• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Demise of SNL

Is SNL Dead or What?

• The best it's ever been!!!!

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Someone put the show out of its unfunny misery!!!

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • What is this SNL you speak of? I'm out running the streets on Sat. nights!!!

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
This past Saturday night, I watched SNL for the first time in months. I barely cracked a smile during the skits and eventually fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the show. It seems like every few years, the show sucks really bad then it picks up with a really good cast. Right now, I think it's in the dark world of the unfunny and has been like this for several years now. What's your opinion?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I haven't watched SNL in at least 4 or 5 years....

The Irish One

It's horrid and the cast couldn't possibly suck more than it does. Phil Hartman years were good for me. The writing is just crap. Most repeating skits SUCK, I've stopped watching it. You know it's bad when you turn to Madtv.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I tried to watch it and I agree, there is nothing funny about the skits. It has been terrible for so long and they should cancel it. The Weekend Update is the only thing worth watching. They rarely produce anyone funny anymore. Will Farrell was great, but the material givin to him was crap too, only after he left did his talent begin to shine.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Last Saturday's SNL had to be one of the worst of the past few years that I've seen. I don't know what it is but every few years they seem to bring in a bunch of new cast members who suck realy, really bad. I'm usually not in on Saturday nights to watch it live and last weeks veiw was enough to remind me why.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Haven't watched it in years...usually falling asleep watching the late hockey game at that time.

martini

Cyburbian
I agree with DH. The only reason I watch is Tina Fey. Yummy! Otherwise, its only ok and occaisionally garners a smirk from me.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'd rather watch reruns on Comedy Central. The show has lost it.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think the reason for the sucking is that they're trying to appeal to younger viewers, maybe to compete with Mad TV (it shouldn't be too hard to compete with Mad TV). The new cast members are younger than ever, the skits are stupider and the musical guests and hosts are increasingly teeny-bopper oriented. They probably figured out that the ratings will be good if Justin Timberlake is on, no matter how funny the skits are.

And, man, the only thing funny about Horatio Sanz is that he's fat!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
DecaturHawk said:
Tina Fey.
Here here. Well, not the wholescale condemnation of SNL, but just the mention of Tina Fey.

I'll be gentle, and say this season is off to a slow start. Even the Not Ready For Prime Time Players put out some bad shows. The cast does have a certain chemistry that I haven't seen since the 1970s, but I wish it could be tapped more. How to do that, I don't know.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have a few skits on my computer but I guess they're not really recent... But I do feel that they've gotten less and less funnier. Kindda like The Simpsons...

I liked it before, but sadly many of the funniest guys there were are now dead (ie Chris Farley).

I hope they get better. :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I haven't watched the show in years because the comedy, if anyone can call it that, is very stale! The current cast is unfunny and I think the show has out-lived its creativity.

Last edited:

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
At least they've ditched Colin Quinn--he's probably the most unfunny cast member that has ever been on the show.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
have not watched in a long time.
usually a sleep or reading.

H

Cyburbian
I missed it Sat. but yes, it has gotten pretty bad as of late. It is too bad also because 2 years ago it was hilarious. It just goes in cycles. It will be funny again soon.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I'm on the "it goes in cycles" bandwagon. I've been watching SNL regularly since the early 80's (not as much recently, but I still watch 3 or 4 per season), and it does seem to have its ups and downs.

Right now it does seem to be in a slump. A few exceptions are Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, that African American girl (I forget her name, but she plays Christina Aguilera and Donatella Versace hilariously), and once in a long while, Jimmy Fallon. Most of the top guys who were on it seem to have quit in the last season or two.

I think that once all the newer people start to generate a little more chemistry, things will improve. Maybe a writing overhaul would help, but who can say? It's been around so long, people will always expect it to be funny "like it used to be". Everyone wants the next Wayne's World or Coneheads or (insert your favorite skit here), but everything gets old. By the time Wayne's World 2 came out, I was getting pretty tired of the schwing thing.

Overall, I think Lorne Michaels can still make it work. He just has to remember some of the old desires to break into new territory. That's where the funny is, as opposed to some tired formula that is generated by studying demographics.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
But I do feel that they've gotten less and less funnier. Kindda like The Simpsons...
-Whoa!!!! I hope you just didn't say that. The Simpsons keep on getting funnier with what they're working with (& with age). Just like fine wine or whiskey.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
ilikefish0 said:
At least they've ditched Colin Quinn--he's probably the most unfunny cast member that has ever been on the show.
I agree with that statement. Also, I think Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon news team makes the show. To me, the worst seasons were the Anthony Michael Hall/Robert Downey years.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
-Whoa!!!! I hope you just didn't say that. The Simpsons keep on getting funnier with what they're working with (& with age). Just like fine wine or whiskey.
Like Huston said...It goes on cycles... and The Simpsons, until lately where going through an unfunny cycle IMHO.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Like Huston said...It goes on cycles... and The Simpsons, until lately where going through an unfunny cycle IMHO.
-I don't know about that, they've been the one thing thats remained consistant.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I stopped watching after the canteen boy skits.

I saw nothing funny whatsoever with a skit in which a pedofile scoutmaster tries to seduce one of the scouts. I think I have watched a handfull of times in the last 7 years. It always seems to make me sick when they show the kid who is a brat (tall skinny guy) and the woman who plays the mother and they bother everyone. Its on every damn time I'v tried to watch.

Mad tv was funny this weekend when they spoofed oprah with the jackass show.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
LIVE from the the Los Angeles Basin its ... FRIDAYS!

Slightly OT: How many people here are old enough to remember Fridays, the SNL clone that ran on ABC between 1980 and 1982? It was MUCH better than the SNL of that era, IMHO. A bit too much drug humor, but still way more creative and edgier than SNL then.

The Rasta Chef:
"Do you eat it? No no no!
Do you drink it? No no no!
Do you smoke it? Yes yes yes!"

"TAKE A PILL!"

The Mexican DJ, Battle Boy, Lounge Lizard Dick, Diner of the Living Dead, Women Who Spit, The Brotherhood of Man Who Hum Between Words, Andy Kaufman, and GREAT musicial acts like Devo, The Cars, KISS, Wendy Williams and the Plasmatics, Pat Benatar, and The Pretenders.

Can't forget Melanie Chartoff, the Tina Fey of the 1980s.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: LIVE from the the Los Angeles Basin its ... FRIDAYS!

Dan said:
Slightly OT: How many people here are old enough to remember Fridays, the SNL clone that ran on ABC between 1980 and 1982? It was MUCH better than the SNL of that era, IMHO. A bit too much drug humor, but still way more creative and edgier than SNL them..
Didn't Michael Richards (Kramer on Seinfeld) get his start on that show?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Re: LIVE from the the Los Angeles Basin its ... FRIDAYS!

DecaturHawk said:
Didn't Michael Richards (Kramer on Seinfeld) get his start on that show?
Yuppers. He was Battle Boy.

Hey, there's a link with a mpg!

I wanna know who are the 2 people who voted that this season is the best it's ever been. Crawl out from under your rocks and defend your vote!!!!! ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Not me, I'm usually out somewhere more interesting. SNL has just gotten sad, or I've gotten old. One or the other is inevitable, can't remember which....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I voted to put it out of it's unfunny misery, but I believe the program can live if they get funnier again...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Few people know that Saturday Night Live is aired in Europe. Here's a couple of screenshots.

From France

From the UK

:D

Rem

Cyburbian
It's not on free to air in Australia, but I assume it is on Pay TV (I haven't succumbed to pay TV yet). While I don't really know about it, it seems to be an "in" show. That is, it is often referred to by interviewees as a source of inspiration or where 'I got my start' sort of thing - the interviewer will nod knowlingly and the "in" folks will say 'yeah, SNL, yeah'.

Lots of good shows hang on too long though. MASH was great IMO before it became a soap box, for example.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We can get SNL in Cable TV though the Sony channel.. but I don't have cable anymore.. it's useless to pay for seeing one movie 3 times a day...

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
What makes or breaks SNL are the hosts. Lately they have been having a lot of no-talent floozie TV trash like Lindsay Lohan and Kelly Ripa. Michaels wouldn't have touched this garbage 20 years ago but now he has clearly sold out by catering to the Oprah/Kathie Lee crowd.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ok... since this mummy thread was revived...
For all this year I've had cable TV in the apartment in which I'm renting a room; I do get to see SNL with a few months of delay (i.e. Superbowl's Janet flash in June/July when that happened in February if I'm not mistaken)...

There are a few "modern" classics from the Farley era (see avatar) which are good anyways....

Oh well... next year I won't have TV again; but I'll have my PC w/o internet though; but I do have some snl skits saved there....

teshadoh

Suspended Bad Email Address
One big problem is the boring guest hosts - what happened to guest hosts that were funny? But, the show has gone up & down since the first season, a few seasons are good, then a long period of dullness. Still, there are every now & then a few bright moments, among them are provided by Will Forte & Fred Armisen, as well as Rachel Dratch. Will Forte's Bush impersonation is dead on: "Being the president is HARD work. You sometimes have to show up on Saturdays!"

But it gets down to what your humour level is, some people love Kids In The Hall (I do), others have never heard of it or could care less. I consider Adam Sandler one of the unfunniest men on earth, & didn't care much for Spade or Farley too much.

The One

Cyburbian
Fantastic Show

Dan said:
Slightly OT: How many people here are old enough to remember Fridays, the SNL clone that ran on ABC between 1980 and 1982? It was MUCH better than the SNL of that era, IMHO. A bit too much drug humor, but still way more creative and edgier than SNL then.

The Rasta Chef:
"Do you eat it? No no no!
Do you drink it? No no no!
Do you smoke it? Yes yes yes!"

"TAKE A PILL!"

The Mexican DJ, Battle Boy, Lounge Lizard Dick, Diner of the Living Dead, Women Who Spit, The Brotherhood of Man Who Hum Between Words, Andy Kaufman, and GREAT musicial acts like Devo, The Cars, KISS, Wendy Williams and the Plasmatics, Pat Benatar, and The Pretenders.

Can't forget Melanie Chartoff, the Tina Fey of the 1980s.

Of course...this was a GREAT SHOW.....Sad when it was taken off the air......Battle Boy was the best ever......I wish I could find this on DVD.....
First two years of Mad TV were very good as well..... :-D

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Not much interest left since Jimmy Falon left...the new skit with he and Tina Fay was my favorite...the show just isnt funny anymore

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Let me chime in with others, the show has gone through really good periods and some dry patches too. I confess nowadays I might watch it maybe two or three times a year, but whenever I do I generally find some funny skits on every show. Even during the Golden Age of SNL with Belushi, Ackroyd, Chevy Chase, Radner, etc. they had a surprising number of decidedly unfunny skits during really 'great' seasons. And even during some bad seasons there have been skits which have been laugh out loud funny. Clearly the show's merit is tied to the writing more than any other single factor.
Hmm, maybe I should send in a sample script and see if Lorne Michaels would give me a job writing for SNL....I have this great idea for a PlannerGeek skit starring the short spunky Tina Fey....

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Yeah, I TRIED to watch it last Saturday, but it was just too painful. After 40 minutes without cracking a smile, I had to give up.

I know SNL goes through its phases, but this crappy phase has been lasting an awfully long time.

And get some decent hosts & musicians! Personally, I'm a big fan of them putting politicians on to host.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
debbie_downer.gif

They do have a good cast, but something isn't clicking this year.

Weekend Update is always pretty good.

Debbie Downer is pretty decent. Meooooooooow meooooooooow! (edit: there really is a Debby Downer!)

Horatio Sanz can't seem to keep a straight face in any skit. He's funny, but c'mon ...

otterpop

Cyburbian
I still watch it. Been watching it since its first episode, even through those really awful days in the 80s. There have been some awful unfunny cast members - Nora Dunn, Robin Duke, and Jim Belushi, to name a few. There have been talented members who I didn't care for - Chevy Chase, Chris Kattan and Adam Sandler, for example. There have been talented members who were awful in their SNL stint but great afterwards (Chris Rock). And great members who didn't get the credit they deserved, most notably Christopher Guest.

And then there were the great ones - Belushi, Ackroyd, Radner, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Phil Hartman, Carvey, Fallon, Fey, and others

I will probably continue to watch until it is finally cancelled. Awful at times. But still a few gems among the mundane every season. Only political comedy you are likely to see. Weekend Update is worth it. I no longer get a lot of the cultrual references but then I guess I am too old now.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
No matter how bad it gets, it will never be worse than it was during the Cheri Oteri / Molly Shannon years. That was like ripping out toenails. The same unfunny skits over and over and over every week. Couldn't even be bothered to come up with new unfunny skits.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
"Cyburbia, you ignorant slut."

(If you are old enuf to figure out that paraphrase, you know when SNL ruled.)

Bear In The Blender

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
"Cyburbia, you ignorant slut."

(If you are old enuf to figure out that paraphrase, you know when SNL ruled.)

Bear In The Blender
Would that blender be a "Bass-o-matic '76"? (One of my favorite skits)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Among Dan Aykroyd better product endorsements.

Don't forget him as Irwin Mainway, the manufacturer of several dangerous products.