• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The headline is funny in Cyburbia context but:

jordanb

Cyburbian
In several cases, it appears the attacker kills the cat, then taunts the owner by bringing back the remains.
That reminds me of something but I just can't place it....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thank God that story didnt break during the Denver conference!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I don't like cat's.... but that is messed up.

Some people in this world are sick. It is because of those people, I loose faith in humanity.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This won't be a popular position, but if it makes people keep their cats indoors, I'm all for it. If I have to see the remains of some poor bird, then these people can deal with the sight of their gutted Fluffy. Cat's do not belong outside.

Jeff

Cyburbian
We have 2 cats that never go outside. Outdoors really is no place for a domesticated animal.

I wish someone would come serial-kill the stray cats in my neighborhood. I hate those things.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
This won't be a popular position, but if it makes people keep their cats indoors, I'm all for it. If I have to see the remains of some poor bird, then these people can deal with the sight of their gutted Fluffy. Cat's do not belong outside.
I totally agree, and they should be de-clawed just in case they escape to give the birds a chance. Feral cats are a real problem, and I have no problem killing them with a bullet to the head. Torture is another thing though.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I agree that cats should be kept inside. Lately I've taken to spraying my neighbor's cats with a hose because they keep stalking the chipmunks and birds when they come to my yard.

But I definitely don't condone torturing, shooting, or in any way hurting some poor animal. Michael Stumpf, I'm surprised at you!

There is a strong correlation between animal cruelty and violence against humans... see: http://www.hsus.org/ace/15866

jordanb

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I totally agree, and they should be de-clawed just in case they escape to give the birds a chance. Feral cats are a real problem, and I have no problem killing them with a bullet to the head. Torture is another thing though.
Cats should never be declawed. The practice is terribly inhumane and can result in behavioral problems.

Look at this: http://www.declawing.com/

Habanero

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Cats should never be declawed. The practice is terribly inhumane and can result in behavioral problems.

Look at this: http://www.declawing.com/
Cats should lose the use of their claws, if not by declawing then through tendon cutting. What about the cats that are declawed beacuse they rip everything to shreds, to me that is also a behavioral problem and there is an easy way to fix it.

jordanb

Cyburbian
They address both of those issues on that site. Cats should be trained not to use their claws in a destructive manner, but there are ways to inhibit the use of the claw without invasive surgery. Personally I'd much rather have a cat with a scratching problem than a spraying problem.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmmm cats naturally belong outside.... so learn to live with it, torturing or killing a cat (or any other animal) is obviously wrong (Capt'n Obvious) and if the cat or animal bothers you you should use other (non-lethal) methods, like spraying water at them... after a while they'll learn.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
hmmm cats naturally belong outside.... .
Agreed, just not in an ecosystem where they are not native.

BKM

Cyburbian
The killer is a sicko, but I also dislike my neighbors who feed the rampant stray cat population in my neighborhood. (We have a brood of feral kittens right now in our condo's courtyard). If these kind souls were willing to shovel the afermath of their kindness, that would be one thing. God, it stinks, and two of my dogs love to eat their "kittie roca." :(

BKM

Cyburbian
Skeleton: Dogs, and people for that matter, also "belong outside". Should we just learn to "live with" packs of stray dogs (or tribes of "natural" hunters and gatherers-which humans were for 95% of our history).

H

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I wish someone would come serial-kill the stray cats in my neighborhood. I hate those things.
I'm with you. There are some nasty ones by the dumpster at my building and they creep into the courtyard at night. One night I opened my door and it flew in my house and under my bed started hissing and would not come out.

...I about killed a cat that night. :)

iamme

Cyburbian
my aunt sets food out for those vile things. Then last january one wanted to come inside and ran into her basement. A few days later as she tried to scare it out it scratched her very nicely and she spent about a week in the hospital with cat scratch fever. Don't get me wrong, I love domesticated, indoor cats. But do you blame me for hating semi-wild cats, how would you feel about wild packs of dogs running around your neighborhood?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Skeleton: Dogs, and people for that matter, also "belong outside". Should we just learn to "live with" packs of stray dogs (or tribes of "natural" hunters and gatherers-which humans were for 95% of our history).
Interesting that you should bring up wild dogs. There has been a great deal of discussion of wolves in Wisconsin, where they have on occassion roamed as far south as Madison and have entered Door County as well. Do they belong? I would argue that they do, as part of the native ecosystem. Some people are afraid of them, though, and think they should be hunted or trapped to keep them away from their little foo-foo dogs or cats.

In answer to Mud Princess, o be honest, I dislike cats enough that so lond as they are killed, I am not going to be too particular about how. I would agree that they (or any other animal) should not be tortured. Still, shooting them, drowning them, eviscerating them, or any number of other techniques are just as satisfactory.