• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Cromulent Thoughtability Thread

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard the word "historicity" used in a meeting I had with an architect yesterday and I can't get the word out of my head

can we stop adding "ocity" and "ality" to the end of words and just restructure our phrases a little better - just stoppit

okay, I'm done - phew

Reactions: kms

Bubba

Cyburbian
I heard the word "historicity" used in a meeting I had with an architect yesterday and I can't get the word out of my head.
In 1996, a member of the public used the term "demolate" (instead of demolish) in a meeting I attended as an intern. At some point in my career, I know I am going to have a brain cramp and say demolate to a client.

Dammit.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I heard the word "historicity" used in a meeting I had with an architect yesterday and I can't get the word out of my head

can we stop adding "ocity" and "ality" to the end of words and just restructure our phrases a little better - just stoppit

okay, I'm done - phew
There's a lot of ridiculocity to this post.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the Atlantic, October 2016

Wordschmerz: a word for the mental suffering that results from someone else’s misuse of a word or phrase in one’s presence, the distress being magnified by an abiding sense of politeness that precludes correcting the other person—coupled with an intensifying melancholy about the confused changes that so many words are undergoing as a result of mass indifference to linguistic tradition.

*note that this is not a real word but it should be!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
From the Atlantic, October 2016

Wordschmerz: a word for the mental suffering that results from someone else’s misuse of a word or phrase in one’s presence, the distress being magnified by an abiding sense of politeness that precludes correcting the other person—coupled with an intensifying melancholy about the confused changes that so many words are undergoing as a result of mass indifference to linguistic tradition.

*note that this is not a real word but it should be!
Irregardless of this definition, language evolvinates over time.

Also, it makes me think of this:

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Enough of this hypersillyasstication! Get back to truly random thoughts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I thought this thread might achieve total goodification.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This reminds me of coining "librarying" for the action of being a professional librarian and/or working at a library.

It's ok...I can use this word as both of my parents were long time library directors and my sister works for a library....but you can't use this word.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I went online to gauge the urbanality of my childhood neighborhood and its nimbyality index is way high due to increasing gentrification.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Have any other planners had much success in densifying their communities? Do your plannification matrices facilitize the correct criteria to aspirationalize this particular goal?

.....okay, I'm done - phew
I highly doubtify that.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This thread is 1/2 serious and 2/3 bonkers.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]Historian here. BA degree to prove it. "Historicity" is a perfectly good word to describe the historic authenticity of something, as opposed, say, to a myth or legend or some non-historic accretion on an historic building.[/OT]

Carry on, you Mugwumps.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Perhaps, G, but it's the pretension of its use that tends to make the eyes roll.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
The over utilization of the word utilize is killifying my sensibilities and it makes me want to actualize my fisticuffs in their facial region.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
We designed one of the best outreach strategies for the community engagement portion of our Master Plan update, yet we now believe the targetocity of our efforts fell short. We anticipated full participation and engagement of all demographic groups, even the homeless population, but only five people showed up at our community information open house. The emotionality of these five individuals was discernible, yet the group lacked the requisite representatocity for the plan update. The combined educationality of our planning team should have known the shortcomings of their targetocity.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

okay, I'm done - phew

It’s a word... people who have AIA behind their name like to use it because they think it is cool.

However, the same goes with “ism”. As in my activist friend suffers from Obamaism and wants to change the world with anarchy and my conservative friends suffer from Trumpism and hate government regulations.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
A cable news website showed the faces of the Democratic Presidential candidates for 2020, and I now have a feeling the birtherocity of the right will soon have a field day.

Top Bottom