• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Angry Postman

SGB

Cyburbian
As inspired by
steveanne
Somewhere, there is an angry postal worker trying to track me down. And he's got a bag full of credit card applications with him.
Ok, so we seem like a fairly mobile bunch. How many times have you moved as an adult (post highschool or undergrad college)?

[Edit: Sorry, Skel!]

For me, 18 moves in the last 14 years. (It's a very long story.)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Eight moves since high school. Lived in the same house the first 18 years of my life.

biscuit

Cyburbian
12 moves in the eight years since high school. Seven of those were during undergrad years.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
10 moves in 12 years since leaving my parents house for college. Most of them were within a 1 mile radius of each other.

I just got done with what I hope to be my final move prior to purchasing a house.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
SGB said:
[Edit: Sorry, Skel!]
Huh?
Why sorry? 'cause I have no credit card? 'cause I just got out of HS last year? 'cause I haven't moved as much? (althought I like traveling a lot :))

Anyways... I hate my postman...mabye I'll go postal on his a$$ :p

JNL

Cyburbian
11 times in my life - comparatively few compared to you lot!

nerudite

Cyburbian
The upcoming move in a week and a half will be the 16th residence I've lived in since moving out of my parents' place in 1987 to go to University. I'm hoping this will be the last one for a long time though...

I had to do the exercise of tracking down every address I have lived at since I was 18, in order to apply for permanent residency up here. It took the better part of three months to find all the addresses, as many of the management companies I rented from were closed now.

Univ. of California Davis 3/88 to 6/88
Los Angeles, California 6/88 to 9/88
Davis, California 9/88 to 9/89
Davis, California 9/89 to 9/90
Sacramento, California 9/90 to 9/91
Sacramento, California 9/91 to 9/92
Sacramento, California 9/92 to 12/92
Davis, California 12/92 to 7/93
Davis, California 7/93 to 7/94
Sacramento, California 7/94 to 10/94
Woodland, California 10/94 to 9/95
Oak Harbor, WA 9/95 to 5/98
Portland, OR 5/98 to 1/00
Vancouver, WA 1/00 to 12/01
Edmonton, AB 12/01 to present

Surprisingly, I have only held down four planning jobs from 1989 to now. I just move a lot I guess.

donk

Cyburbian
Since graduating from university, 3 moves in 8 years.
During university 3 moves (dorm, house, house)
Before university, same place for 8 years, then a tonne of moves(10-15 in 12 years) before finally settling.

H

Cyburbian
If we are counting addresses (not cities), I have moved 5 times since undergrad. That would be 5 times in the last 5 years. So; every year.

I am about to move for the 6th.

*I also moved every year of undergrad, so in a sence I have moved every year since high school. :-S

**though I lived in the same house my entire childhood. :) and mom still lives there. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Don't remember the dates very well, but my migratory pattern is as follows:

1. Fort Wayne, Indiana 0-18

2. 3. Peoria, Illinois 18-20? (Bradley University Dorm, then nerdish Fraternity house)

4. 5. Chicago, Illinois (summer internship)-two apartments (the one was located on an active stroll (The Kenmore/Wintrhup Corridor) and featured the smell of gas :( )

6. Peoria, Illinois

7. Fort Wayne, Indiana (post-engineering failure :) )

8. Charlottesville, VA

10. Clearwater, Florida (summer internship for Pinellas County)

11. Charlottesville, VA

12. 13. Knoxville, TN (two years-two addresses)

14. 15. Fairfield, CA (two differnet apartments in the same complex)

16. Vacaville, CA (for the last seven years.)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus

Since leaving the parental nest:

7 residences in 5 years in Oshkosh (college, undergrad)
3 residences in 3 years in Kaukauna (first job and grad school)
1 residence in Hartford
1 residence in a teeny burg south of Fond du Lac
2 residences in Milwaukee
1 in St Francis
1 in Oak Creek

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Twenty-two

2 in Philly
3 in Arkansas
2 in New Orleans
2 more in Philly
2 in SW Washington State
6 more in Arkansas
2 in SW Missouri
3 here in Oregon
---

22 (And I'm not counting temp living of a month or so...)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Nine since high school: dorm, dorm, apt., apt., rented house, townhouse, house, Mom's house (during divorce), house.

Habanero

Cyburbian
8 times since high school, I hate moving, and i really hate moving since the last time I moved the forward mail request was never actually put into place and my old psycho roomate held my mail for ransom.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
14 times since High school, but for the last three, I have inhabited the original home 5 days out of 7 so I get the fun of being home pluss the fun of being in a BIG Urban area! :)

steveanne

Hilarious. Now I don't feel so paranoid. He's apparently lost somewhere in downstate Illinois with a confused look on his face wondering which way to go.

I'm gonna try and break it down a little more.
Since highschool:

1994 - Greece, NY (super-suburb of Rochester, NY)
1994 - 1995 - Dorm, Edinboro PA (south of Erie)
1995 - 1998 - apartment, Edinboro PA
1998 - 1999 - half a house, Rochester, NY
1999 - 2000 - studio apt., Clermont, FL (west of Ei$ner's Place)
2000 - 2002 - apartment, Lake Buena Vista, FL
2002 - apartment, Arlington Heights, IL
2002 - 2003 - house, Des Plaines, IL

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar

I've never left home. Would you like to see my collection of Seka and Johnny Holmes videotapes?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar

Hi neighbor. You look new around here. I'm lonely. Would you like to come to my place?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
LMAO

Now I've only moved from Valdivia when I went to the US, and have moved a few times inside Valdivia. So I'm not that mobile... but that's because my parents work at the University.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
New Jersey,
Utah - 4 times,
Michigan,
Texas,
Colorado - 2 times,
Indiana

with 3 types of addresses
1 - Street
2 - Po Box
3 - None (on the road/general delivery)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
ten times since 1993, all within the same state. and now all of my stuff fits into a cargo van and a vw.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Since high school, I have moved (counting all of the times in between school breaks where you have to vacate the dorms) 12 times. I think that every time that I move, I will clean up and get rid of a ton of stuff, but I think that the junk must have reproducing capabilities because I still have a ton of crap. Now, I have a ton more just for the baby. I don’t even collect anything but dustbunnies. Where does this stuff come from?