• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The GOAT

michaelskis

Cyburbian
When I was a kid, goat was not a good thing, and even worse if you were a cubs fan. But today it is short for Greatest Of All Time.

So the question is for the sports you follow, who is the Goat?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Try again. Brady with a different coach or a different team is a mid to good qb. There were others that could smoke him in a heart beat.
I'll be charitable, Brady is a good qb no matter how you cut it by NFL standards. He's part of the reason the Patriots have been such a force this past decade, but is by no means the principle reason for their success. You're correct that it's important to see how the qb fits into totality of the team's fabric. There's coaching, but there's also the other players' strengths and weaknesses to take into consideration. Sometimes great qb's are surrounded by mediocre talent and may not necessarily have the most wins with their names.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Brady or Bolt or Phelps...perhaps...in one sport.

But...what about objective success in two major US sport leagues?

Bo Jackson

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try again. Brady with a different coach or a different team is a mid to good qb. There were others that could smoke him in a heart beat.
Elway # 7
Roger Staubach, Dan Marino and others come to mind.
I'll be charitable, Brady is a good qb no matter how you cut it by NFL standards. He's part of the reason the Patriots have been such a force this past decade, but is by no means the principle reason for their success. You're correct that it's important to see how the qb fits into totality of the team's fabric. There's coaching, but there's also the other players' strengths and weaknesses to take into consideration. Sometimes great qb's are surrounded by mediocre talent and may not necessarily have the most wins with their names.

Okay people, hate all you want, we are on to number 7

I wonder who we will play next year?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Okay people, hate all you want, we are on to number 7

View attachment 24726

View attachment 24727

View attachment 24728

I wonder who we will play next year?
I'm not a hater. He's a good quarterback. However Boston/New England's obsession with him has more than a bit of tunnel vision. A little bit of perspective is sorely needed. There are plenty of quarterbacks better than him. It will be interesting after he retires and has been out for several years where he ultimately ranks. Plus, there will be somebody that comes after him that will be better.

DVD

Cyburbian
Just jumping on the hate Brady band wagon. All those stats are subjective. He has more wins because he has played longer than some of the others. Does that make him better? Not necessarily. I'll take Joe Montana for his ability to read a defense in seconds and get the ball to a receiver. Does that make him the greatest? I'll still say no. It was the offensive line that gave him minutes in the pocket to read that defense. It was having players like Rice that could catch anything that came at him. He was good, but his team made him great. I think the same thing goes for Brady. And let's not forget that it's defense that wins games, not the QB. FYI, I hate Elway with his stupid grin, but I'll take his arm and accuracy any day.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm not a Patriots fan but comments like this absolutely kill me. Every QB is a "system" QB. A good coach will develop his scheme to fit the players he has or go out and find players that will fit into his scheme. Brady has been performing at such a high level for so long that people use anything to say "oh it's the coach" or "it's the team he's on". Couldn't you say that about any player? The fact that he's consistently performed at a high level for so long is a testament to his excellence. TD/INT ratio near the top of all time, top 5 career QB rating, and of course, he just wins. I have perspective because I don't even root for the Pats. I'm not saying he's the GOAT because I think that conversation is impossible, especially across different eras. I mean how do you truly compare Brady with say Johnny Unitas? In Johnny U's day you could absolutely kill the QB AFTER he threw the ball. Plus he called his own plays. But regardless, I don't think there are "plenty" of QB's better than Brady.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Martin Brodeur.
Had the immense pleasure of watching him in action (for two of the three periods) from seats four rows back from the glass and a bit in front of the goal line as the Devils beat my formerly beloved Thrashers - it was just so damn effortless for him. Incredible.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm not a Patriots fan but comments like this absolutely kill me. Every QB is a "system" QB. A good coach will develop his scheme to fit the players he has or go out and find players that will fit into his scheme. Brady has been performing at such a high level for so long that people use anything to say "oh it's the coach" or "it's the team he's on". Couldn't you say that about any player? The fact that he's consistently performed at a high level for so long is a testament to his excellence. TD/INT ratio near the top of all time, top 5 career QB rating, and of course, he just wins. I have perspective because I don't even root for the Pats. I'm not saying he's the GOAT because I think that conversation is impossible, especially across different eras. I mean how do you truly compare Brady with say Johnny Unitas? In Johnny U's day you could absolutely kill the QB AFTER he threw the ball. Plus he called his own plays. But regardless, I don't think there are "plenty" of QB's better than Brady.
I agree that GOAT is asinine, be it any sport. Different rules, different philosophies, different training, etc. It's tough comparing one era to the another one.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had the immense pleasure of watching him in action (for two of the three periods) from seats four rows back from the glass and a bit in front of the goal line as the Devils beat my formerly beloved Thrashers - it was just so damn effortless for him. Incredible.
He was amazing in the net and behind it as well. You know you are a GOAT when the NHL institutes a rule limiting where a goalie can play because you're that good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Any time you have a player that so dominates a sport that the officials have to change the rules of the game to accommodate them can make serious claim to GOAT status. In this respect, Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul Jabbar come notably to mind.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Baseball lowers the pitching mound from 15 to 10 inches to give hitters a chance.
GOAT

Top Bottom