• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Labor Day weekend Milwaukee will be mobbed with 1000s upon 1000s of motorcycles for the "homecoming" event.

Being the child of a Harley exec, a recent Harley owner myself, and a long time Milwaukee area resident, I thought this was going to be cool. I bought tickets to all of the premier events, then realized, "this CROWD is going to suck more than a Dave Mathews Band concert!"

So I sold my tickets and I'm getting the hell out of town for 4 days. I currently have no plans, and my first choice of visiting a friend in Florida is nixxed by his untimely incarceration.

Any one have a suggestion for a good 4 day road trip? (Mt Rushmore / Black Hills is already planned prior to that).

BKM

Cyburbian
I cannot think of a more disgusting thing than seeing a crowd of naked bikers. :)

Sorry bikers.

Sorry naked people.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is one of my favorite "long weekend" getaways. The cliffs make for spectacular hiking along the shore, there are two great beaches, you can rent a kayak and cruise out to some shipwrecks, the maple/beech/birch woods are nice and cool, there are plenty of waterfalls, and some sand dunes. There is a micro-brewery in Grand Marais worth checking out. On the way up you can check out the ghost town of Fayette. It is about 5-6 hours from Milwaukee to Munising.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I too am getting outta Milwaukee for this event. I enjoyed the 90th and 95th, but I am glad I will be gone. Every bar will be packed, streets will be closed and jammed with people, and the rumble of harleys will be non stop for about 1 week. I am going to a friend's wedding in Missoula, Montana followed by a week at and around Glacier National Park. My brother, who just got a Harley this past weekend, will likely use my apartment during the festivities.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Feo said:
The potential for jokes about panheads, knuckleheads, V-twins, fatboys, etc. are endless!
LOL I rode a Hugger!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
heeh well there is DC in the summer-hot and hotter but lovely places to go ride your bike (went for the first time last weekend)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seven days until the big events start. The insanity is starting to hit. The lakefront is a tent city, hogs are already everywhere, streets are closed or being posted as closing soon in preparation for massive block parties all over town. Refrigerated beer trucks are already parked around town. There is a 'top secret' concert being staged. Mystery artist, no one knows who. Rumors are (1) The Stones, (2) Billy Joel / Elton John (3) Mellencamp (4) Eagles. My dad works for Harley and he claims he knows who it is, and he's tormenting me my keeping the secret.

I get all teary eyed evertime I see a giant "Welcome Home" banner. Just kidding.

I decided to partake of the block parties Thursday, hit the lakefront parties Friday, and get out of Town Saturday through Monday. Have a room booked at a hotel right by Grant park in Chicago.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Not to rain on your parade, but someone should be up there impounding bikes with straight pipes.

Jen

Cyburbian
My sis in law was one of the 5000 riders chosen to participate in the parade - but she doesn't know how to drive a motorcycle and she can't give the ticket to her husband and I guess there are no passengers allowed in the parade so her parade pass is going in the scrapbook!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Not to rain on your parade, but someone should be up there impounding bikes with straight pipes.
After living 20ft from US59 for a few months, I think it's the semis without mufflers that need the healthy fine. Crap, they are are louder than Harleys and it takes them twice as long to go by.

SGB

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I actually saw/heard a quiet pair of Harleys the other week. It was a pleasant surprise.

It would be nice if straight pipe bans were enforced, but somehow I suspect that's way down on the law enforcement priority list in most communities.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Rumors are (1) The Stones, (2) Billy Joel / Elton John (3) Mellencamp (4) Eagles. My dad works for Harley and he claims he knows who it is, and he's tormenting me my keeping the secret.
Tim McGraw was also mentioned.

Elton seems a little "fabulous" for Harley Festivities.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I just got word on the secret band!

I hear they are fabulous! And look they have a "motorcycle enthusiast", no wait, they have two!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
That's the old band. They recruited a former drummer for Frankie goes to Hollywood, and the rythm guitar player for a local Milwaukee band, The Jamesons.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Chet,
It is very sad that you know those facts. Is that Pru-Diddy in the photo?