• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Big Test of Planning Trivia

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OK, I took the AICP exam.
Did I think it was a good test? No.
Did I think it fairly assessed my abilities as a planner? No.
Do I think I passed. Yes.

Among those who are now taking the test or took it in the past, what do you think? I believe many of the questions had no clear answer, as individual circumstances could result in different approaches. I think it was overly weighted with questions related to ethics. I also beleive that it failed to measure my true abilities as a planner. Where did it test my ability to communicate through writing, drawings, graphics or maps? Where did it test my ability to conduct a thorough site plan review? Where did it test my ability to formulate effective plans?

About all it did was test my knowledge of planning trivia. Am I really a better planner for having memorized that a particular person is associated with a particular theory? I don't think so. What does that say for the value of the certification? There has to be a better way to determine qualifications. Perhaps in the process, candidatess might even have some personal contact with somebody at APA.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Nice (sarcasm) to see that some things dont change. I plan to take it in November. SO how was the new session format?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Did I think it was a good test? No.
Did I think it fairly assessed my abilities as a planner? No.
Do I think I passed. Yes.

Among those who are now taking the test or took it in the past, what do you think? I believe many of the questions had no clear answer, as individual circumstances could result in different approaches. I think it was overly weighted with questions related to ethics. I also beleive that it failed to measure my true abilities as a planner. Where did it test my ability to communicate through writing, drawings, graphics or maps? Where did it test my ability to conduct a thorough site plan review? Where did it test my ability to formulate effective plans?

About all it did was test my knowledge of planning trivia. Am I really a better planner for having memorized that a particular person is associated with a particular theory? I don't think so. What does that say for the value of the certification? There has to be a better way to determine qualifications. Perhaps in the process, candidatess might even have some personal contact with somebody at APA.
I couldn't have said it any better. It sucked. There were things on test the made me pause and think "I need to know this to be certified, Crap, well I guess "B""

The AICP CD-ROM study guide was useless. Now having taken the test I would not have wasted my money. For anyone who is relying on it, Quick study somethignelse.

I too thought the test was not a good one
I too thought the test did a poor job at assessing my abilities as a planner

Do I think I passed. ...... well we'll have to see.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Nice (sarcasm) to see that some things dont change. I plan to take it in November. SO how was the new session format?
Let's see, do I mention the cheap monitor that flickered enough to give me a headache? The keyboard with the 'a' and 'c' keys that did not work?

As far as navigability goes, the computerized test was good. But again, the questions were not.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Cardinal In my view, you've accurately summerized the test. My only additions would be the exam does not evaluate a person's ability to find creative solutions to complex problems and the skill to administer dozens of proposals simultaniously. Did the exam make me a better planner? No. Does AICP after my name give me more respect as a professional? In my view, the jury is still out.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I don't take it until next week. If the test is as Cardinal describes it, it seems pretty biased against those without graduate degrees who may have decades of relevant experience in the field but don't know the names behind planning theories.

Time to start memorizing those paradigms. :-\

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I took the test last year and passed it. The best thing that could be said about the AICP exam is what Cardinal said -- a test of planning trivia.

BTW, although I passed last year, I never paid AICP dues. If I simply pay the cash, will I get my certificate and pin? Or will I have to take the test again?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
pete-rock said:
BTW, although I passed last year, I never paid AICP dues. If I simply pay the cash, will I get my certificate and pin? Or will I have to take the test again?
My guess is that you may have to take the exam again....I'd contact AICP in Washington to find out!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
This won't make anyone happier, I suspect, but remember that this is NOT a test of planning knowledge. It is a membership test. That explains the large number of questions on ethics, theory, etc.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
This won't make anyone happier, I suspect, but remember that this is NOT a test of planning knowledge. It is a membership test. That explains the large number of questions on ethics, theory, etc.
Sadly, true.

I contrast this to my certification through IEDC. I took six courses, during which I met the education coordinator for IEDC, as well as some of the other IEDC staff. By the time I signed up to take the exam she knew who I was. I received a good deal of information from them ahead of time. The first day of testing was a multiple choice exam and three essay questions. They did a very good job of measuring my knowledge and ability to apply it. That evening I was informed that I passed and was invited to the oral exam the next day. Other certified professionals dedicated the time to interview me and other potential new CEcD's, not so much on knowledge, but on our past experience, commitment to the profession, and future goals. I was informed later that day that I had passed.

Personal interaction. Comprehensive assessment of professional knowledge and ability. Concern that I represent high standards for the profession. Ongoing activity to retain certification (not extra fees, but writing, research, volunteer involvement, and continuing education). These are what makes me value my certification. I see AICP as little more than a requirement for some jobs.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lee Nellis said:
Is there an FAICP test?

I recognize some of the names on the list of people who were nominated (not necessarily accepted, but nominated) for FAICP membership, and they don't seem like groundbreaking planner's planners. They're good planners, but not people who that get mentioned in every other issue of Planning magazine. I thought you had to be a planning celebrity, someone who's been around since the AIP and ASPO days, to get cosnidered for FAICP membership.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Again, FAICP is more about service to the profession, and particularly to APA, than about being a ground-breaking planner. There are a few people who qualify on both counts, I think, but you won't get the F in front of your AICP without being an active supporter/worker in APA, chapters, etc. Its a choice people make.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was told that these are two of the questions on the exam...

question 425

If a planner is sitting at a computer taking the AICP exam and the monitor starts to flicker on and off. What would be the ethical thing to do:

a) Pick up the monitor and through it at the front of the room
b) Beat the monitor with a chair
c) Call your supervisor to ask him/ her what should be done
d) Consult your local ordinance to see if it is in violation

question 426

A home owner in a single family residential district is running a petting zoo / brothel. Your inspection uncovers that he does not have a home occupancy permit, agricultural permit, parking permit, or a permit to house exotic animals and body oils in the same structure. If you close down the petting zoo / brothel, the home owner will not be able to afford to make payments on the house or pay their taxes and the animals will be sold off at auction. What would be the ethical thing to do?

a) Close down the illegal business, and let all the animals run free
b) Quit your job and run for office

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Kind of along the same lines... (didn't know if I should start a new thread, and couldn't find the answer in past threads).

I think I am going to take the test in November, and went searching around the APA website. I have to apply to apply, which is $60. If approved, I have to register and pay another fee, correct? How much is the registration fee?

Also, they said a letter is needed from your college? An actual letter, or certified transcripts? Does it matter? They didn't really go into detail (not that I could find anyway).

Did you guys have to pay to take the test, or did your employer? What about membership fee - does your employer pay that, or do you have to?

Thanks!

NHPlanner

Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
Kind of along the same lines... (didn't know if I should start a new thread, and couldn't find the answer in past threads).

I think I am going to take the test in November, and went searching around the APA website. I have to apply to apply, which is $60. If approved, I have to register and pay another fee, correct? How much is the registration fee?

Also, they said a letter is needed from your college? An actual letter, or certified transcripts? Does it matter? They didn't really go into detail (not that I could find anyway).

Did you guys have to pay to take the test, or did your employer? What about membership fee - does your employer pay that, or do you have to?

Thanks!
Most of the general questions can be answered here: http://www.planning.org/certification/faq.htm

I believe the exam fee is around 200 bucks.

I did not need a letter from my university when I took the exam. I just listed the degree and university on my application forms. Accreditation and length of time as a professional will dictate eligibility for taking the exam. (Edit: read the FAQ...apparently you do need a letter from the administrative person at the college or university in charge of your degree program to provide written verification now. Wasn't the case 3 years ago.)

My employer paid for the application, the exam fee, and continues to pay my (and my boss') APA and AICP dues. I'd say that 80-90% of the communities around here will cover the fees and dues.

The One

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I was told that these are two of the questions on the exam...

question 425

If a planner is sitting at a computer taking the AICP exam and the monitor starts to flicker on and off. What would be the ethical thing to do:

a) Pick up the monitor and through it at the front of the room
b) Beat the monitor with a chair

question 426

A home owner in a single family residential district is running a petting zoo / brothel. Your inspection uncovers that he does not have a home occupancy permit, agricultural permit, parking permit, or a permit to house exotic animals and body oils in the same structure. If you close down the petting zoo / brothel, the home owner will not be able to afford to make payments on the house or pay their taxes and the animals will be sold off at auction. What would be the ethical thing to do?

a) Close down the illegal business, and let all the animals run free
b) Quit your job and run for office

I like b on both questions....ha ha ha...your a funny person..... My #1 reason for taking the test was that I thought some day it would be a requirement in some states to be "certified"....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SW MI Planner said:
This is true. However, all of the application info I can find on the APA website is from 2002 and do not mention the November date! They have not returned calls or emails to me for info. I'm contacting my chapter's PDO.

I think the second fee is $425?

Cardinal said:
I contrast this to my certification through IEDC. I took six courses, during which I met the education coordinator for IEDC, as well as some of the other IEDC staff. By the time I signed up to take the exam she knew who I was. I received a good deal of information from them ahead of time. The first day of testing was a multiple choice exam and three essay questions. They did a very good job of measuring my knowledge and ability to apply it. That evening I was informed that I passed and was invited to the oral exam the next day. Other certified professionals dedicated the time to interview me and other potential new CEcD's, not so much on knowledge, but on our past experience, commitment to the profession, and future goals. I was informed later that day that I had passed.
I just downloaded the CEcD apps yesterday. It seems like a good way to round out the EDFP certification, which has too narrow of focus IMHO. Although it appears I could test for CEcD without taking "thier" courses, I am going to attend several for exactly the reasons you mention. I want them to know me as much as possible going in, especially with an oral interview requirement.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet, you might be able to slide in under the interim rules for the CEcD exam. Economic developers with ten or more years of experience can still take the exam this year without taking the courses. If you had the NDC courses you have covered half of the exam already. Planning knowledge makes up a good part as well. Top that off with knowledge of federal programs and common economic development tools. As far as the interviews go, you won't be interviewed by people attending the courses. They are conducted by people like... me. If you test at the right time (hint, hint)* you might not have to give that part too much concern.

As far as AICP is concerned, the folks at APA never return calls or e-mails and make no effort to contact potential candidates. Yes, you pay your $60 application fee, then send in letters from your employers verifying work experience, and contact your university to send confirmation of your degree. A transcript is not required. I think the fee to take the exam was around $300-350. I had to pay it, but can get reimbursed through the GI Bill. My employer pays my APA dues, but I assume I will have to pay for AICP.

* Of course, I would not throw a test, but knowing Chet's background and abilities, I wouldn't hesitate to pass him through this part of the exam.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
Chet, you might be able to slide in under the interim rules for the CEcD exam. Economic developers with ten or more years of experience can still take the exam this year without taking the courses. If you had the NDC courses you have covered half of the exam already. Planning knowledge makes up a good part as well. Top that off with knowledge of federal programs and common economic development tools. As far as the interviews go, you won't be interviewed by people attending the courses. They are conducted by people like... me. If you test at the right time (hint, hint)* you might not have to give that part too much concern.
Thanks for the tips. The Fall 2005 expiration of the 10 year rule is what piqued my interest. I do have the NDA courses under my belt, so maybe I should just give it a shot since my employer is paying for it anyway.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Ahhh. I will be taking the test this weekend. My brain is filled with useless planning facts, names, dates etc.

How was the computer version of the test? Was it difficult to navigate through it? I would imagine it gives you much more of a headache then a normal paper test.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Navigating the test was not a problem. Hopefully, the equipment they use at your testing center is better than what I experienced.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
The one thing that I actually learned from the website is that you have to re-test after four years.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
The one thing that I actually learned from the website is that you have to re-test after four years.
You do? What, the dues are not high enough, and they are looking for more extortion money?

jestes

Cyburbian
I took the exam yesterday and was also disappointed in the content/make-up of it. It seemed that a disproportional number of the questions were leading to an answer that would provide APA/AICP with final authority over a particular situation (as in most of the ethics questions). Sorry AICP but if an ethics question arrises locally I am not going to consult the AICP District Director or whatever to resolve the situation, it will be resolved locally.

Did I pass? Well, if I didn't it will completely blow my mind because I did not find the test to be particularly difficult.

They said we would need a calculator (to be provided by the testing agency)...I used it twice.

Frankly, I was hoping for more of a challenge from a test that cost me $400.00 to take. In fact, it took me nearly as long to fill out the stupid application as it did to take the actual test.

WHAT!!!! Re-test in four years, fugetaboutit.

NHPlanner

Staff member
jestes said:
WHAT!!!! Re-test in four years, fugetaboutit.
That is if you do not stay current on dues, if you stay current on dues, you do not need to retest.

ludes98

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
That is if you do not stay current on dues, if you stay current on dues, you do not need to retest.
Keep that payoff coming and they are happy. Go figure. Sounds like that "E" word that rhymes with contortion.....

jestes

Cyburbian
I also happened upon the following quote on the AICP website:

If you let your AICP membership lapse and do not pay your full dues for more than four years (AICP, APA, and chapter dues) you will lose your AICP credential and will need to retake the exam in order to be reinstated. In addition, should your dues lapse for more than four years we will require that you sign over your first born; make pilgrimage to Mecca to build a shrine to AICP; and submit yourself to a public flogging by your AICP Regional Commissioner.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

About all it did was test my knowledge of planning trivia. Am I really a better planner for having memorized that a particular person is associated with a particular theory?.
Okay - I just took the exam and I would have to agree AND disagree with you. I disagree that all it did was test planning trivia. There was very little of that. There was very little of theory as well. Most of it were questions where there was no clear answer and the answer could have been dependant upon information that was not presented. I really don't see how you could prepare for this test, or how someone who passes (whether I do or not) could take the AICP credential as seriously distinguishing themselves within the planning profession. If I do pass I have half a mind to send my credential back to them.

During the test my emotions went from 8-! to :-c and :-# and finally :-b

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
imaplanner said:
Okay - I just took the exam and I would have to agree AND disagree with you. I disagree that all it did was test planning trivia. There was very little of that. There was very little of theory as well. Most of it were questions where there was no clear answer and the answer could have been dependant upon information that was not presented. I really don't see how you could prepare for this test, or how someone who passes (whether I do or not) could take the AICP credential as seriously distinguishing themselves within the planning profession. If I do pass I have half a mind to send my credential back to them.
My boss was on the AICP Exam Committee back in the early 1990's and tells me that when he was working on the Exam they had 5 different exams. So it would not suprise me if you got a different exam than did Cardnial or myself. Each test is different and each test taker knows different stuff. Maybe you got lucky and got a test of material you were familiar with.

For me. there waqs a lot of trivia :( I hate trivia

Took the exam this past Monday

I took the AICP exam this past Monday. For the second time. Last time was in 2002 - the year results were delayed for almost a month extra while they "looked into some issue". I just barely missed passing then.

This time I studied my butt off. But what I failed to do was study and memorize census data. Six questions about specific info from the 1990 Census and 2000. As in "what was the percentage increase of whatever from 1990 to 2000"? Six of those! How does memorizing national census trends help me as a planner? Where I live and plan is COMPLETELY different from this kind of stuff! Do I know how to find census data? Yes, do I know what to do with census data, yes. Do I know how to manipulate data, yes. I can even download it into tables and make pretty presentations. And also download into ArcGIS and map it. Do I get points for all that? NO! I get 6 questions wrong because I didn't MEMORIZE the census!

And I hated the questions like these - which were on the 2002 exam also: what was this city known for? And it's something I didn't know in 2002 and I don't know in 2004. And there were 3 of those. ANd I didn't come across that stuff in any of the books I read. And I bought ALL the recommended AICP books. And the cd-rom. WHICH IS USELESS by the way - the cd-rom that is. I got it in 2002 and got it this year. It's the SAME questions. And last time not one question was on the exam, nor this time!

Do I sound bitter? Maybe. Do I think the exam tested me on being a good planner? When I have to know which part of the federal government wrote guidelines on historic preservation, which has nothing to do with what part of governement oversees the program - NO. You know, I think an essay exam might be better in a way. Honestly. At least that way I can demonstrate that I know detailed, comprehensive information. Not random, trivial drither.

But hopefully I passed. Walking out of there, I really had no idea honestly. I feel better than last time. And I didn't study last time. This time I studied a butt load. But I think maybe I needed to study more than a butt load - and they actually ask you that on the exam - how much is a butt load - it's 0.0078 acres incidentally.

Why did I want this stupid thing after my name? Poor self-esteem?

thanks for letting me vent. I'm really not this bitter. I'm actually a funny person when not faced with crappy, horribly written exams.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Floridaplanner said:
I took the AICP exam this past Monday. For the second time. Last time was in 2002 - the year results were delayed for almost a month extra while they "looked into some issue". I just barely missed passing then.

This time I studied my butt off. But what I failed to do was study and memorize census data. Six questions about specific info from the 1990 Census and 2000. As in "what was the percentage increase of whatever from 1990 to 2000"? Six of those! How does memorizing national census trends help me as a planner? Where I live and plan is COMPLETELY different from this kind of stuff! Do I know how to find census data? Yes, do I know what to do with census data, yes. Do I know how to manipulate data, yes. I can even download it into tables and make pretty presentations. And also download into ArcGIS and map it. Do I get points for all that? NO! I get 6 questions wrong because I didn't MEMORIZE the census!

And I hated the questions like these - which were on the 2002 exam also: what was this city known for? And it's something I didn't know in 2002 and I don't know in 2004. And there were 3 of those. ANd I didn't come across that stuff in any of the books I read. And I bought ALL the recommended AICP books. And the cd-rom. WHICH IS USELESS by the way - the cd-rom that is. I got it in 2002 and got it this year. It's the SAME questions. And last time not one question was on the exam, nor this time!

Do I sound bitter? Maybe. Do I think the exam tested me on being a good planner? When I have to know which part of the federal government wrote guidelines on historic preservation, which has nothing to do with what part of governement oversees the program - NO. You know, I think an essay exam might be better in a way. Honestly. At least that way I can demonstrate that I know detailed, comprehensive information. Not random, trivial drither.

But hopefully I passed. Walking out of there, I really had no idea honestly. I feel better than last time. And I didn't study last time. This time I studied a butt load. But I think maybe I needed to study more than a butt load - and they actually ask you that on the exam - how much is a butt load - it's 0.0078 acres incidentally.

Why did I want this stupid thing after my name? Poor self-esteem?

thanks for letting me vent. I'm really not this bitter. I'm actually a funny person when not faced with crappy, horribly written exams.

AAAMMEENN Brother (or sister, sorry I don't know your gender) I feel your pain and felt the same way when I left the testing center last week monday.

Now the wait. Anyone have any idea how soon we till get the results??

jestes

Cyburbian
Now the wait. Anyone have any idea how soon we till get the results??
If I remember correctly, the last little splash screen at the end of the exam said 6-8 weeks. However, if AICP handles that like they did the application process this year it may actually be 68 weeks.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
jestes said:
If I remember correctly, the last little splash screen at the end of the exam said 6-8 weeks. However, if AICP handles that like they did the application process this year it may actually be 68 weeks.

[shaking head] Ain't this organization great. Why is that employers and clients want to see these letters behing our names? It amazes me. [still shaking head and dropping head] :-\

ssc

Cyburbian
Had to ad my two cents - I took and passed the exam in 1997 and found it the worst standardized test I've ever taken - and I've taken quite a few. I came out with absolutely no idea if I had passed. I also found it excruciatingly boring. Of course, at that time it was not computerized - perhaps if I had had a flickering computer monitor to amuse me I would have found the whole experience more pleasant.

Not sure why I took it, or why I keep paying the dues. I guess I like having those 4 letters after my name.

By the way, I paid the test fees up front, and my employer (then a consulting firm) reimburst me after I passed. Talk about incentive to study!

el Guapo

Capitalist
You damn snivieling kids, back in my day the AICP was hard. They made you crawl under live barbed wire while they shot machinegun fire over our heads. We climbed a cliff with 60 lbs of Amatol on our backs, and then we had to speak perfect German so the Krauts wouldn't catch us and have us shot for spies. You punk kids and your damn soft lives piss me off.

:)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Don't forget the altitude, snow and the cold.

Since you brought it up
Bob Dole was a Lt. in the 10th Mountain Division.
Some training was done at Camp Hale in Colorado.

DennisMaPlanner

Cyburbian
Test Results!!!!!

I also took the test this year, only waited over 20 years to get around to it. Prepared for nearly a year given the emphasis on textbook versus real life on the exam. I think I did okay. Getting tired of the wait however for results to come in so I called today. I was told that the results will be available in Mid July. :-c So much for having the opportunity to charge my membership fees to last fiscal years budget! :-\

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DennisMaPlanner said:
I also took the test this year, only waited over 20 years to get around to it. Prepared for nearly a year given the emphasis on textbook versus real life on the exam. I think I did okay. Getting tired of the wait however for results to come in so I called today. I was told that the results will be available in Mid July. :-c So much for having the opportunity to charge my membership fees to last fiscal years budget! :-\
Ten weeks to grade a computerized multiple choice test. Sounds about right for APA.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
DennisMaPlanner said:
I was told that the results will be available in Mid July. :-c So much for having the opportunity to charge my membership fees to last fiscal years budget! :-\
I e-mailed them in Mid June and they too told me Mid-July, well it is almost Mid July and not results for me yet. Do you really think they will be out on time or will we have to wait until August?

DennisMaPlanner

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
I e-mailed them in Mid June and they too told me Mid-July, well it is almost Mid July and not results for me yet. Do you really think they will be out on time or will we have to wait until August?
Well it depends on how much they want people's money. The application deadline for retaking the exam in November is July 21st.......

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
DennisMaPlanner said:
Well it depends on how much they want people's money. The application deadline for retaking the exam in November is July 21st.......
Actually I asked them about that when they told me that the results would be out in mid july. What I was told is that is for people who have not applied to take the exam, if you applies and were "accecpted" to take the exam in the spring you do not have to reapply to take the exam in the fall. The July 21st date is for applications, not registration, your application is good for 1 year..... I think.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I e-mailed them today, and heard back that they will be sending out results on the 19th.

jestes

Cyburbian
Mine came in today and I also passed. Congratulations to everyone...just don't forget to get your check in the mail on time.

Dragon

Cyburbian
jestes said:
Mine came in today and I also passed. Congratulations to everyone...just don't forget to get your check in the mail on time.
Congratulations would be in order for you my former master…but you are now one of the dark side. :p

DennisMaPlanner

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
HMM, and in English that means what?
Well the 55 equates to roughly about 108-110 questions correct out of the 150 on the exam. This is based upon the prep material saying we needed about 108 correct to pass. Basically you can scale your score from there to come up with a rough idea where you stood.

CONGRATS TO ALL WHO MADE IT PAST THIS HURDLE! :-}

Cardinal

Cyburbian
With my move, I have no idea how long it will be until I see my mail. I notified APA of my change of address, but did they correct it for this? I tend to doubt it - after all, this is APA. Have they posted a list online?