• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Gathering Glurge

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It started out innocently enough. A few fake plants to compete with my real orange tree, sequoia, and ivy. But now it seems the glurge is starting to gather in little corners and on the shelves of the office. It has not crept into my own office - yet.

Why!? Is there a reason this crap appears? Is someone out to get me? Do others have to contend with this sort of thing?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Oh man, that sucks. It must feel like you are working in a Hallmark Store.

Every once in a while some flowers will appear, but they soon die and our counter area returns to its stale, yet charming state.

Habanero

Cyburbian
OMG, that's in your office building? YIKES! I know a few people up here think it's cute to bring that crap in, but ick. It's just not professional IMO.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our receptionist's entire rear wall is covered with framed pics of cute little puppies, kittens, and other baby animals. I can't take a photo to post because she'd probably get suspicious and take my camera.

BKM

Cyburbian
We go a little overboard at the holiday times, and the secretaries sometimes get flowers, but we are otherwise glurge-free.

EXCEPT: The (amateurish) architecture photographs that I've taken and framed. They have spread throughout the office, sadly. Because I took them, I notice every flaw of composition, lighting or framing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Our receptionist's entire rear wall is covered with framed pics of cute little puppies, kittens, and other baby animals. I can't take a photo to post because she'd probably get suspicious and take my camera.
Yes, I snuck around today when I was the only person in the office.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Yes, I snuck around today when I was the only person in the office.
I was wondering about that. LOL

My secretary is worse than what you have. But I finally got rid of all the stinky candles citing fire hazards with all the papers we have around.

boiker

Cyburbian
decoration

i just added some personal flavor to my cube space. My simpsons figurines... Dolph, Carl, Kent Brockman, and Professor Frink. Also... a Clone Trooper gaurds the entrance to my cube..... hopefully, no jedi will stop by and gain clearance with a jedi mind trick :)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I know some things are a little overboard ie. the teddy bears and the froo froos.....but there's got to be an allowance for decor....people that work in a workstation /cubicle NEED to personalize the generally drab, plain, colorless space. It stimulates thinking therefore increases progress. Especially in government offices, I can't imagine the city willing to fork out the cash for the newer, more eye-friendly workstations.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
Especially in government offices, I can't imagine the city willing to fork out the cash for the newer, more eye-friendly workstations.
While I had noticed an increase in glurge (and clutter) over the past few months, it wasn't until I got approval for an office make-over that I really took stock of it. After painting, touching up the paneling and woodwork, and installing new carpet and dividers, I am not going to have the office looking less than professional! The old mis-matched furniture goes to the annual auction, visible glurge must be kept to a minimum, and there will be no clutter in public areas of the building. (It's good to be king.)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jessie-J said:
I can't imagine the city willing to fork out the ash for the newer, more eye-friendly workstations.
We did 2 years ago. All offices were crammed into the basement for 6 months while they completely remodelled the offices. They were wise enough to buy all new furniture too, matching and everything. It was supposed to be a 20 year fix, and we're out of space already. That and $2,000,000 later we still have creeping glurge.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
Especially in government offices, I can't imagine the city willing to fork out the cash for the newer, more eye-friendly workstations.
Ain't that the truth. I've been trying to get our building manager to paint my office for the past four months I've been here. I've even offered to bring in a gallon of paint and do it myself but still no doing. I'm afraid that I'm going to start a gathering glurge just to cover-up these nasty walls.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
my office has dog pictures and pics of the family in colourful frames, a couple dog related cartoons taped to the back of files (that make up my office walls.

I have a hole of a work space so i had to do something to lighten it up or go mad.

tsc

Cyburbian
oh.. that is awful.. .. I used to work for a smaller town.. and town hall was located in an old elementary school.. for some reason the secretaries felt compelled to decorate it at each holiday....like it was still a elementary school....

I hated it.

I love the sterile cube environment I work in..... where decorations are minimal... although a guy 2 cubes over has a Canadian flag...but I don't hold it against him.

I have one ,,,no 2 photos of my dog.... and then my GIS Mapping projects.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
What I actually meant by that was that the older-style cubicles are REALLY stark, sterile and generally boring, imo. There are newer styles out like Herman Miller's Resolve that are so much more interesting and stimulating. They do cost a bit more, but like I said, doesn't seem like gov't offices would be willing to fork out the $$$.

H

Cyburbian
We cant glurge :(

Good thing or my office would be TENNESSEE ORANGE ;)

Do you find that the ones who decorate their office/work space with glurge are the ones who generally send the glurge email?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Do you find that the ones who decorate their office/work space with glurge are the ones who generally send the glurge email?
Yes, one of the administrative assistants at my last had a glurge filled desk and was always sending office wide e-mails about puppies, hugging your kids, praying for #3's eternal soul and Precious Moments tm drawings. The two seem to go hand in hand.

biscuit said:
Yes, one of the administrative assistants at my last had a glurge filled desk and was always sending office wide e-mails about puppies, hugging your kids, praying for #3's eternal soul and Precious Moments tm drawings. The two seem to go hand in hand.
Definitely agreed.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I doubt one has figured out how to use the e-mail on her computer yet. Sad, but true.