• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Fraternals

Zenith

Cyburbian
Fraternal = almost alike or similar in characteristics.

Fraternal towers can be either twins, triplets or quads. Often they provide great public spaces @ their bases or within them. If other Cyburnanites know of others please post pics and/or comments.

First stop Sarajevo. The UNIS Tower Twins were completed in 1987. (nicknamed "Momo & Uzeir" for Serbs and Muslims):

The Deutsche Bank Twins in Frankfurt. Completed in 1984, they're known as 'Credit & Debit' by the locals.

____

________

Tours Societe Generale, mirroring each other in Paris. Completed in 1995.

Let's jump to Philadelphia to Liberty Place Towers 1 (1987) & 2 (1990)

No. 1 decided to go this way...hello ther Chrysler influence ;-)

...and No. 2 went thisa-way:

____

Let's meet 1 & 2, side by side:

_

A wonderful aerial showing their proximity to each other:

The wonderful metropolis of Hong Kong provided The 1988 Lippo Centre fraternals. Also known as the "Koala Buildings" as they remind us of koalas climing trees from behind with their paws.

***Part 2 in this thread from moi will concentrate on Aussie fraternals.

simulcra

i'm crying more because american architecture is going the way of blandness, and the pictures of hong kong, paris, and germany reminded me of this fact.

BKM

Cyburbian
I don't know. Sometimes simple forms are better than weird protrusions and pointlessness.

My favorite, surprisingly, was the French pair. Don't report me to HS, please :)

Zenith

Cyburbian
@ Solipsa, I can understand the pics of the Deuetsce Bank frateranals being considered bland, but I can't imagine anything like the Lippo Centre fraternals of Hong Kong in either the U.S. or Canada.

@ Cardinal, it's not just about skyscrapers. Like even identical twins, triplets etc, they often have very interesting public spaces created and also affect the surrounding streetscapes....therefore has nuch to do with urban planning. :-\ Think about it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
here's some quads for you from Chicago's West Loop:

The Presidential Towers - an enronmous market-rate highrise apartment complex

This thing is huge. It has four identical towers on a large base. It's all rental apartments and probably has spectacular views of the Westside.

Last edited:

jresta

Cyburbian
when i was in Chicago back in May i went on the little boat tour of the river and lake and the guide pointed to one of the bigger buildings downtown and said "it's the only skyscraper modeled on the Chrysler Bldg." My girlfriend and i both said "you've obviously never been to Philly" at the same time. He turned away from the mic and said "you have one like this?"

Two Prudential in Chicago (the smaller one in the fore is One Pru)

Liberty One in Philly

Prudential and Liberty look more like each other than either looks like the Chrysler Bldg - IMHO

boiker

Cyburbian
jresta said:
when i was in Chicago back in May i went on the little boat tour of the river and lake and the guide pointed to one of the bigger buildings downtown and said .......
Linky is bad?

anyway, I agree with you.. i know both buildings both similar. perhaps from the same "Menard's!" plan book? ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've always wanted the Providence Westin to get a twin tower - it's been proposed but I'm not sure if thats still in the works.

The twin tower concept just depends on the quality of the building. 2 bland rectangles over a city won't be a good feature.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zenith, Great post! Can't wait for Part 2. Sorry it took so long to get the responses going.

The Irish One

Twins in San Diego

I was in and around downtown San Diego today and wow there were all of these fraternals on the same street. This is all in a very exclusive part of downtown San Diego. I would really like a condo but they start at about 500,000 so that's not going to happen.

These are the exclusive Harbor Club twins or something like that.

The Hyatt twins

The Marriotts

Very upper class condos

Some more upper crust condos