• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Democrat Filed Narrows...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Can we all agree that Dean has imploded? Sure, he placed third in four states - Arizona, Deleware, New Mexico and North Dakota - but does that really mean anything? Sharpton garnered more votes in South Carolina and Lieberman out-polled him in Oklahoma. After finishing third in Iowa and New Hampshire he had to withhold pay from his staff for two weeks (and liberals complain about Wal-Mart!) while he searched for more money. He's done.

Edwards and Clark are more interesting. Each won a single state, and if you average all of their rankings in the seven primaries, they end up tied. Clark did better in the west while Edwards did better in the south and northeast. Clark also finished second three times while Edwards was the runner-up second two times. Of course, Edwards has run in every primary, where Clark sat it out. All-in-all, there is no clear number two candidate....

Which, of course, brings us to the clear winner. Kerry, after taking Iowa and New Hampshire, has added Arizona, Delaware, Missouri, New Mexico and North Dakota to his list of first place finishes. Seven states for Kerry. One for Clark. One for Edwards. At his worst, Kerry came in third in Oklahoma. He picked up just under 27% of the vote there, while both Clark and Edwards, who finished first or second, received less than 30% of the vote.

OK, Cyburbia, is the primary season over? How long before Dean, Edwards, Clark, and Sharpton concede? Are they only in the race to "run for vice-president?" Are we ready to admit that Kerry is our next president?

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Actually, it's beginning to look like my predictions were correct. I maintain that the frontrunners will continue to be Kerry and Edwards, with Clark struggling and Dean nipping at all of their heels like a small rabid dog. The Democratic ticket will likely turn out to be either Kerry - Edwards, or Kerry - Clark. Not that I'll be voting Democrat, but it's still important to me. Because I'm a nerd.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Clark won Oklahoma, and came in second in Arizona and North Dakota. This will definitely breathe new life into his campaign.

As expected, Edwards won South Carolina, but the big surprise: Al Sharpton got 10% of the vote! He beat Dean 2:1! Now, if The Kooch beats Dean in ... oh, Ohio, he's toast.

Dean almsot seems reflective of the late 1990s era dot com; a lot of startup funds, which were burned through early in the game. He doesn't have the funding to go on, and his supporters, the equivalent of venture capitalists, probably won't give him more if they aren't likely to see a return from their investment -- his victory in the primary.

Folks, meet the next president.

Wait ... wrong image.

Kerry can beat Bush. Massachusetts liberal, perhaps, but he's a veteran, and will appeal to moderate voters in states with a large military presence (Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Georgia, South Carolina). Democrats are angry, as are many conservationist Republicans and fiscal conservatives, but whether those same angry voters are the ones who will turn out in the November elections remains to be seen.

The trump card: Osama bin Ladin. If bin Ladin is captured within two weeks of the election, it'll probably push swing states towards Bush. After all, it's not the US military that captured bin Ladin, but Bush -- at least in the minds of some voters. To go into tinfoil hat mode, I woudn't doubt that the administration knows exactly where he is, and will arrange capture just before the election.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Kerry can't win against Bush.

He's like Gore redux, a plastic stick in front of the camera.

The democrats are doing it again, picking the "safe" candidate, and in the process, shooting themselves in the foot.

metroboi

Cyburbian
jordanb said:

The democrats are doing it again, picking the "safe" candidate, and in the process, shooting themselves in the foot.

I completely agree with that statement. Kerry represents the Democratic establishment that has long lost touch with the average voter. (remember we have not only a Republican president, but both houses of congress are Republican) And I don't believe that Kerry has ever really faced a difficult election whereas at least Edwards unseated an incumbant Republican, who had the full support of the Jessie Helm's political machinery behind him. A very nasty election which is what the Democratic challenger is going to face with Bush.

Dean unfortunately shot himself in the foot several times most notibly by that Confederate flag remark which turned people on both sides of that issue against him. And with SC being a pivotal state early in the election and still smarting from the Confederate flag debacle, Dean should not have gone there. That is why he did so poorly.

While I am a bit biased, I believe this election is going to be decided in the South as a successful challenger to Bush is going to have to take a few of these states away from him. Edwards stands the best chance of doing this.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
:-0

jordanb said:

Huh?

Kerry is a much better speaker than Gore ever was. And the claim that Kerry can't beat Bush just doesn't seem grounded in anything but opinion. Why can't he? There is a huge undecided portion of the electorate in this country and to say Kerry or any Democratic candidate has no shot at beating Bush is premature. And even if the Democratic candidate does not beat Bush in November, how many will settle for the Democrats at least winning the House or Senate? If Bush wins again in November and the Democrats take control of at least the House or Senate, I will be a happy Democrat. This country needs more parity.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sen. John Kerry can defeat President Bush in November. It is still the economy, stupid and while the President gets a "pass" for the economic downturn worsened by terrorism Americans are not now universally enjoying what is otherwise a strong economic recovery (jobs), and for that the President does not enjoy a "pass".

For all of our professing that we are concerned about issue X, we still vote our pocketbooks. If the economy does not catch fire, Bush is toast, IMHO.

el Guapo

Capitalist
As a republican who wishes the democratic candidate a humiliating loss in the 2004 election, I would like to sincerely thank your party for at least eliminating Weasel Clark from the list of potential candidates. This observation is based upon the slim to none chances he has at a gaining the nomination now. Well, John Kerry could say something arrogant and ultra liberal that would offend the majority in this nation, but he won’t say anything like that until after he is elected. (If he is elected)

I think I could live far easier under a president Kerry, Edwards or even a Joe Lieberman than the Weasel. He is an unabashed Clintonite and it shows in his being on all 16 sides of any issue. I wish you (the Barbara Collective) had picked Lieberman because of all the democrats he is the one that seems to be the most genuine, and thus the one thinking republicans could have lived under without chaffing too much.

Your pals on the left will soon lock up the nomination for Kerry and then you will be witness to a huge 180 by the press when they decide that John’s personal life is now fair game. They are holding back now. Once he has the nomination the canned reporting gets opened. Remember that one they pulled on Bush Jr.? They had that one in the deep freeze for some time. The used it when it was most damaging. They will begin to crucify Kerry right after the democratic convention in Boston this July. Until then he will be the media darling. The press desires to be the spoiler and nothing more.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter

From el Guapo:

:y > > > > > Your pals on the left will soon lock up the nomination for Kerry and then you will be witness to a huge 180 by the press when they decide that John’s personal life is now fair game. They are holding back now. Once he has the nomination the canned reporting gets opened. Remember that one? They will begin to crucify him right after the democratic convention in Boston this July.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
The trump card: Osama bin Ladin. If bin Ladin is captured within two weeks of the election, it'll probably push swing states towards Bush. After all, it's not the US military that captured bin Ladin, but Bush -- at least in the minds of some voters. To go into tinfoil hat mode, I wouldn’t doubt that the administration knows exactly where he is, and will arrange capture just before the election.

Dan
Would you leftists please make up your mind? Either he is too stupid to live and a puppet of Halliburton or he is an evil genius running a fascist organization bent on global hegemony. He can't choke like a turkey in a rainstorm on a pretzel while watching a football game AND have Osama on Ice with total secrecy in Git Mo. Bin Laden is not waiting to be flown to Boston's Logan Airport and put on an airplane with a box cutter, where he will be wrestled to the ground by a blue eyed republican oil worker from Huston on his way to visit his 4 children and his wife a scant two weeks before the election. Hell, the intelligence failures you bewail that were his basis for going to war ARE a great case for the fact that as a nation we can't find or keep a secret. WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP THAT BIG OF A SECRET.

Please just pick one nut-job theory.
;-)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Wanigas? - Use your search engine. You will find I have a decent track record of predictions. Make some yourself. It is fun. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
...Kerry is a much better speaker than Gore ever was...

Definitely. Although Kerry's just as wealthy, he does a better job at relating to the "common man," especially since he's not the vice-incumbant. Remember in the 2000 debates when Gore walked up to Bush and stared at him? That was just plain stupid - much worse than the Dean Scream in my opinion.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Dan
Would you leftists please make up your mind? Either he is too stupid to live and a puppet of Halliburton or he is an evil genius running a fascist organization bent on global hegemony. He can't choke like a turkey in a rainstorm on a pretzel while watching a football game AND have Osama on Ice with total secrecy in Git Mo. Bin Laden is not waiting to be flown to Boston's Logan Airport and put on an airplane with a box cutter, where he will be wrestled to the ground by a blue eyed republican oil worker from Huston on his way to visit his 4 children and his wife a scant two weeks before the election. Hell, the intelligence failures you bewail that were his basis for going to war ARE a great case for the fact that as a nation we can't find or keep a secret. WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP THAT BIG OF A SECRET.

Please just pick one nut-job theory.
;-)

Oh, my poor misguided friend...

Of course the Halliburton Presidential Cabal has Osama in custody. The extra $16 million they charged for gas in Iraq was not mere graft, but payment for his capture. Does Bush know? Certainly not. He can't be trusted with important information any more than he can be trusted to make an important decision. He is nothing but a figurehead for Cheney, Rumsfeld and the other puppeteers. A short while before the election the terror alert level will be raised to remind Americans that we are at war and we need to gather round the flag to re-elect our hero president. Osama's capture will be anounced by a jubilant president from atop an A-1 Abrahms tank, dressed as a U.S Army Ranger. A new provision to the Patriot Act will allow the administration to sweep up everyone, including US citizens, that it deems a threat to American freedom. Without trial or even any notification that it has done so, these terrorists, including John Kerry and a good part of Cyburbia, will simply disappear into some secret government camp. Bush will be annouced as the winner of the election, and the voting will commence.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Cardinal said:
Oh, my poor misguided friend...

Of course the Halliburton Presidential Cabal has Osama in custody. The extra $16 million they charged for gas in Iraq was not mere graft, but payment for his capture. Does Bush know? Certainly not. He can't be trusted with important information any more than he can be trusted to make an important decision. He is nothing but a figurehead for Cheney, Rumsfeld and the other puppeteers. A short while before the election the terror alert level will be raised to remind Americans that we are at war and we need to gather round the flag to re-elect our hero president. Osama's capture will be anounced by a jubilant president from atop an A-1 Abrahms tank, dressed as a U.S Army Ranger. A new provision to the Patriot Act will allow the administration to sweep up everyone, including US citizens, that it deems a threat to American freedom. Without trial or even any notification that it has done so, these terrorists, including John Kerry and a good part of Cyburbia, will simply disappear into some secret government camp. Bush will be annouced as the winner of the election, and the voting will commence.

[tin foil hat]Well if that is the case, you commie planners best start kissing the conservative planner's rumps right now. Maybe, if we like you now, before we become Kamp guards, and after we rat you out to His Ashcroftness, we might let you have an extra bread ration or a smoke.

I'll bet a Reichsdollar Pru-Diddy is going to send Dan to the box his first night in Kamp Reagan on account of his failure to communicate. [/tin foil hat]

(I know, concentration camps are nothing to joke about.)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
A new provision to the Patriot Act will allow the administration to sweep up everyone, including US citizens, that it deems a threat to American freedom. Without trial or even any notification that it has done so, these terrorists, including John Kerry and a good part of Cyburbia, will simply disappear into some secret government camp.

- Two words, Waco, Texas.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I hope the Deomcratic nominee can beat Dubya. I think a lot can depend on what the American body count in Iraq is come November. At the current rate (1+ American soldiers/day), George might have a hard time getting reelected if 1,000-1,500 brave Americans come home dead, much less the thousands permanantly disabled. President Bush avoided going to Vietnam by joining the Texas Air National Guard, but has no problem disrupting the lives of thousands of National Guardsmen for a year or more by sending them to Irag. Every week some of those men and women give their lives. Kerry went to Vietnam when he was called. George flew jets in Texas. Though I must admit when George was keeping the skies of Texas safe, not a single Viet Cong jet strafed Crawford, Dallas or Austin.

Bangorian

Dan said:
The trump card: Osama bin Ladin. If bin Ladin is captured within two weeks of the election, it'll probably push swing states towards Bush. After all, it's not the US military that captured bin Ladin, but Bush -- at least in the minds of some voters. To go into tinfoil hat mode, I woudn't doubt that the administration knows exactly where he is, and will arrange capture just before the election.

I've been suspecting the same for a long, long time.

The Irish One

If Osama Bin Laden is picked up within a month before election, In the realm of politics, that is very possible. Our intellegence has got to have his general where abouts, say a 25 mile radius. imho

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Dan said:
To go into tinfoil hat mode, I woudn't doubt that the administration knows exactly where he is, and will arrange capture just before the election.

...they just filmed the capture about 2 weeks with the team that filmed Jessica Lynch's rescue. i hear that that film team is going to be up for a golden globe next year...

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I don't know why some of you (Republicans) think Kerry is ultra-liberal. That's just a tag leftover from the Dukakis race. Kerry is a pretty moderate Democrat-- supports free trade agreements, voted for the Iraq war, welfare reform, etc. I do think he can beat Bush. Whenever someone calls Kerry a liberal, I think he can hit back as a patriot and mention his military service.

I think it's only a Kerry - Edwards race at this point and will probably be over by the end of February. I don't think Kerry will pick Edwards as VP, maybe Gov. Richardson of New Mexico, who is Hispanic, former Ambassador to UN, Congressman and Energy Sec'y. He's very impressive.