• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The annual Thanksgiving dinner thread 2019

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Have you tried it though? It looks disgusting to be sure, but it's delicious. Somehow it actually DOES improve as leftovers too. It's good cold if you can get past the texture. That said, I'll eat just about anything, hot or cold, so my opinion is a little off.
I've tried it a couple times and it's never improved my opinion. I think the texture was a huge turn-off but the taste didn't help its case.

And yes, it does look disgusting and that is a major strike against it. I am a believer that looking good in the serving dish goes a long way towards improving a food's taste.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried it a couple times and it's never improved my opinion. I think the texture was a huge turn-off but the taste didn't help its case.

And yes, it does look disgusting and that is a major strike against it. I am a believer that looking good in the serving dish goes a long way towards improving a food's taste.
I don't like it either and nobody in my family does. I make green bean almondine instead.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Current version of the menu for hosting Mrs. Bubba's family on Saturday:

Pulled pork and smoked turkey (from a damn good local BBQ joint), smoked kielbasa and black boudin (from a butcher's shop over near our previous house, to be grilled up my yours truly); corn, mac-and-cheese, kale and mushroom salad, deviled eggs, rolls of some sort (which is the minimum price of admission to the house for my SIL who never brings anything for family meals), and probably a few other things I’m forgetting. We'll have a bunch of snacks (and beer) for afternoon grazing, and my MIL has been given the task of providing dessert(s).

Hopefully UGA will beat the ever-living crap out of GA Tech (noon kickoff), so I'll be in a good mood when everyone shows up...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Homemade cranberry sauce recipe. Takes all of 10 minutes.

1lb fresh cranberries
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Zest of one orange
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
3 quarter sized slices fresh ginger

Put everything in a saucepan, cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes until cranberries are popped and start to break down. Stir often. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We'll be at my sister's house with my immediate family - my father, the five of us, my sister and my brother-SIL-nephew (10 people).

My sister does all the buying and most of the cooking. It usually comes out pretty good and it's a good time to hang out together for a couple days.

As for turkey prep/cooking, the last time my wife and I did a whole turkey, we roasted it whole, upside-down in the roasting pan and packed the inside with as much raw onions, celery, carrots and rosemary/thyme as possible.

It came out super juicy and 'fall off the bone' good.

Yum.