• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Godfather, dead at 80.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
No, not the godfather from the WWE. The Godfather, Marlon Brando, has died at 80. Must have been they appetite and weight gain.

nerudite

Cyburbian
RIP big guy. He was an amazing actor that really revolutionized the craft. His early movies were my favourite. I unfortunately couldn't make it through the Godfather... I have fallen asleep every time. :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My Favorite was On The Waterfront (1954)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0047296/maindetails

Great Cast -
Marlon Brando .... Terry Malloy Won Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role 1955

Karl Malden .... Father Barry
Lee J. Cobb .... Johnny Friendly
Rod Steiger .... Charley
Eva Marie Saint .... Edie Doyle
Martin Balsam .... Gilette, Glover's colleague (as Marty Balsam)
Fred Gwynne .... Slim, dock henchman

Classic Quote:

Charley Malloy: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.

Terry Malloy: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

Charley Malloy: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.

Terry Malloy: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
JNA said:
My Favorite was On The Waterfront (1954)
What a great, classic film. One of my favorites, and definitely Brando's best performance. I'll never forget a few years ago when On the Waterfront's director Elia Kazan won a life achievement Oscar and was dissed by many of the enlightened ones in the audience because Kazan told the truth about anti-American activities by some of his colleagues during the 1950's. A different time, a time of some great films with great actors like Marlon Brando. RIP.