• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The APA conference -- who pays your tab?

Who pays for you to attend the APA National Conference??

• My employer covers everything -- even mobile workshops and receptions!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • My employer pays for registration, transportaiton and per diem, but I still have to cover the extras

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • My employer covers a good deal, but I still have to pay for some.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • My employer pays the registration fee, but that's it -- I have to cover transportation and per diem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It all comes out of my wallet.

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The APA conference -- who pays your tab?l?

I've never worked for an agency that would foot the bill for National. Never. Sure, they'd let me go, and they wouldn't count it as vacation time, but pay for registration, airline tickets and per diem? "Just read back issues of Planning."

So, for those that are attending National, or who have attended APA conferences in the past -- who foots the bill?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I got to the ITE Convention when it was in Toronto 4 years ago, my employer paid for my hotel (I was in Sudbury at the time) and gave me a regional car and a per diem. I got into the conference by volunteering - half a day's volunteer work got you a full day's attendence at the conference...

I was a co-op student when the APA last came to Toronto...a bunch of us got to sneak in to some forums, again by volunteering. The best part was catching my ethics prof trying to sneak into a session using someone else's ID badge...

So, no, I've never worked for someone willing to foot the whole bill. In fact, I've had to give up my CIP membership this year as my new employer doesn't pay professional dues for planners anymore. I don't get enough out of it to pay $400 a year out of my own pocket.

My employer won't even pay my APA dues, let alone conference registration. Bastards. Just kidding. Our planning board director has a membership to the APA, and the rest of us just read his Planning magazine. hee.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Pretty much like you said, Dan. I get the time off, but I have to pay the fare. Once in a while I get to go to a training session on the city's bill.

prudence

Cyburbian
My employer will cover everything but the obvious transgressions...this year is was the Pub Crawl. If the APA gave it a different title I could probably slip it in. But they will cover mobile workshops, misc. transporation (taxis), food (beer if you submit the general credit card receipt (never use the itemized)...

You need to spell everything out when you are hired...

APA conference

My employer is generous and pays for lodging, food and my time at the conference. What do people think of this year's conference? it was my first one and I am still deciding if I learn more at small conferences or at a large national conference. The small conferences seem to cover topics much more in-depth. I was glad to get a single new idea at each session at the national conference.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
HA!

My employer NEVER even mentions the Conference. If I wanted to go, I would have to pay for it, pay for lodging and trans, and probably take vacation.

After my experience in NYC a few years back, I realized that it was more of a vacation that a learning experience. Afterall, how can you spend your first trip to NYC cooped up in a conference room for 8 hours a day? I think I made it to 2 sessions per day tops. Some of my favorite "sessions" were 1) Yankees vs Royals, 2) Statue of Liberty, 3) Drinks at the bar where Puff Daddy and JLo had their infamous shoot-out. 4) Sleeping

Actually, the sessions I attended were very good and the registration came out of my own pocket, so I wasn't screwing the taxpayers.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: APA conference

132543 wrote:
What do people think of this year's conference?
I think Giff hit it on the head in another thread - it was like a Dockers factory exploded there. And there were plenty of blue dress shirts to go around.

I do think small conferences have topics more relevant to my positon, but the National offers better networking opportunities. A combination of both is important in professional development.

I was glad to get a single new idea at each session at the national conference.
Then you obviously didnt attend *my* session! ;)

Employer pays no more

When I was in the private sector, my employers typically paid all: APA dues, AICP dues, conferences. Now that I'm back in the public sector, my employer will pay for job-relevant conferences but will not pay dues unless they are essential for the job, which in my new position, they are not. So it may be bye-bye APA and AICP after 25 years.

biha

Cyburbian
Just Bill the Clients!

When I was in the private sector, my employer said that I could go to the APA national conference as long as I claimed it all as billable hours for projects the firm had with municipal clients. Frankly, the project oversight we received from municipal clients was so lax that I could have gotten away with it. Ethics prevailed, and I refused to go. Now I'm back in the public sector, and the Town willingly picks up the tab.