• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Big Change . . .

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
. . . of clocks!

It's the day after the day after and that hour of sleep I lost Sunday morning is really catching up with me. The little Gedunkers were nearly impossible to rouse this morning for pre-school and school. Tonight I have a sanitary landfill and two floodplain fills on the ZBA agenda 8-!. Only I'll be a little more like |-)

So, to all of Cyburbia from the civilized world (ahem other Hoosiers and those from Arizona / Hawai'i) has the time change had any notable effects on you?

Dragon

Cyburbian
Sure does. I keep waking up at 6:20 thinking I should be up and getting ready for work. Then I notice my alarm clock, and realize I have another good 30 minutes to sleep.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Strangely enough, the time change hasn't really affected me the way I expected it to yet, but I know that I'll get hit hard when it does! Damn! :-D

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, it's starting to catch up to me a bit - especially since I was up late last night. The cat loves it though - she gets fed an hour "earlier" now.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My alarm clock is still set for 5:30 am... but my body tells me that it is only 4:30. I have not made it to the gym this week yet... (I WILL be going today after work)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Went to bed way early on Sat night, and it hasn't affected me at all......especially since I spent most of Sun morning in bed. ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's been hard to get up in the morning... I've hit the snooze button two days in a row, which is a rarity. Of course, being awake a little later in the evening for the past two nights has been nice ;)

tsc

Cyburbian
ugh... it hasnt been easy because I have to be out the door at 6:30 am. At least the dogs are fooled and don't bother me before the 5:30 am bell.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I was able to sleep in this morning. :-D

Semi-Off-Topic Explanation/Rant

My extra hour of sleep was hard-earned though. An hour-and-a-half in the dentist's chair. Ugh. Especially when the first filling doesn't take and she has to drill it out again and refill it (of course, the Novocaine was beginning to wear off by that time and I felt the drill even after two extrea shots of novocaine). My mouth is still numb and I am afraid to bite down right now, I HATTTTTTTEEEEEEE visting Dentists. A major DDS-Wienie am I. Luckily, good genes mean relatively few problems (this was a twenty year old filling that was just plain worn out). :-#

boiker

Cyburbian
screwed me up.. i hate waking up when it's dark. it was finally getting sunny in the morning when I'd get up at 5:30am. Now, it's pre-dawn at 5:30am. :-(

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Sunday I way fine,

Monday, I should have stayed home from work. I got nothing done, I was worthless.

Today, Much better, I think I have adjusted

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Not much of a problem.
New Harmony time - are you talking about the calendar or a clock?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
Not much of a problem.
New Harmony time - are you talking about the calendar or a clock?
Well, I guess I walked right into that one :-D

kms

Cyburbian
Spring time change doesn't bother me at all, but for some reason, the Fall time changes does.

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
So, to all of Cyburbia from the civilized world (ahem other Hoosiers and those from Arizona / Hawai'i) has the time change had any notable effects on you?
Yep - I enjoyed an extra hour of sleep! :) Down here we just finished Daylight Savings.

JNL

Cyburbian
BKM said:
An hour-and-a-half in the dentist's chair. Ugh. Especially when the first filling doesn't take and she has to drill it out again and refill it (of course, the Novocaine was beginning to wear off by that time and I felt the drill even after two extrea shots of novocaine). My mouth is still numb and I am afraid to bite down right now, I HATTTTTTTEEEEEEE visting Dentists.
Poor baby! :-S That is terrible (her having to re-do it).

There you go, you got a little bit of sympathy :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was out for a Bachelor Party on Saturday night. I almost forgot about the time change...until they kicked us out of the bar an hour early!

BKM

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Poor baby! :-S That is terrible (her having to re-do it).

There you go, you got a little bit of sympathy :)
I am feeling a little better, now. It was supposed to be easy and simple.

I have to admit I was getting rather annoyed sitting there with my gums bleeding into gauze for ten minutes while everyone bustled around outside the room. I was wondering if they had forgotten me.

Still, as a coworker reminded me, I have never had to experience a "deep cleaning" (urk!) or a "graft" (double urk).

H

Cyburbian
I was sooooooo tired yesterday, but I am over that now. :)

A-O-Lets Go!!! :-D

The time changed forced me to eat at IHOP last night because it was nearly 9pm when I left the house and the place I had intended to go eat lunch was closing. So I had to pick a place that was open until at least 10pm. But I don't usually eat lunch that late. So I can't blame it entirely on the time change. I was having a bad air day. (Not literally true and I bet no one gets the joke.)

BKM

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
The time changed forced me to eat at IHOP last night because it was nearly 9pm when I left the house and the place I had intended to go eat lunch was closing. So I had to pick a place that was open until at least 10pm. But I don't usually eat lunch that late. So I can't blame it entirely on the time change. I was having a bad air day. (Not literally true and I bet no one gets the joke.)
Ook. pollen season :(

It seems to be relatively mellow-so far-for me.

BKM said:
Ook. pollen season :(

It seems to be relatively mellow-so far-for me.
My real issue was drug withdrawal -- sleeping a lot and having no energy. But, usually, when I can't get my act together it is due to a "bad air day". I am having a better day today. This round of drug withdrawal looks like it may be pretty mild, all things considered. I managed to tell friends "I don't want to discuss X -- I tend to fight with people when I am coming off medication." and they kindly changed the subject.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Strangely enough, no daylight savings time here in Arizona. (Guess they figured the daylight they had was enough) It makes TV shows come on at odd times though. Any of the longtime Arizonans able to shed light on some reasoning. As the transplanted transient that I am, I have no clue.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am still waiting for some Hoosier to surface. Can anyone here intelligently comment as to why Indiana has such a reluctance to simply pick one time zone and either go or not go with daylight savings time? I heard once it had something to do with the powerful farm lobby, but I have no idea if this is the story or not. Because Indiana is located at the west edge of the Eastern time zone area I can understand vascillating between Eastern or Central time but why wouldn't a state want daylight savings time? Inquiring minds need to know....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
I never claimed to be Hoosier, How about you Gedunker?
No, not a Hoosier, although I am the father of two of 'em :-D

JNA posted a link from the Indianapolis Star that I also cited in another thread. The General Assembly again showed it has no cajones and took no action on the proposal. All three gubenatorial candidates have stated that they support the idea in some form (mostly CST/CDST), although one wants it to be a referendum (prohibited, btw, by the state's constitution).

Right now, the clock in the municipal building in which I work reads 8:48am although it is an hour later in reality. The County Commissioners adopted a Resolution noting that the General Assembly outlawed daylight savings and therefore the public hours for this building are 7:00am to 3:00pm, but in practice, 8:00am to 4:00pm because of our dependence on Louisville, KY which observes EST/EDST.

Nobody really knows what time it is in Indiana. |-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I'm not technically a Hoosier, but I've lived here for quite a while....the reason I always was given was that it had to do with keeping extra daylight hours for farming, which I never understood. Daylight is daylight, doesn't matter if it's 6 pm or 7 pm. And we're now at least as much an industrial state as agricultural, but change comes slowly to the Crossroads of America.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This was an easy one. I crossed over from the central to the mountain time zone just a few hours before the time change. I just left my watch set to the time I was used to.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
My Pittsburgh Steeler watch is much like the Steeler's last season.....somewhat defective. The stem that goes into the watch (to set the time) is broken.

Soooooooo.......I have two (2) choices: I can remove the battery, wait patiently until the real time is the time I am "stopped at" on the watch, and quickly place the battery in.

Or......I can just be an hour off for six (6) months of the year.

I have chosen option # 2. My Pitt watch is now correct.

Oh, yeah.....there is another option. I could move back and forth from Indiana.
No, can't do that. Too much furniture.

Timely Bear