• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The annual Thanksgiving dinner thread 2019

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think we are going to get the smallest Turkey that I can find this year. We don't do well with left overs and it will just be the wife and I and our 3 boys this year. Do you get a big turkey for the left overs?

kms

Cyburbian
I think we are going to get the smallest Turkey that I can find this year. We don't do well with left overs and it will just be the wife and I and our 3 boys this year. Do you get a big turkey for the left overs?
Not any more. I had an epiphany a few years ago and realized that I only like the flavors that turkey lends to the meal. Add to that that the rest of my family doesn’t seem to care for dark meat. I may just get a turkey breast this year. I’m aiming to have enough leftovers for one meal.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

Mskis said:
Do you get a big turkey for the left overs?
Always. Not only do we buy and prepare enough food to have leftovers for us, but also enough for any guests to take home with them that happen to be present as well. This makes for a lot of work sometimes but I figure it's only once a year.

We usually do pretty well using up our own leftovers. Sure we might end up pitching half of the orange jello and a quarter of the green bean casserole five days later, but otherwise we generally will use up all the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, dinner rolls, rutabaga, cranberry jelly, pumpkin pie and relishes.

Seems I just listed our traditional T-day menu. Don't think I missed anything other than gravy.

What's usually on your menus?

Bubba

Cyburbian
We didn't get our Thanksgiving plans nailed down until yesterday morning, thanks in large part to my SIL's general inability to communicate and a couple of my nephews trying to sort out their work schedules**. So, we're going have lunch on Thanksgiving Day down in south Georgia with my late Mother's side of the family - dinner would have been an hour from there with my late Father's side of the family, but we're skipping that to get back up to the ATL so we can spend Friday getting things ready to host Mrs. Bubba's family for dinner on Saturday. At this point my main concern is figuring out the protein(s) for that dinner; Mrs. Bubba and my MIL are going to sort out the rest of the menu later today.

Christmas this year is going to be so much easier...

**Two of my nephews work retail, and are both scheduled to work Thanksgiving day on a shift that would negate both a lunch or dinner gathering - the older of the two is the one who came up with the idea of making sure they both got that Saturday off so there could be some sort of family get-together.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We've got the turkey... picked it up last weekend. Other than that, it's up in the air. My wife plans that.

We'll do Thanksgiving on Friday since I'm going to the Bills-Cowboys game on Thursday. So I guess technically my Thanksgiving dinner will be tailgate food. And beer.

DVD

Cyburbian
We got a 15 pound bird. The wife insists on traditional so stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, cranberry, and some kind of vegetable that isn't green bean casserole.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How did I know that this was going to get split.... I almost posted it as a stand alone thread but figured it was not worthy.

As I noted, we are going to get a very small turkey and then proceed with the traditional sides.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We are going traditional on T-day this year. This is the first year my parents are not together for the holiday, and dad is spending the day with us. I asked him what he wanted, telling him that I want this meal to have things I know he will eat.

-turkey breast (cooked in the instapot) and gravy
-mashed potatoes from scratch
-green bean casserole and creamed corn in crockpots
-possibly another veggie - undetermined (Hubby will decide)
-stuffing
-rolls and cornbread
-cranberry orange sauce
-chocolate chip cookies and ice cream for dessert, along with coffee

On a side note, in the past we've done 1) buffet prior to going to the Cowboys game 2) family extravaganza with lots of hassle 3) just Hubby and me at home 4) Hubby and I out someplace fancy.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How did I know that this was going to get split.... I almost posted it as a stand alone thread but figured it was not worthy.
I don't know, maybe because we ALWAYS have a Thanksgiving thread EVERY year and you happened to be the first I noticed to post about T-day preparations.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My mom got a 12? pound turkey and a turkey breast. My brother and his family are coming again this year (2 adults, 2 younger kids and 1 teenager) so there's going to be a lot more added food probably. I volunteered to smoke the turkey breast. It doesn't take too long and is actually pretty good.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doing our usual extravanganza with friends - we do the turkeys with 2 stuffing (apple and chestnut/sausage), our onion dish (Frugal Gourmet Cooks American) and celery root salad. We also make a sweet potato pie from the same cookbook. Other people do other things to add into it. It's fun!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I going to a family that is a small crowd - 21 people

AG74683

Cyburbian
I going to a family that is a small crowd - 21 people
The know-it-all girl that works here has some massive family Thanksgiving of like 75 people. That would drive me up the wall. It's so many people that their Thanksgiving family photo needs to be split into two groups. I guess they formerly held it at some family cabin but someone neglected to treat it for termites and it's totally ruined now. They have to move family Thanksgiving to a freaking church fellowship hall because they won't fit anywhere else.

And here I am stressing over 9 people for Thanksgiving.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
17 pounder for us- nice local bird that will do well with a dry brine. Just my wife and kid and my parents this year- lots of leftovers and we never seem to have a problem getting through them.

I have recently used the innards to make up a nice little tourtiere (French Canadian meat pie) to serve as an appetizer. You already have the potato, pie crust, and gravy going so why not?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
24 pounder here. We plan to have six. Like I said lots of leftovers.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I bought a 7+ pound bone-in breast that I'll cook in the slow cooker. Mashed taters and stuffing and some bread product. I think it's just me this year as the kids will be with their mother at their Grandfather's house. Lots of left overs for toasted sourdough turkey sandwiches. Yum.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Does anyone here like green bean casserole? I actually like it a lot but only if french cut beans are used. Otherwise it's a no go for me.

When I was younger my grandmother and then my mom would get our Thanksgiving (and Christmas) turkeys from a local grower who sold at a neighborhood store. You ordered your turkey and picked it up on Tuesday or Wednesday because it had just recently been ummmm "dispatched". No frozen birds in my home growing up.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone here like green bean casserole? I actually like it a lot but only if french cut beans are used. Otherwise it's a no go for me.

When I was younger my grandmother and then my mom would get our Thanksgiving (and Christmas) turkeys from a local grower who sold at a neighborhood store. You ordered your turkey and picked it up on Tuesday or Wednesday because it had just recently been ummmm "dispatched". No frozen birds in my home growing up.
We often make brussel sprouts with bacon as I have never liked green bean casserole - I know, right? It's crazy un-American, and I am from the suburbs!

Typical butterball when I was growing up but we get fresh now

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I have to work on 🦃 day. So we will do Thanksgiving on Black Friday...after we see Frozen 2! We do smallish turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, cranberry jelly from a can, green peas, GF stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie and Whipits.

kms

Cyburbian

I love to have green bean casserole (with French-cut beans) once in a while. My mom never made it, but I like it.

As far as childhood Thanksgiving, except for mashed potatoes, everything else started out as frozen, canned or pre-made. I’m more inclined to make things from scratch, but I bought dinner rolls from a Bob Evans restaurant last year. I love those things.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mom made the green bean casserole as a staple for a few meals throughout the year.

We go to in-laws for T-giving. Usually a turkey & a turkey breast will be cooked different ways, deviled eggs, yams/sweet potatoes, salad, cranberry sauce my SIL makes...really the standard stuff.

kms

Cyburbian
I bought a 7+ pound bone-in breast that I'll cook in the slow cooker. Mashed taters and stuffing and some bread product. I think it's just me this year as the kids will be with their mother at their Grandfather's house. Lots of left overs for toasted sourdough turkey sandwiches. Yum.
My family always included someone we knew who might be dining alone. If you weren’t so far down the river, we’d include you.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I LOVE IT. It's one of my favorite things. I used to be very adverse to it because it just wasn't that appealing to me (at least visually). I tried it one year and now it's one of the main things I look forward to.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love green bean casserole. It's about the only way I'll eat cream of mushroom soup.
I like it so long as the fried onions are crunchy. I can't stand it when the onions are soggy and not crisp. As such, it doesn't usually fare well as a leftover in my book, and tends to be enjoyed only on the day of preparation.

Bubba

Cyburbian
...we're going have lunch on Thanksgiving Day down in south Georgia with my late Mother's side of the family - dinner would have been an hour from there with my late Father's side of the family, but we're skipping that to get back up to the ATL so we can spend Friday getting things ready to host Mrs. Bubba's family for dinner on Saturday. At this point my main concern is figuring out the protein(s) for that dinner; Mrs. Bubba and my MIL are going to sort out the rest of the menu later today.
Yeah, about that...

Our thoughts: Mrs. Bubba had a huge traditional Thanksgiving meal yesterday at work for their annual potluck lunch, we're getting the same for lunch on Thanksgiving Day (and already plan to skip a repeat for Thanksgiving dinner), so lets look at doing something different for dinner with the in-laws on Saturday. There are a couple of really good BBQ restaurants in the general vicinity of Chez Bubba, so we figured we'd grab some pulled pork and smoked sausages from one or both for the proteins, and sort out the sides between the family members. I'll be amped up that day in the aftermath of the noontime UGA - GT game, so we'll make sure the beer fridge is stocked, see if a couple of the neighbors want to grab some 'cue for dinner, etc.

Mrs. Bubba calls my MIL yesterday afternoon to talk sides/desserts - MIL doesn't really want to talk food at the time. Um, okay...

...and 20 minutes later MIL sends Mrs. Bubba an e-mail whining about us not wanting to do the full traditional Turkey Day menu and insisting she'll do it herself. This apparently went over like a lead balloon with my better half (based on the rant I listened to over the phone immediately after her receipt of that e-mail). So, today, MIL will be informed of exactly which types of food she is expected to contribute (as will my SIL, who traditionally brings absolutely nothing to family gatherings :r:), and I just get to decide what to get from which BBQ joint. The one concession we're willing to make is picking up a pound of smoked turkey from the one of the two places that occasionally has that on the menu (if available).

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Bubba - in years that we have hosted vegetarians, we make the stuffed acorn squash recipe from the Moosewood Cook (second one) - it's excellent!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Bubba - sounds like your wife has her mother in hand. Hopefully, the sis gets her act together, too. I like your idea of something different, and I hope it all works out.

When my mom hosted, the only guests that were allowed to arrive without a contributing dish was/were the singles/adult kids of friends that were specifically invited as a guest. All family members were required to bring something, and that was usually what mom assigned you to bring.

The only exemption I remember mom granting was to my aunt, who was recovering from a car accident and had a broken elbow and other painful body parts at the time. Otherwise, no contributing dish(es) = do not bother to come over.

My mom would have cooked vegetarian dishes/assigned them to someone, or had some dishes with no dairy. However, you had better tell her way in advance because that's not her usual style of cooking and would require recipe searches and special shopping lists. Nowadays, she does order a few things from the fancy market, but still has the list of items in advance and will parcel out the list based on who's coming to dinner.

DVD

Cyburbian
With Thanksgiving coming up that means Festivus is just around the corner with the airing of grievances and feats of strength.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What I am bringing is whole boneless Honey Baked Ham.

Bubba

Cyburbian
@Bubba - in years that we have hosted vegetarians, we make the stuffed acorn squash recipe from the Moosewood Cook (second one) - it's excellent!
Not hosting any vegetarians this year (and you lost both Mrs. Bubba and me at the word "squash"). We'll mostly go with some "common" sides with the 'cue - mac and cheese, some sort of greens, etc. The one thing I'm considering that my nephews have presumably never seen is yuca con mojo, which is excellent with pork and beer.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Did the big Thanksgiving dinner last Sunday. In-laws are taking 2/3 of my kids to see their other daughter out of state. This leaves my wife and one child at home on Thursday. On the menu is ribeye steak, bacon wrapped scallops on the smoker, baked potatoes, and green beans with bacon and onion. Might throw in some crab legs and shrimp.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We're providing some gluten-free dishes for my MIL who has celiac disease.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My wife just came down with the flu. Her parents were going to fly up from Florida today, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I don't blame them. The plans were to have Thanksgiving at our house, but things are up in the air now.

Last year, there were leftovers that lasted for weeks. This year, I think we're going to do a smaller turkey breast from Wegmans, at least for the omnivores.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My wife just came down with the flu. Her parents were going to fly up from Florida today, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I don't blame them. The plans were to have Thanksgiving at our house, but things are up in the air now.
Oh no, hope she feels better soon and no one else catches it!

We're having Turkey Day at our house with all four kiddos (yay!) plus my fiance's parents and his sister. We got two turkeys because one is going to be smoked on the grill, so the other one will be baked normally in case the smoking doesn't turn out so well. :p

AG74683

Cyburbian
I volunteered to smoke the turkey breast. It doesn't take too long and is actually pretty good.
Okay so I am definitely smoking it now. What should I use for a rub? I used a Cajun one last year but I think I want something different. Something garlic/rosemary type thing.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay so I am definitely smoking it now. What should I use for a rub? I used a Cajun one last year but I think I want something different. Something garlic/rosemary type thing.
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons cayenne
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We've been invited to T-Day meal at ZG's 4th cousin's home. She met him on ancestry.com. We taking a dessert, a Hickory's Farm snack platter, and wine.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. I picked up a 12lb turkey yesterday which will be enough for the 5 of us on Thanksgiving, next day leftovers, and boiling the carcass for stock.

Menu: dry brined turkey, stuffing/dressing not cooked in the bird, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green bean almondine, homemade cranberry orange ginger relish, and a pumpkin apple butter pie for dessert.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moved the turkey from the freezer to the fridge on Saturday. It's still frozen solid.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moved the turkey from the freezer to the fridge on Saturday. It's still frozen solid.
You can put it in the sink in cold water for a few hours to get the thaw going, keep it in the wrapper. Remove back to the fridge unwrapped to finish thawing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Re: Green bean casserole - It's disgusting. My mom never made that when we were growing up and for that I'm thankful. I never had it until my wife's aunt or somebody served it when we were first dating and thought it was just a gross gloopy pile that should have been shoveled directly into the garbage. Since then, I've seen it at a few holiday parties and no matter how it's prepared it just continues to look as disgusting as ever. Last year we hosted Thanksgiving and my wife insisted that she needed to make a green bean casserole since nobody had volunteered to bring it. I told her to take that as a sign that nobody actually wanted that as a side but she didn't listen to me. We had about 20+ people at our house and I think we ended up throwing away 98% of it untouched and I cannot imagine it's a dish that improves as a leftover after a few days in the fridge.

When we do host, we try to get a big enough turkey so that nobody goes hungry but also not so big that there are tons of leftovers.

When my parents host, my dad likes to get the absolute biggest turkey in a 50 mile radius and also a big spiral cut Honey Baked ham. Thanksgiving with that side of the family always means about 50+ people and my dad likes to have enough turkey and ham that everybody goes home with enough food to feed themselves for the next day or two and my dad wants enough leftovers at their house that they don't have to cook until Monday or Tuesday of the following week! Oh, and no matter how much food my parents make, they still always run out of stuffing so if you want seconds on that, you have to get up there quick!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You can put it in the sink in cold water for a few hours to get the thaw going, keep it in the wrapper. Remove back to the fridge unwrapped to finish thawing.
We may have to do that over several successive days.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Re: Green bean casserole - It's disgusting. My mom never made that when we were growing up and for that I'm thankful. I never had it until my wife's aunt or somebody served it when we were first dating and thought it was just a gross gloopy pile that should have been shoveled directly into the garbage. Since then, I've seen it at a few holiday parties and no matter how it's prepared it just continues to look as disgusting as ever. Last year we hosted Thanksgiving and my wife insisted that she needed to make a green bean casserole since nobody had volunteered to bring it. I told her to take that as a sign that nobody actually wanted that as a side but she didn't listen to me. We had about 20+ people at our house and I think we ended up throwing away 98% of it untouched and I cannot imagine it's a dish that improves as a leftover after a few days in the fridge.
Have you tried it though? It looks disgusting to be sure, but it's delicious. Somehow it actually DOES improve as leftovers too. It's good cold if you can get past the texture. That said, I'll eat just about anything, hot or cold, so my opinion is a little off.