• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Cyburbia Fight Club Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
SAC's post in the Youtube thread reminded me of some of the girl fights I witnessed in junior high and high school. I don't know the reasons for the fights (evidently, one had something to do with a guy) but they were brutal. Comparing boy fights to girl fights in school, it always felt to me that the girl fights were 100% fueled by pure rage. The combatants were interested in one thing and one thing only: hurt the other person at all costs. Boy fights certainly had their share of rage too, but it was usually tempered with other elements like social status, or making a stand/statement against a bully. The notion of fighting technique was not alien. There appeared to be at least a bit more thought involved as combatants occasionally took some moments to assess their attacks and defenses, the goals in a boy fight varied, and could be anything from saving face to knocking someone out insensibly. Not so with girl fights, they burned with a different intensity; in a boy fight some quarter was occasionally offered and a modicum of 'fairness' was often observed. An opponent might be allowed to get up after being smacked down - indeed the very notion of observing any 'rules' at all was not evident in any of the girl fights I've witnessed. No, it was all hair pulling and eye gauging right to the bitter end.

Were you ever involved in a physical altercation in school, or even as an adult? Ever witness or try to intercede in any humdinger brawls?

Image result for fist fight
Image result for girl fight

kms

Cyburbian
I was never in a physical fight with a non-family member.

Girl fights are the worst and draw the biggest crowds. They are pure rage fueled by passion and anything goes.

The ones I witnessed were mostly pushing, slapping and scratching. Sadly, the fairer sex lately has become quite violent.

kjel

Super Moderator
I punched a guy in the face when I was in 10th grade after he twisted my arm because he didn't want me to walk away. I got suspended for a day but he got expelled. My mother was squarely on my side and told the vice principal that suspending me was stupid.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Oddly no. Given my size and strength, that's a good thing. I was taught self control at an early age. Plus, my family had strict rules about when and who you could fight. The rest is verboten.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The first rule of Cyburbia Fight Club is there is no Cyburbia Fight Club. This thread does not exist.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I've been in a few. My dad always told me to hit first and hit hard if it got to the point where you knew it was going to get physical. I never looked for trouble but I never backed down either. I don't get scared, I just get mad. I always found that most guys who tried to look hard really aren't all that tough once they get belted in the mouth. I played football in high school and college and oddly I was almost always the peacemaker in those situations. A few weeks ago I almost got into a fight, a real one. Which at age 49 is probably not a wise thing from both a professional standpoint and my physical well-being. I probably haven't been that enraged in over 30 years. But that's a story for another time.

Planit

Cyburbian
Not really, just a scuffle or 2, but not a fight.

Last one was about 20 years ago and a drunk was running his mouth about my wife. I told him to stop repeatedly and he did not. He finally said he could kick my ass anytime. I said why wait, I'm right here. As he raised his arm and reared back to swing, a bouncer came up behind him, grabbed his arm and spun it around his back in one move. He then proceeded to drag him out. Another bouncer came up to me and told me to sit down and relax. I gladly did so.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I've found that my excessive crying and runny-nose when it seems like I'm being threatened makes people want to not hit me. I'm in my forties and that's still working.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
"Everybody Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth" - Mike Tyson

So help me I'm going to get that quote on the title page of a Comp. Plan before I retire.
Even if it ends up being your last Comp Plan, it would be sooo worth it to drop those immortal words into it somehow.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Even if it ends up being your last Comp Plan, it would be sooo worth it to drop those immortal words into it somehow.
Probably a separate thread someday but surely we've all slipped a little something into a staff report, comp plan, or zoning chapter before.

/bring us a shrubbery

DVD

Cyburbian
Probably a separate thread someday but surely we've all slipped a little something into a staff report, comp plan, or zoning chapter before.

/bring us a shrubbery
No. I have never done anything like this. Ever. :| :indifferrent:

Gedunker

Moderating

/bring us a shrubbery
Never had the cajones to pull it off in an ordinance, but staff reports? Regularly, baby:ha:

DVD

Cyburbian
One of my cities we used to play a game. The director would give us a word just before we went up for our presentation and we had to work that word into the speech. Sometimes he would give each planner the same word just for fun.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Worst fight I witnessed in school was a girl fight - an assistant principal that tried to break it up ended up getting thrown into a wall - it took three football coaches to eventually end it. There was hair, torn clothes, and blood on the floor afterwards. Just freaking brutal.

Never had the cajones to pull it off in an ordinance, but staff reports? Regularly, baby:ha:
Had a colleague that inserted "shifting paradigms" as many times as possible into monthly status reports for a certain contract - he never got asked about it...

DVD

Cyburbian
We used to break your camera if you brought one with you. Because you know, bar fights and other evidence.

Italians do not put up much of a fight. British Marines fight like soccer hooligans (I learned a lot).

Top Bottom