• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The art of language.

boiker

Cyburbian
snipped from an AP released article:
(Philadelphia-AP) -- The N-double-A-C-P says President Bush has declined an invitation to speak at its annual convention.
WTF? That's the first I've ever seen the NAACP referenced in that way. 8-!

Full Article

Edit: Google tells me that just over 1,000 webpages refer to it as the N-double-A-C-P and over 410,000 as the NAACP

Last edited:
boiker said:
snipped from an AP released article:

WTF? That's the first I've ever seen the NAACP referenced in that way. 8-!

Full Article
Did someone have a minimum number of words they had to type for that article? Bizarre.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Who else here thinks that the writer of this AP peice has no idea what NAACP actually is and simply wrote down what he/she heard it called (N-double-A-C-P)? My guess is they're a white kid just out of journalism school.

[ot]On a completely different note...
What is it that the NAACP does these days other than have conferences and threaten boycotts? I often have contact with the local chapter of the Urban League and am impressed with all of the community programs they work on, however, you rarely ever hear about them in the press. On the other hand, I hear about the NAACP in the press all the time but I can't think of a single thing they do other than moan and protest. Call me an uninformed white boy, but has the NAACP had any real relevance since the end of the Civil Rights Era?[/ot]

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
How about ...

Eye-talian cities hit by public transport strike
Tue Jul 6,12:14 PM ET

ROME (AFP) - Public transport was paralysed in Rome, Milan, Palermo and other major Eye-talian cities by a 24-hour strike to protest management's failure to renew a pay deal.

Traffic jams and long queues of frustrated commuters formed in Rome, where the worst-hit were tourists who found themselves waiting up to an hour in taxi queues at Rome's main station.
Must have been a reporter from Kentucky.

:D

bmoore81

Im not exactly sure what the NAACP is doing right now, but I am a little bit offended that some punk journalist cant even go through finding out what the Heck s/he is talking about. Not to mention sleeping editors who didn't make the change.
Grrrrrr......

Floridays

Cyburbian
NAACP spokesman John White said Wednesday that Bush has declined invitations in each year of his presidency -- becoming the first president since Herbert Hoover not to attend an NAACP convention.

gasp! :-0

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Dan said:
How about ...Eye-Talian...:D
My father-in-law grew up in an Italian home and that is how he always pronounces the word. He even has an uncle Guido and Stafano. His mothers maiden name was Buffo...what a family.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Is it possible that the journalist didn't know what is NAACP and s/he wrote "N-double-A-C-P" because that is what s/he heard being said? Or else the journalist could have been a newbie!

Even I haven't heard what is a NAACP!