• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

SGB

Cyburbian
As inspired by GeogPlanner
'bout time someone developed the Cyburbia diet...
Alright people. A lot of us want to lose some weight in 2004. Help us out here!

Post suggestions, techniques, desperate measures, recipes and cautionary tales.

And exercise suggestions cannot involve bicycles. ;)

Disclaimer: Us planners ain't doctors or dieticians or physical trainers. When in doubt, consult your professional health advisor of choice.

The Irish One

Walk and eat more salad with healthy salad dressing, leave fast food behind, if you can't go cold turkey -treat yourself once or twice a month. Replace your favorite beverage with water. Let's face it, for most of us we're talking about a change in lifestyle. Think less tv, earlier to bed for more time in the am. Just be moderate and look at the long term, things will work out for you.

WALKING IS REALLY GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!!!!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
low-carb beer and chicken...

from my past experience, you have to be willing to change your lifestyle...atkins and those other diets suck b/c you cannot eat that way forever. i think that the cyburbia diet is portion control. something like a decent breakfast, an early hearty lunch, a afternoon snack, and a light dinner. gotta eat early and not late. i used to not let myself eat after 7pm. and worked out 4 times a week doing some weights (low weight, high reps) and 20-30 min on a treadmill...dropped 25 lbs. except i probably put some back on b/c i stopped with the gym when i moved...didnt get into a new gym. :-(

donk

Cyburbian
My weight loss secret this fall was to get injured in such a way, fell off my bicycle (oops sorry)separated/dislocated shoulder, that every time you moved it hurt so bad that it killed your appetite. Pain killers also dulled my appetite.

Now that my stomach has shrunk, I have almost no appetite.

I forgot the other thing that helped me lose weight, this time around, bad stress.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmmm... If I gained 1 pound for each Cyburbianite that wants to lose weight... I'd probably have a more normal weight (A bit past the "ideal" weight probably)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Being the General Contractor (and all the subs except plumbing) on my kitchen project meant 1) no stove or sink for four months; 2) lots of interesting and new exercise; and, 3) weight loss of 8 lbs (from 179 to 171).

Now that the kitchen is functional (not finished, but functional) we'll see if I can keep it off (although 175 would be fine).

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I would think the key to a "Cyburbia Diet" is moving to a walkable, mixed use neighborhood.

I just need more time to do the fitness stuff, although I'd want to gain weight. My weight is embarassingly low for an adult man.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Stay away from candy and chips as snacks. Eat fruit instead. Also, walk as much as possible and avoid the elevator if you can. Take the stairs.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
SGB said:
And exercise suggestions cannot involve bicycles. ;)

?Why not?
I will be BOLDand ask
what do you have against bicycle riders any way?

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

JNA said:
?Why not?
I will be bold and ask
what do you have against bicycle riders any way?
I've nothing against bicycle riders. That was sarcasm and a poke at all the avid bike riders at Cybutbia.

I'm a bike rider myself. Just not regular or avid.

If biking was a big part of your weight loss routine, do tell! There must be better roles for bikes in weight loss than what Donk described going through.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
now having a chronic disease
I had to stop drinking (sorry beer drinkers)
pretty much given up potatoe (sorry Indiana spelling), rice, pasta, dairy products, red meat, etc...

Weather permitting I bike and/or walk 45 min. 3 -4 times a week.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Before taking this job I used to exercise 4-5 times every week. Stretching, 30-45 minutes on the elliptical machine, a mile walk/jog to stretch the muscles again, then 20 minutes on a rowing machine, followed by the circuit machines. I usually just had a donut or muffin with orange juice for breakfast, tended to snack through the day rather than sit down to a lunch, and finished dinner before six. Exercise was from 9 to 11. In the last seven years I have gained 20 pounds that I would like to lose.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well i thought that starting work at a great place 2 doors down from my gym would mean I'd grad the gym bag every day and make it part of the routine. Hasnt happened yet. The annual membership renewal is sitting on my desk tormenting me. I may have to consult with Tracy Gold to lose weight.

[humor] Throw out your bed. You will breathe better and have more energy. Doing 18 or 20 loads of laundry in the 2 days following throwing out the bed is also good exercise. Other than that, getting off the steroids that kept you breathing will probably stop the upward trend in weight that said steroids fostered. Sleeping on the floor may also be good for one's back.[/humor]

Seriously, if you have any kind of health problems, address those up front as part of your "fitness" plan. I know folks here are not terribly impressed with my ability to, oh, walk to my car without getting out of breathe and I do not appear to be the poster child for ultimate fitness. But, given that I *should* have died and I spent 4 months bedridden and 3 years in medical hell, I really have improved my fitness level dramatically and it was hard won. It didn't happen by accident or shear "good luck". I worked at it, very much consciously and with goals. With recently pitching my bed in the dumpster, I feel like I have been gifted a new body for Christmas. I haven't felt this good in many years.

Slow deteriation tends to creep up unnoticed and may be dismissed as "slowing down with age". That is precisely how something like congestive heart failure kills people (and it is also the short version of my brush with death). A friend of mine in her 50's was recently complaining to me how she was tired all the time and just didn't have energy. Not long thereafter she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure -- a condition that creeps up on one very slowly and is not nearly as dramatic as a heart attack. So, you might want to get a check up if it has been a while since you worked out and you just don't understand why you can't come up with the energy to stick with a fitness plan.

donk

Cyburbian
On a serious note, the thing I try to do is drink a large glass of water 10 -15 minutes before a meal. That way you are full on water instead of food.

biscuit

Cyburbian
A friend of mine went the trendy South Beach route and after seeing her success I decided to try a modified version of it. I drank nothing but water (and beer and occasionally bourbon ;) ), gave up all fast food and most red meat, and ate fish (never fried) almost every day. Not only did I drop the 20 lbs. I wanted but my cholesterol dropped nearly 40 points. The only thing I’d like is a little more muscle but I really, really, really, really hate going to the gym.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I have to agree with Donk. I try to drink at least one full glass of water before every meal. I've become a grazer. Only eating when I felt hungry and just enough to curb the hunger pangs. It's been a good success for me. Walking is a great suggestion.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Some people need a program that's easy to follow, includes encouragement from others, and doesn't require a lot of draconian lifestyle changes. That was certainly me. Last July, I joined Weight Watchers. On July 28, I weighed just under 245 pounds. Went to my doctor, who gave me a goal weight of 190 pounds based on my body style, height, etc. As of December 18, I now weigh 187 pounds-a total loss of 57.8 pounds. By my 45th birthday I will weigh the same that I did when I entered college.

I followed the plan, exercised when I could (which was less often than I would like), and attended the meetings. The weight came off. Simple dietary changes - drinking more water, better balancing my diet with green veggies and fiber-rich foods, and making better choices when eating out is what did it. I have never felt like I have deprived myself (the best thing about the WW plan is that nothing is forbidden). Other benefits have followed: better stomach and gastrointestinal health, and the heel pain that almost led me to an expensive surgery has all but disappeared.

I tried Atkins, lost a few pounds on it, but found it too hard to cut out carb-rich foods like bread, pasta, etc. I highly recommend Weight Watchers. Yes, it has a corporate feel that some may find disconcerting, but at the local level the people I met and who encouraged me were very personable and interested in my success. I'd encourage anyone looking to lose weight to check out the WW program.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The el Guapo Diet (TM)

Here is what has helped me shed some of the excess
1. I stopped smoking.
2. Atkins - It works as promised but follow it exactly for best results.
3. I found a form of exercise I actually enjoy, bicycling. There is one out there for you to.
4. Supportive family members really help.
5. Increasing the importance of the concept of good health in my mind's eye.
6. De-stressing after 8 long and painful Clinton years. God, I feel sooooo much better.

Dragon

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
The only thing I’d like is a little more muscle but I really, really, really, really hate going to the gym.
I don't care much for the gym either, but I found that having a workout buddy helps a lot. I used to go to the gym on rare occasions, but now I find myself there about twice a week striving to equal or beat my workout buddy at our routine. It also helps to have him there to push me on, and to pick the bar up off of my neck when my body decides it has had enough. On a positive note, I noticed an increase in muscle mass in a month.

IPlan

Cyburbian
Stay in shape, and eat right. Join a gym, and work out - you feel compelled to go because you are paying.

Eating right is the hard part. Put the junk food in the garbage, don't buy any so you are not tempted. Also limit the amount you eat, far to many, and even I like to eat just because, but limit your portions so you eat until you feel full, then stop eating! Don't go back for seconds...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Let's see ....

Why not get a bike?? ;)

Seriously, the only way to lose weight is to burn more daily calories than you consume. Period. End of story. No magic pills, programs, etc.

You need to know what your caloric intake is on a daily basis (I can provide a very comprehensive listing of foods for anyone who wishes), and have a good idea of what you are burning.

Excercise is a must. Sorry.

simulcra

Play Dance Dance Revolution.

Seriously.

If you don't think it's a work out, play for a few weeks until you're good enough to do the harder songs.

11th grade, preDDR : 170 lbs

first year UChicago, postDDR : 135 lbs and a very healthy blood pressure/pulse

and don't think you're too old. or too young.

or you could just go to a gym, but that' not nearly as fun (and it's more expensive)

EDIT: oh yes, and I also have two friends who also Dance Dance Revolution'd their ways to better health. a friend in iowa coincidentally started DDR about the same time as me, and when we met up last summer, we both kind of stared at each other for a while in wonderment. it can do wonders.

EDIT2: on a more serious note, if you ever get the munchies, drink some water instead. in many people, the thirst signal is so primitive its sometimes mistaken for hunger or appetite. even if you're wrong, the water will fill your stomach a bit so you aren't compelled to munch.

Solipsa said:

EDIT2: on a more serious note, if you ever get the munchies, drink some water instead. in many people, the thirst signal is so primitive its sometimes mistaken for hunger or appetite. even if you're wrong, the water will fill your stomach a bit so you aren't compelled to munch.
Actually, that's a good point but I would take that idea a little further: "munchies" -- or cravings for something in particular -- are often a signal that your body needs a specific nutrient and might be calmed by "taking your vitamins".

I am acutely aware of it because I basically spent most of my life malnourished, in spite of heroic efforts to feed myself right. Now that my underlying medical disorder is being treated, I suffer a lot less from "the munchies". But I still notice, for example, that when my intake of dairy goes way up, taking my oft-neglected calcium supplement usually kills my craving for dairy within a day or two. (When my intake of soda goes up, that is a craving for caffeine, which has a similar stimulant effect as most asthma drugs. Drinking more than usual soda is often my first clue that I have some problem I need to address. So I am extremely aware of how the body craves that which it needs and hunger for something specific is not merely self-indulgence.)

Another biggie is salt and water-soluble vitamins, especially if you work out (or go to a sauna, use a hot tub, etc) since your body will "burn" these up. These are things that won't be as obvious to most people as they are to me but if you take your vitamins, it can eventually level-out some of your food "issues". Overweight people are often malnourished because so many of their calories are "empty calories" and they have to keep eating to try to get the nutrients that they also need. Calories alone will not keep your energy up.

Additionally, some nutrients are harder to get as you get older. For example, CoQ10 is recommended as a daily supplement as you get older. It is manufactured by the body in a multi-step process and it is vulnerable to being "bottlenecked" at any of a number of points in this process (I think there are 17 steps in the process). The "Co" part is short for "Co-enzyme" and it is the counterpart that works hand-in-hand with melatonin. A lot of people take melatonin as a natural way to help them sleep. I cannot give melatonin to my insomniac son. It leaves him dopey and unable to fully wake up for about 3 days. While taking melatonin will not promote the production of CoQ10, taking CoQ10 will boost the body's production of melatonin about 12 hours later. CoQ10 is like an "upper" in that it chemically wakes up your brain. So I have been known to give my son CoQ10 to help him wake up in the morning and help him sleep better at night without being "dopey". Taking CoQ10 early in the day is one of the ways I began making progress with my own sleep issues. Taking it late in the day can give you insomnia. With gaining 20 pounds in one year -- a weight gain of nearly 20% for him -- and being adequately nourished for the first time in his life, my son's sleep issues have largely disappeared. He is also just a lot less crabby and stuff. So I think if you address sound nutrition, you may surprised at the results after a few weeks.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Why not revive an old thread?

I tipped the scales at 170 lbs. this morning--in clothes. I'm five pounds over from when I graduated from high school. Not bad for my age.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Last week I went to the doctor and found out I need to lose some weight. A desk-centric job isn't great for the waistline.

Nowadays there is some amazing technology at our disposal. I have the MyFitnessPal app on my phone I have been using it as a food diary. I punched in how much I wanted to lose a week and it generated how many calories I need to eat daily to meet that goal. The other thing I got was a fitness tracker. This tracker serves as a constant reminder to get in some exercise daily and even nags me every half-hour while I am at work to get up and move. It is amazing how even just a quick 2 or 3 minute walk around the office every 30 minutes keeps you alert and focused.

At the end of the day you have to be motivated but there are a lot of tools to help you once you decide to make a change. :)

Richmond Jake

I was at 166 lbs. this morning. That's nine pounds lost in the last 30 days. I've done nothing special except stopped eating.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I've lost about 15 pounds since the start of the year. I was in the 155-160 range and am now in the 140-145 range. I did move into a new apartment late last year. I live on the third floor of my unit, and I have a little bit of a walk from my car to my apartment, so this subtle increase in walking and stair-climbing has probably had a slight positive effect, especially since I walk and climb stairs at a pretty fast pace. I also do a quick morning workout routine in my home involving about 100 jumping jacks, 50 sit-ups, and 20 push-ups.

But to be honest, I think my dietary changes have had more of an impact. Here goes...

• I've switched from a daily coffee with fake cream & sugar to straight hot green tea (with nothing added)
  • I make sure to eat breakfast at my house every morning. I have a strict breakfast diet of a small bowl of plain Cheerios with milk and about 5-6 ounces of OJ (with pulp) every morning around 8. Then I have a banana (ripe or overripe only) with a cup of hot green tea around 10 in the morning at work. I've stopped getting bagels and donuts from Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and Panera, as well as Starbucks sugarized drinks...almost entirely. I'm really convinced that this has been one of the most impactful dietary changes I've made. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day...do it right and don't carb up in the morning.
  • I eat a decent lunch only about every other day...usually a couple tacos with small portions of rice and refried beans from this healthier Mexican place, or a small salad from somewhere, or I'll get a chicken sandwich from somewhere (but no fries). On the off days, I'll only have a small handful of nuts and a little bit of watermelon (which surprisingly fills me up and doesn't make me hungry). The key is to always eat a little something, but not too much.
  • On days where I have a bigger lunch, I'll have a lighter dinner. On days where I have a lighter lunch, I'll have a bigger dinner...usually half a pound of baked salmon with broccoli.
  • I avoid McDonald's as much as possible
  • I've stopped drinking alcohol or mindless snacking during the week, and save it for social occasions or special events. I just don't keep a lot of snack food in my pantry and only buy it for when I'm having people over.
  • I very rarely drink beer, opting for whiskey & diet coke. This is really big. Sorry folks, but if you want to lose weight, you need to cut the beer as much as possible.
  • I try to eat as little pizza, bread, and pasta as possible, and rice very sparingly
  • I will still eat potatoes or fries on occasion (it's good fiber), but not everyday
  • I try not to overdo it on cheese
  • I've never been a big ice cream person and have thus mostly cut this out; I've also cut out most sweets in general, but will have like 1 cookie when I go to my mom's house on the weekend; I will still have a little cake or pie at birthdays and holidays though; When craving sweets, I try to eat fruit
  • I will still eat my favorites. I will still go out for a burger once a week or grab an Italian beef from Portillo's. I will still get ribs maybe once a month. Pick a favorite or two and treat yourself to them every now and then.

Not saying what I do will work for everyone, but I like to do what I can to help.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Drinking lots of water everyday (32-64 oz) is very helpful too. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and crave it when I don't. Plus, a good chug of water is a sufficient appetite suppressor at about 10-11a to prevent snacking at work.

Since March 2015, I've been walking or biking to work almost everyday (1.5 miles one-way across city streets). Very nice if you can do it.

Lastly, food intake and portions are a a big difference. I've significantly reduced my meal portion sizes over the last decade and have been able to maintain a decent weight (which is slightly above ideal - aka Dad Bod).

This summer, so far, I've dropped to 217 lbs which is not bad for my build and height (large build and 6'1"). I think my good weight is around 200 lbs. We'll see.

Last edited:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Drinking lots of water everyday (32-64 oz) is very helpful too. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and crave it when I don't. Plus, a good chug of water is a sufficient appetite suppressor at about 10-11a, so prevent snacking at work.
This!

I try to have at least five 16.9 oz bottles of Dasani water everyday. Sorry, environmental people...but this works for me. My family switched to bottled water when we moved from a town that had Lake Michigan water to a town that had terrible, hard tap water (groundwater as the source), so bottled water has been ingrained in me for awhile. I only do Dasani though...it tastes better and is actually purified, unlike the cheap versions which don't seem as purified (Ice Mountain, Nestle, store brands). The expensive stuff (Fiji, Whole Foods brands) tastes bad IMO, so I try to avoid that as well. But, to each, their own.

Anyway...yeah, 80-100 oz of water a day. Do it. Make sure you're drinking plenty at work. One bottle/large glass in the morning, one at lunch/early afternoon, one in the late afternoon, one at dinnertime, one in the evening before bed, at least one while or after working out....you get the point. I almost lost my shit when my mom told me she was only drinking two bottles of water a day. I'm like, "you need to double that".

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm considering an effort to cut back the 2-3 sodas a day to 1 and drink more water to see if I lose some weight. Maybe a little walking too. I just think it's funny to hear people lose weight from the 160 range. I was 185 coming out of boot camp at 18. I don't remember a time I was around 160. Maybe freshman year? Now I'm up to 230+ I'd be happy just getting down to 200.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've been able to drop 20 lbs in 8 weeks simply by working out for 45 minutes 3x/week and stop drinking beer. Trouble is, I regain it all in half the time it took me to lose it (depression is a beyotch). At this point in life I'm convinced my body is going to do what it wants to do and any intervention on my part is not going to have any lasting effect.

DVD

Cyburbian
My problem right now is breaking the soda habit. I just can't easily follow the advice.

Stay away from the triggers. My triggers are the morning at the office and lunch at the office. Can't exactly avoid those times or locations.
Do something else. I don't exactly have the time to go take a walk or do something else. Besides, I'll just want the soda when I get back.
Drink water instead. I'm working on that one, but my addiction to soda seems to win out.
Next week I plan on physically limiting the number of sodas available. I usually bring 2-3 with me depending on my mood in the morning. I'm going to cut it back to 1 then I'm stuck drinking water or tea which is all that is around.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My problem right now is breaking the soda habit.
Maybe the thing to do is to find a suitable substitute. Water wins in the lack of calories department, but is woefully deficient in the satisfaction department. Perhaps keeping a stock of a relatively low calorie drink on hand that has actual flavor might work.

I can understand/empathize with the pleasant tasting beverage habit. Beer happens to be my kryptonite.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've worked to break the soda habit through basic 'laziness', acknowledgement of cost and lack of proximity.

Laziness - I don't do the grocery shopping so no stockpiles at the house. The closest convenience store is outside and across the street

Cost - An individual 20oz-er is over $2 each in many places, which is just crazy. Since I don't stockpile at home, no bulk savings

Lack of Proximity - the vending machine in the office only is Coke and I can't drink much regular Coke, store across the street.

The above have helped, but I replace the sugar rush with tea or coffee with 2-3 sizable scoops of sugar. But that pales in comparison to the amount of sugar in a single 20oz of my previously preferred soda (Mtn. Dew).

Good luck, dvd.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I just think it's funny to hear people lose weight from the 160 range.
I have a pretty small stature and had always been really skinny, but put on about 10-15 pounds of fat after college, so I needed to shed that. I was tired of the puffy face and neck and general bloatedness around my mid section. My look had definitely changed and I cringed at pictures of myself from 2013-14. So I lost that and feel better. Now I just need to tone up. I really have no muscle at all and my arms are really thin. So as soon as I get my ass to the gym, I hope to put on some muscle mass, which should even things out.

---

As far as pop (or soda as some of you call it), I've resigned myself to the fact that I just can't cut it out completely, but have tried to cut back as much as I can. For better or worse, I switched from regular Coke to Diet Coke awhile back. So while I might die of a stroke or something horrible from the aspartame (as all these doom-and-gloom conspiracy theorists would have you believe), I at least don't have to worry about the calories or tooth decay (or do I? who knows?). I've found that I drink less pop with diet, since diet tastes sweeter to me and I don't need as much sweet taste then.

But I've cut back significantly. Some things I've found:

• Just don't buy it. If it's not in your house, what are you gonna do?
  • There are certain foods that make me want to drink pop. Burgers, hot dogs, ribs, pizza, snack foods like chips, etc. The more I cut back on these foods, the less I'll drink pop. It's a win-win all the way around. I'm not going to drink pop with salmon, grilled chicken, salad, etc. I could drink pop with Mexican food, but it's not as important, and I've learned to drink water with Mexican food instead.
  • Try iced tea (non-sweetened) for something different if you can't do water all the time
  • Buy the smaller 8-oz cans instead of the 12-oz ones or the 20-oz bottles. Baby steps.
  • Never drink pop just by itself. If you're doing this, you gotta stop. That's probably the first step. Drink water throughout the day instead.

DVD

Cyburbian
  • Never drink pop just by itself. If you're doing this, you gotta stop. That's probably the first step. Drink water throughout the day instead.
This is my problem. My habit is to drink SODA (Dr. Pepper actually) in the morning (instead of coffee), with lunch, and around 2. I need to switch it out to water, but I have a sweet tooth that can't be stopped. My goal next week is just one in the morning and I'll switch to water or tea after that.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
As a kid I never liked any type of soda. Of course as a kid I wished I like it just because everyone else did. As I see adults trying to break the habit I'm glad I have a natural aversion to it.

Like Illinois Planner my goal is to avoid being a skinny guy with a big belly. I've been doing OK over the past year by substituting junk food for yogurt and substituting toast slathered with butter for oatmeal.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
One way to control your sugar intake is at birthday parties don't serve or eat any cake, cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream.
Better yet don't host or go to parties to avoid leftover or over eating.

Now get off my lawn.

DVD

Cyburbian
One way to control your sugar intake is at birthday parties don't serve or eat any cake, cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream.
Better yet don't host or go to parties to avoid leftover or over eating.

Now get off my lawn.
It's my belief that my coworkers should stop aging so there would be no reason to bring cake. It's all their fault!

Richmond Jake

I tipped the scale at 167 lbs this morning. Not too bad for after the holidays.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I lost 4.8 pounds from the week before thanksgiving until last week.

I like my actual weight right now, but would like to lower my body fat % a bit more. (Goal is 15% by the end of 2016)

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no idea what my actual weight is or if I'm losing any weight with my stop drinking soda and walk a little plan. At least I feel a like I might have dropped a pound or two.

Ryoohki1779

The trainer gave me a goal. 120lbs or 29' waist by the end of 2016. He was super proud that I lost 5 pounds in the first nine days of the New Year. I began my weight loss journey in September and I am continuing on. I have shifted to MyFitnessPal which syncs nicely with my Garmin Forerunner. I have also join our local Mayor's Fitness Challenge and a 90-day last man standing personal training challenge at the gym. I am already wearing clothes I have not worn in a few years and it feels great. I wish luck to all those who are working on losing weight and getting fit.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not focusing on any numbers at all, just changes to lifestyle and diet. So far my pants still feel too snug but we are only two weeks into the year.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I am not stepping on a scale and saying I need to lose XXX pounds. What I am doing is standing in my closet and saying I need to drop two dress sizes.

Towards that goal, I have

1) cut out fried food
2) limited soda/pop to max 2 a week (I usually only have them on the weekends, but I would chug them several over the course of two days)
3) started walking at least 30 minutes 3x a week (first week was a bust with only 2 walks, but I am buckling down!)
4) portion control

We shall see how this goes. I hope to report back with ongoing results - good or bad - in a couple of months. I'm hoping to meet my goal this summer.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm kind of going with the same idea. I want my pants to get more comfortable. I've cut my soda to 1 a day which is huge for me. I've made it almost 2 weeks now and I try to walk once a day about 1/2 a mile. I know I need more, but I'm trying to make walking a habit and not a chore. I also do my best to pick better foods and limit amounts, but I'm not killing myself over it.

btrage

Cyburbian
I've lost 42.5 pounds since August 6, 2015. Ate lunch that day, felt like crap, and decided it was time to change my life. I'm down to 187.5 pounds as of this past Friday, the lowest I've weighed at any point in my adult life.

Oh, and nice to see you all again :D