelligence of its members.

HEE! I got to say throbbing and member in the same post. Damn. If only I could have working in turgid. Oh wait...I just did!

:)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The Amish Sim City Challenge

JNL said:
Eeek! Corrected.

BTW, there is a higher-resolution image in the gallery.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: The Amish Sim City Challenge

Cardinal said:
Eeek! Corrected.

BTW, there is a higher-resolution image in the gallery.
WAAAY too late my cheese loving friend. REM has set and I have spiked.

About this thread - I would love to if I had time. As it is I am popping in and out of here, mostly from home now since work when in the shitter a few days agoa and doesnt look good for years.

And for the record, the Throbbing Brian of Cyburbia has never laid an entire city. Although I tried in New Orleans earlieer this year....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Thanks for the higher res. map, it's way better to work with high res and then shrink it (a nice way to hide the imperfections :p)

I've already laid out some streets and I'll see how well I can do it with The Gimp. For giff's displeasure I have a nice big box/mall planned into it ;) Along with a nice bunch of Mc Mansions. I barely left any trees mwahahahahaha (but I left the wetlands).
I'm a bit out of ideas on city services... besides a library, a school (2) what else could I put in?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SkeLeton said:

For giff's displeasure I have a nice big box/mall planned into it ;)
H'mmm people seem to be confusing my opinion on Walmart. I don't hate Walmart....I don't love Walmart.... I just wish people would quit bitching about them.....

Rem

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
H'mmm people seem to be confusing my opinion on Walmart. I don't hate Walmart....I don't love Walmart.... I just wish people would quit bitching about them.....
Did someone mention Walmart? ...

Oh it was only giff57. That guy is always talking about Walmart. Walmart, Walmart, Walmart.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
I'm a bit out of ideas on city services... besides a library, a school (2) what else could I put in?
City Hall, Palace of the Department of Planning, police and fire station, senior center, community building, YMCA, churches, and the like.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
bwahahahaha good (joke) one Dan! Excellent planning :)
Mine still has a bit of work to do... but I guess I'll finish it next week...

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Rem said:
All Cities have problems but in fact Canberra offers some wonderful lifestyles - especially for the bus, bicycle, walking, art, garden, sport, learning, fiends we find on Cyburbia. Its biggest problem is its relative climate (most Australians prefer the coast), the seasonal nature of its vibrancy (linked to parliament sitting), and it's full of public servants (sorry public servants).
Thanks, Rem, for pointing that out. Australians have a much greater knowledge and appreciation of the grand planning and architectural work of Walter Burley Griffin than Americans do. Griffin labored under Wright's shadow, but in many ways eclipsed the Master. If he hadn't moved to Australia, he might have been better known here. He was also married to and influenced by the most talented female architect ever, Marion Mahoney Griffin, who, if she had lived in our more enlightened times, might have been considered one of our greatest architects period, male or female.

stella_c

thanks

I've searched figures of broadacre city in the web for my dissertation. and thanks to Cardinal for posting so clearly a figure :)