• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The French Fries Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This was our dinner on Thursday night. Just a big ass bowl of fries.

View attachment 25270
I've been meaning to try Five Guys, but heard their food was mediocre and overpriced. Those fries, however, look pretty good. In fact, they look just like the fries I had at Penn Station last week (and those, for the record, are good fries in my book).

New thread.....Let's face facts, French fries are their own food group (located under the FDA's USRDA guidelines between fruits and pizza). NO ONE dislikes the taste of fries.

How often do you cook fries at home? Do you bake a bag of Ore Ida's or do you do it right and actually fry them?
Which restaurant has the second best fries - that is who (other than McDonalds) makes the best fries?
Does anyone still do it Old School, and slice up their own potatoes and stick 'em in a deep fryer?
Lastly, what condiments do you like with your fries? Ketchup? Malt vinegar? Mayo? Italian dressing? BBQ sauce?

Image result for french fries
Image result for curly french fries
Image result for waffle french fries

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've been meaning to try Five Guys, but heard their food was mediocre and overpriced. Those fries, however, look pretty good. In fact, they look just like the fries I had at Penn Station last week (and those, for the record, are good fries in my book).
Ask for them "well done". You might wait a little longer, but that's the key to great fries from Five Guys.

I'm a big fan of Arby's curly fries, and Chick-Fil-A waffle cut fries. Unfortunately, Chick-Fil-A locations are few and far between in upstate New York, so they're more of a special treat when I'm out of town. Shake Shack also has pretty good fries, but it's another chain that sees NYS north of Westchester County as "THEYR BE DRAGYNS THEYR" territory when they're doing site selection.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Haven't had any fries in nearly a year - too many carbs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Arby's, McDonalds, Checkers, and Chick-Fil-A are the top fry providers. I think I put Chick-Fil-A at the bottom of that list though. Sometimes the larger waffle fries are just too big and it's more potato at one time than you really need.

I make them occasionally. Usually baked in the oven. Easier and definitely less mess.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I make them occasionally. Usually baked in the oven. Easier and definitely less mess.
You've hit on something...the mess. Frying undeniably has more hassle associated with it than simply turning the oven to 450 and spreading out a bag of frozen fries on a cookie sheet. This is probably a good thing, because if frying and the cleanup were any easier, many of us would probably have had heart attacks already.

Of the bagged varieties available in the freezer section at the grocery store, I like Rallies seasoned fries. Those 'Grown in Idaho' (you know, the brand that had the commercial with the Idaho potato farmer inside the freezer section) fries might be the best in the Bagged Variety category.

Image result for idaho frozen steak fries
Image result for idaho frozen steak fries

MD Planner

Cyburbian
On that note, has anyone actually tried one of those air fryers? Do they work? Is the food crispy?

DVD

Cyburbian
In-N-Out has the best fries. We're talking old school potato cut into fries and fried. Can't beat it - especially if you go animal style.

We still fry the things at home. Who the hell would bake fries?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a great method of oven baked fried and often do them at home - toss them in oil and salt and pepper, put in roasting pan at 425 degrees, toss carefully with a flipper spatula every 15 mintues, at the 30 minute mark, shake some Worcestershire sauce or balsamic or apple cider vinegar over them, flip again, and turn the heat down to 350 and in another 30 minutes, they are done - put on plate with paper towels.

Five Guys has the best fries but I do like McDonald's crack fries - do not like Arby's or Burger King fries

Elevation Burger fries are okay

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In terms of condiments, I probably go with ketchup 85% of the time, but on occasion - particularly when feasting upon thicker steak fries and the like - I will use malt vinegar, or even Uncle Bob's (Appalachian vinegar-based style) BBQ sauce.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I hadn't had any fries in a while. However, this Saturday, I stopped by a local burger chain and had some with a sandwich. As I remember, McDonalds fries were pretty addictive. Chick's waffle cut ones are pretty good as well. As for condiments, I stick with catsup. Don't out neighbors to the North use gravy?

Planit

Cyburbian
Five Guys fries are great.

I try not to eat French fries & didn't for a year or 2. now I'll have them once or twice a week.

Over the past several years, I've lost my taste for ketchup...just don't like it that much anymore. My go to for condiments are bbq sauce or blue cheese dressing. I did like the gravy or brown sauce from the UK.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Haven't had any fries in nearly a year - too many carbs.
And that's why we said in the future, we were only going to do the bowl o' fries just once a year. My wife leads a healthier lifestyle than me, but still, we both have to be careful of our indulgences.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've been to Five Guys twice and found their burgers to be, yes, mediocre and overpriced. I didn't have fries though.

If I'm hankerin' for fries, I go straight to Arby's for the curly fries. We have some good fries sides at several of our local independent restaurants and I'd go to them next.

For other corporate chains, I like BK's fries, but you have to eat them hot/warm, because once they cool...blech...which is true for most fries.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
McDonald's has the best straight fries. Wendy's are also pretty decent, thicker with a bit of potato skin on the ends.

BK fries suck, mostly because they are coated fries so they stay fake crispy when they aren't fresh.

The secret to good home cooked french fries is russet potatoes, sliced and soaked in water for 2 hours to remove starch, drain on paper towels. Heat oil to 300-325F and fry in small batches for 3-4 minutes until soft but not brown, remove and drain on paper towels. Increase oil heat to 375F and fry again.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
In terms of condiments, I probably go with ketchup 85% of the time, but on occasion - particularly when feasting upon thicker steak fries and the like - I will use malt vinegar, or even Uncle Bob's (Appalachian vinegar-based style) BBQ sauce.
In a previous town I worked in, they had a restaurant that had awesome fries but their homemade sauces were amazing - my favorite was this sesame mayo, it sounds disgusting but it was so awesome - they also had a great curry ketchup

MD Planner

Cyburbian
McDonald's are the best "standard" fries. As long as they are cooked long enough. When I do get them I always ask for no salt. That way I'm sure to get nice and hot ones. Chick-fil-a are also pretty good. I'm not a fan of curly fries and I agree that BK are the worst. Really any "coated" fry is terrible. I sometimes like to dip a fresh hot fry in my vanilla milkshake. Weird but I like it.

kms

Cyburbian
I went to McDonald’s for lunch and the fries aren’t good. They’re pale and kind of dry. I didn’t finish them.

I prefer fresh cut fries, fried twice.

My high school had good fries. They were shoestring cut, golden colored and had the texture of baked potatoes. I remember them decades later, and haven’t had any like them since.

I don’t like fries that are coated with seasoning and starch mix. If you have to use those, you don’t know how to cook fries.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We rarely cook fries a home. We like them but it's just not something we bother with too often.

I did have fries as my primary dish for lunch today - I had to drive across town to pick up a gift for my wife's birthday at a totally foreign Target and saw there was a location of a local-to-me bar near the Target. The bar specializes in sliders and has great seafood poutine so I stopped in for a bite. Fries topped in shrimp and lobster and cheese curds! I'm ready for a nap now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
On that note, has anyone actually tried one of those air fryers? Do they work? Is the food crispy?
I want to bump this because there were no responses and I too am curious how those air fryer things work out.

zman

Cyburbian
Love using the airfryer for fries and tots. Our capacity is low and with two growing hungry boys, it takes a couple batches, but it is my favorite way of cooking up frozen fries.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I want to bump this because there were no responses and I too am curious how those air fryer things work out.

I got an air fryer for my birthday and have yet to successfully use it. Each try has either been underdone or overdone. I'm not that bad of a cook.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
zman said:
Love using the airfryer for fries and tots. Our capacity is low and with two growing hungry boys, it takes a couple batches, but it is my favorite way of cooking up frozen fries.
I got an air fryer for my birthday and have yet to successfully use it. Each try has either been underdone or overdone. I'm not that bad of a cook.
So, one thumbs up and one thumbs down so far.

I don't know, kitchen space is a premium in our house and if we're going introduce another gadget into the house I want to make sure it's going to get fairly regular use. Z sounds like it works fine for him but batch sizes are small, and CM sounds like she's only used it a few times and hasn't mastered it yet. That, or the things are just not very intuitive and/or temperamental. So far, I'm leaning towards 'no' on a new air fryer purchase.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I had the s.o., who is a good cook, try it and he failed too. I felt frustrated enough to put it in a high cabinet, but not frustrated enough to banish it to the basement. I'm working up the courage to try chicken in it.

Batch sizes are small in mine.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I had the s.o., who is a good cook, try it and he failed too. I felt frustrated enough to put it in a high cabinet, but not frustrated enough to banish it to the basement. I'm working up the courage to try chicken in it.

Batch sizes are small in mine.
My inlaws described not getting a very even cook on their fries. Is this what you experienced? I wouldn't throw in the towel yet on your unit as I'm sure there's a learning curve involved here (plus, we can go to school on your experiences).

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a good method for making oven fries that I love to do

A good cast iron skillet is your friend for frying anything

I don't have an air thingy

Five Guys makes the best chain restaurant fries

Independent restaurants - there's a couple of Maine restaurants that make exceptional fries that don't come out of a Sysco bag

I love ketchup without high fructose corn syrup but this restaurant in Maine got me using this sauce of homemade mayo and sesame seeds - it sounds disgusting, I know, but it's so good - I also like malt vinegar!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a good method for making oven fries that I love

We busted out our cast iron skillet this past weekend, and have vowed to use it more often. Fries would be an ideal thing to make with it. Cast iron is supposed to be good for browning things and frying bacon too.

kms

Cyburbian
I have a good method for making oven fries that I love

I don't have an air thingy

Five Guys makes the best chain restaurant fries

Independent restaurants - there's a couple of Maine restaurants that make exceptional fries that don't come out of a Sysco bag
Me, too.
Agree, or a cast iron Dutch oven.
I don’t have an air thingy, either.
Agree.
Same here.

You sure made that easy. 😊

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love ketchup without high fructose corn syrup but this restaurant in Maine got me using this sauce of homemade mayo and sesame seeds - it sounds disgusting, I know, but it's so good - I also like malt vinegar!
Actually, putting mayo on fries, I understand, is not uncommon in Europe.

Planit

Cyburbian
We normal bake the Ore-Ida frozen fries.

I like either bbq sauce or blue cheese dressing with my fries. I've also mixed blue cheese & a hot sauce (Texas Pete, Tabasco, Crystal or Siracha) too. Tasty!

Bubba

Cyburbian
I've also mixed blue cheese & a hot sauce (Texas Pete, Tabasco, Crystal or Siracha) too. Tasty!
At my former firm, there was a cafe across the street I would hit for lunch once or twice a month - I tended to mix hot sauce and ketchup to go with their fries.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
My inlaws described not getting a very even cook on their fries. Is this what you experienced? I wouldn't throw in the towel yet on your unit as I'm sure there's a learning curve involved here (plus, we can go to school on your experiences).
I think we tried onion rings (me) and sweet potato fries (once alone, once w/him). Not even is one way to describe it. The pic is from my first attempt.

Attachments

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There is a food trailer that shows up at events such as fairs, 4th of July, car shows, and a few others events in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan called Norm's Famous French Fries. They without question have the best fries on the planet.

They only sell fries and cans of soda... nothing else... but the line on a busy day can be 1 1/2 to 2 hours long to get the fries and people will often buy multiple servings at a time. They are served in a code and the side table outside the trailer has salt shakers and vinegar. There is even a wooden stand with holes in it for people to put their cones in for salt and spray.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I have had good luck with fries (and a few other things) in our air fryer. The key is using a spray oil with the food, and mixing up the basket a couple of times (with a couple more squirts of the spray oil) as you cook. It takes time to figure out how long to leave them in, but once you figure that out, it seems to work well for us.

Bubba

Cyburbian
"Disco Frites"

A mound of crispy, golden brown french fries serves as a foundation of carbohydrates, topped with rich duck “gravy” — shredded duck in a savory brown sauce. Layered on top of the generous serving of duck are slices of melty, unctuous brie, which continue to spread over the hot dish. Topped with a duck egg over easy and a handful of herbs, the disco frites check the same boxes as a mound of chili cheese fries scarfed down after a college party.