• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The dark side of Amish SimCity

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Many Cyburbanites played Amish SimCity when they were young. Often, their fascination with the built environment as a child led to their studies and/or careers in urban planning.

Here's an example of an Amish SimCity by someone who, if they became a city planner instead, would have changed the course of human events for decades to come.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Naw, I just built mazes on graph paper to use in my AD&D campaigns. LOL

H

Cyburbian
I did Lego SimCity. I had thousands and thousands of Lego’s and a recroom dedicated to them, so they would never have to be put away. My dad painted rivers and lakes on plywood and then my brother and I would compete with our cities. We had tallest building contests, businesses and industry, money, spy satellites, wars, and the whole shebang.

We never built anything from the directions. We would start off with the correct building, but quickly customize it.

That was my SimCity.