• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The annual event

Who is attending Burning Man?

• Wouldn't miss it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll pass this year

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I'll be there in spirit

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There in spirit. I've attended Burning Man-like events when I lived in New Mexico many moons ago.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
i have heard much about Burning Man but have yet to make the Trek. I heard about it from my dad, believe it or not. He wanted to go one year with some of his friends.... It sounds like alot of fun!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It does sound like fun -- and something to plan very last minute to enhance the WTF factor of it all.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Channeling Ashcroft

Zero desire to attend, well maybe as a cop raiding the place and locking all the free spirits up for the good of society. Alternatively, we could surround it with concertina wire and make a little GitMo.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I assume that was directed my way.

Planderella: Humor - my own house brand of course. I was joking. I just would not feel too comfortable there at BM. Too much visible gentailia.

Sorry EG - my WTF was directed at the Burning Man. I briefly skimmed the website and am still not sure what it's about.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm with you planderella.

it seems like an excuse to go into the desert, walk around naked and pretend to be artistic when you eat lots of peyote and smoke herbs.

on the lighter side, i can't believe there is a piece of land in the appropriate zone to accomodate that many people and uses.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
I've never been to Burning Man, but I've been to a couple of Rainbow Gatherings. Not as well known, but just as weird - in a time warp to the 60s kind of way.

The first one I went to, I spent a lot of time talking to people, trying to figure out where this strange subculture of folks comes from, and what they do the rest of the year. I met this nice looking, clean cut couple (short hair, clean clothes, no bizare mannerisms...) and had a reasonable conversation with them. They were telling me about an event that they are involved with in Wisconsin or Minnesota that hasn't been too successful. They complained about the local community and the cops not being supportive of their music festival. Up 'til now they had seemed like pretty normal, rational folks. When I asked them what the festival's name was, they responded "Weedstock". They couldn't figure out why it wasn't being well received by the local law enforcement agencies.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Bullwinkle said:
[I met this nice looking, clean cut couple (short hair, clean clothes, no bizare mannerisms...) and had a reasonable conversation with them. They were telling me about an event that they are involved with in Wisconsin or Minnesota that hasn't been too successful. They complained about the local community and the cops not being supportive of their music festival. Up 'til now they had seemed like pretty normal, rational folks. When I asked them what the festival's name was, they responded "Weedstock". They couldn't figure out why it wasn't being well received by the local law enforcement agencies. [/B]
Weedstock is an annual event that EG would enjoy. A bunch of wanna-be hippies and druggies advetise that they will get together at a farm to do drugs, and the police come to arrest them.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
My husband wants to go to Burning Man. I would much rather go to Fantasy Fest in the Keys.